Gamebore super steel

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cookoff013
Blimey,

If you are shooting the trap houses you are doing something wrong :angry: :wacko:

maybe thats why my scores are that bad !

am i not supposed to ricochet the shot off the trap house first?

:lol:???;):lol:

I use Gamebore 71/2 Steel for all my decoying and they are fine out to 35 yds, after that they lose steam.

I use steel because my pigeon buyer insists on it so i have got used to them, he gives me a good price fresh or frozen.

I currently pay £34 for 250.

They don't perform as good as lead i agree, but 90% of my birds are over the deeks, ie. under 35yds so they are fine.

I shot over a thousand birds last spring with them, so they can't be that bad.

For the purists out there who want to kill birds at fifty yards they won't do it with any consistency, so get your birds in close and you don't notice any difference.

Im the same as "richg" I am happy to use them, superb over decoys, my preference is 30 yards tops, the same story if your barrels in the right place, pigeons dead.

28g £108.00 for a thousand last price check

• 8 years later...

There really is some rubbish talked about steel shot on this forum, if its banned it will be nothing to do with some people shooting it for their own needs r reasons, I shoot feral pigeons with gb competition steel regularly because its all I'm allowed to use because its near animal feed in a big mill, we shoot 2 / 3 thousand birds between 6 r 8 guns regularly and the birds r 50 yards high after the first 20 minutes of shooting, not allowed to film it r I would post it up, yes u hada hit the front half of the bird but that's as technical as it gets,sorry for the rant just hada get it off my chest lol 

Guest cookoff013
12 hours ago, Maxus Hunter said:

There really is some rubbish talked about steel shot on this forum, if its banned it will be nothing to do with some people shooting it for their own needs r reasons, I shoot feral pigeons with gb competition steel regularly because its all I'm allowed to use because its near animal feed in a big mill, we shoot 2 / 3 thousand birds between 6 r 8 guns regularly and the birds r 50 yards high after the first 20 minutes of shooting, not allowed to film it r I would post it up, yes u hada hit the front half of the bird but that's as technical as it gets,sorry for the rant just hada get it off my chest lol 

Old steel shells were very bad. Very slow

On 10/02/2010 at 09:21, richg said:

I could get steel in a larger shot size but the price rockets. They load 7.1/2s for clay shooting which means big runs that keeps the price down. At the moment i pay £34 for 250 cartridges, and as for useing 7.1/2 shot for pigeon, I have always maintained that pattern beats penetration every time, we are not shooting foxes here, multiple strikes of small shot hitting the head, neck, wings, ect will knock pigeons down time after time, i have done it for years and i am quite happy to prove it to any sceptics out there.

By the way i have just started using my brand spanking new REMINGTON 1187 SPORTSMAN CAMO (5 Shot) and it's the DOGS DANGLIES. I love it

So you're saying that a lot of little slaps from a 6 yo kid will knock you down more efficiently than a jab fromike Tyson? Bit of ballistic reading required here....7 is used for close in doves and quails.... Not exactly high winter pigeons. Steel also kills by penetration not kinetic energy transfer (or lack of it) like lead and is a lot lighter so, smaller pellets lose speed and down range energy a lot faster than lead on a like for like pellet size. That explain why the bigger pellets cost more: more efficient more market more profits.

I

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 16:22, Continental Shooter said:

So you're saying that a lot of little slaps from a 6 yo kid will knock you down more efficiently than a jab fromike Tyson? Bit of ballistic reading required here....7 is used for close in doves and quails.... Not exactly high winter pigeons. Steel also kills by penetration not kinetic energy transfer (or lack of it) like lead and is a lot lighter so, smaller pellets lose speed and down range energy a lot faster than lead on a like for like pellet size. That explain why the bigger pellets cost more: more efficient more market more profits.

I must be missing something here. Are you saying that lead doesn't penetrate in order to kill?

19 hours ago, motty said:

I

I must be missing something here. Are you saying that lead doesn't penetrate in order to kill?

I'm saying that unlike steel, is not necessary for lead to penetrate in order to kill. Kinetic energy transferred from lead pellets will cause sufficient trauma on impact causing internal organs failures, providing they carry sufficient downrange energy. 

1 hour ago, Continental Shooter said:

I'm saying that unlike steel, is not necessary for lead to penetrate in order to kill. Kinetic energy transferred from lead pellets will cause sufficient trauma on impact causing internal organs failures, providing they carry sufficient downrange energy. 

I have never seen a very bruised pigeon...seen lots of holes though.......both make holes,lead sure carries bit more at extremes but at normal/sensible ranges I believe it is pattern that kills ie 7/71/2s great on pigeon as is steel as get more bits of shot...

2 hours ago, Continental Shooter said:

Rubbish.

8 hours ago, dougall said:

I have never seen a very bruised pigeon...seen lots of holes though.......both make holes,lead sure carries bit more at extremes but at normal/sensible ranges I believe it is pattern that kills ie 7/71/2s great on pigeon as is steel as get more bits of shot...

Lead deforms on impact steel doesnt

7 hours ago, motty said:

Rubbish.

Yeah, I know, anything scientifically proven tends to be rubbish for a lot of you...intend to stick to what I studied rather than what I guess. I know it's probably not your kind of reading but any forensic book or medical test on bullet impact would explain it in more details

Edited by Continental Shooter

57 minutes ago, Continental Shooter said:

Yeah, I know, anything scientifically proven tends to be rubbish for a lot of you...intend to stick to what I studied rather than what I guess. I know it's probably not your kind of reading but any forensic book or medical test on bullet impact would explain it in more details

I don't know what science books you have been reading, but they are likely to have been written by someone that had been smoking something!

How can lead pellets kill something if it doesn't penetrate? Have you actually shot much live quarry?

And please, don't tell me that lead pellets "mushroom". They don't.

1 hour ago, motty said:

I don't know what science books you have been reading, but they are likely to have been written by someone that had been smoking something!

How can lead pellets kill something if it doesn't penetrate? Have you actually shot much live quarry?

And please, don't tell me that lead pellets "mushroom". They don't.

Being just a country lad and having shot all types of quarry for many years i have never brought down any quarry that did not have pellet penetration albeit sometimes just one pellet in the right place does the job

Never in  over 40 odd years of shooting have i picked up a dead species that  has'nt had a pellet through it's anatomy  BUT none has died of so called kinetic fright which i can only suggest is a load of male cow dung

If this was the case then surely we could have cartridges loaded with high velocity filled biodegradable rice that would kill the quarry through fright or kinetic g force

With a little diversification and a few added ingreniants one could have a ready made Idian as the bird drops to the ground with no holes in it

Twice this season i took right and left pheasant  dropped and i marked them only to find later one got back up and flew off  another i sent my dogs out to retrieve to find that one had flew off

Obviously stunned but pellets had'nt penetrated  but not traumatised enough to kill off their organs Much to the disgust of my spaniels that i kept at heel till the drive finnished

Arable farmers put out gas bird scarers that set off a bang at periodic times So why does no one invent one of these machines that will kill the birds through kinetic energy    Because they can'nt

Question Do you shoot clay pigeons with kinetic energy  Or is it a pellet that breaks the clay ?

WE ALL await your  scientific answer

I won't even quote the **** you keyboard woriors have written, but there's more rubbish in the last two post than a recycling centre. Why would I even want to waste my time trying to explain something you won't understand? Live in your world and enjoy. You both said it....you shoot a lot so, that probably steel all the time you'd have free to try and actually learn the science behind it....i shoot less and study more and that give me something you'll probably never have: knowledge.  There is a reason why the 5/6 folks that used to write here based of factual  knowledge don't write  anymore.....As saying goes: ignorance is bliss and I am glad you're so blessed. I don't try to teach your job so .... Peace n'love

Edited by Continental Shooter

I won't even quote the **** you keyboard woriors have written, but there's more rubbish in the last two post than a recycling centre. Why would I even want to waste my time trying to explain something you won't understand? Live in your world and enjoy. You both said it....you shoot a lot so, that probably steel all the time you'd have free to try and actually learn the science behind it....i shoot less and study more and that give me something you'll probably never have: knowledge.  There is a reason why the 5/6 folks that used to write here based of factual  knowledge don't write  anymore.....As saying goes: ignorance is bliss and I am glad you're so blessed. I don't try to teach your job so .... Peace n'love

You have to admit, it’s a preposterous theory when you think about it! Hundreds of years of ballistics design based on the best way to penetrate, coupled with the best material regards expansion, velocity and wound channels. And none of it necessary!  

1 hour ago, Scully said:

You have to admit, it’s a preposterous theory when you think about it! Hundreds of years of ballistics design based on the best way to penetrate, coupled with the best material regards expansion, velocity and wound channels. And none of it necessary!  

I did not say anywhere that lead doesn't penetrate. I said it is not necessary for it to penetrate in order to generate a kill.... Which is relatively different to your statement above. It's a matter of physics you can't just argue with conjectures. There are also hundreds of researxhes and publication in  forensic medicine and ballistic which  supports that. Without going into technicalities: have you ever happened to clean a bird and find pellets under the skin but massive hemorrhages where the pellets stroke the bird? Well, that's it, kinetic energy in crude terms. If you open the quarry you'll find also internal hemorrhages and guess what happens when you get internal hemorrhages?

Even I human bodies, a through and through bullet is not considered as damaging as one that stuck inside... You can confirm that watching CSI/NCIS of you can't be bothered reading the relevant journals or publications

Hope this clarifies

40 minutes ago, Continental Shooter said:

I did not say anywhere that lead doesn't penetrate. I said it is not necessary for it to penetrate in order to generate a kill.... Which is relatively different to your statement above. It's a matter of physics you can't just argue with conjectures. There are also hundreds of researxhes and publication in  forensic medicine and ballistic which  supports that. Without going into technicalities: have you ever happened to clean a bird and find pellets under the skin but massive hemorrhages where the pellets stroke the bird? Well, that's it, kinetic energy in crude terms. If you open the quarry you'll find also internal hemorrhages and guess what happens when you get internal hemorrhages?

Even I human bodies, a through and through bullet is not considered as damaging as one that stuck inside... You can confirm that watching CSI/NCIS of you can't be bothered reading the relevant journals or publications

Hope this clarifies

This is pure fantasy! In what world do pellets not have enough energy to penetrate further than skin, yet cause massive internal trauma?

Anyway, you have basically contradicted yourself. Surely, by your logic, steel shot will equally kill by penetrating just skin, and imparting its energy through the body.