Gamebore super steel

Hi,

I fancy giving some steel cartridges a tryout on the clays and apparently Gamebore's super steel seem to be the way forward? I was just wondering what people where paying per thousand for 24gr plastic and 28gr plastic. I find just cartridges arn't that cheap and can always be beaten by either my local gunshop or clay ground unless they're in the bin ends section.

Joe

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I paid £100 per 1000 for my last load of 24g Gamebore Super Steel. They may have gone up slightly, but not a lot.

Very good cartridges for close clays. Not good for longer ranges though, the shot runs out of steam quicker than lead.

Biggest problem you'll have is finding somewhere you can use them legally, as most clay grounds have banned them on alleged safety issues.

It's ricochets that cause the problem apparently. If steel shot hits something hard. it doesn't splatter like lead, it pings off in any direction you like.

Some wooded grounds have also banned it, as steel pellets embedded in timber are a hazard if a power saw hits them, if forestry is a possibility on the land.

I'm not buying any more. I'm just sticking with one cartridge in future, for consistency's sake. I used to shoot a few different ones, but I can see that wasn't doing my shooting any good.

dangerous??? Please explain. Surely the steel will be cheaper if you buy them in bulk too? I just fancy a bit of a change especially since cartridge prices have just gone up.

Joe

Would've thought danger from ricochets off banks/water/ danger to tree felliers..

Also some chokes don't like steel so it's easier to ban it then be certain everyone knows for sure that they can use it in their fully choked guns and risk a barrel blowing up

Edited by Shuck.

Guest topshot_2k
dangerous??? Please explain. Surely the steel will be cheaper if you buy them in bulk too? I just fancy a bit of a change especially since cartridge prices have just gone up.

Joe

steel ricochets of hard surfaces, water etc even hard soil. A lot of places dont allow steel for safety reasons. Stick to lead, its better performing :lol:

Cheers chard,

I've never heard of ricochets before??? as far as i'm aware it's still k to use at the grounds i go. I know it's really hard to say but roughly what range wud u say steel is k up to?? wud i be ok using them on dtl and ball trap??

Joe

They're great for skeet and everything at Worsley (where they're banned), and I reckon they're fine for DTL, but that ABT range they have at Worsley is quite extreme :lol:

I always feel happier with a fast lead cartridge on that ABT, but that might be psychological.

I don't like them on targets over about 35 yards (ish).

I've shot thousands of them and never been aware of any ricochets :oops: but there could be heaps of bodies in the woods for all I know :o :lol: :lol: :hmm::lol:

Edited by Chard

I believe that steel shot and the people who buy it will eventually bring about the banning of lead shot cartridges for all types of shooting.

The green parties would like lead banned as would the environmental bodies too.

I can remember when steel was more expensive than lead then all of a sudden it's so cheap, comparatively speaking.

Just imagine how profit margins would go up if the cartridge loaders only had to fill hoppers with cheap steel and nothing else.

Shoot it at your own peril.

The only problems i've heard with steel is chokes ect and being steel proofed. I've heard they're really good for skeet due to the increase in shot in the air.

Joe

I'd agree they're good for skeet :oops:

This chokes thing is a bit odd. People tell you (except Gamebore) that steel should never be put through anything tighter than half choke.

I think that's a load of old cock. They shoot it through full choke all the time in the US of A :lol:

However, the gun definitely needs to be proofed for steel and I wouldn't use large shot through tighter chokes, but 7.5 or 8 is fine, in my opinion. I've shot loads though my Mossberg which is a fixed full choke barrel.

The risk with tight chokes is that, as the shot gets compressed as it squeezes through the restricted width of a tight choke, the pellets won't squash or deform, so they could jam causing a catastrophic barrel failure. Probably a bigger risk with large shot. The Yanks don't seem to lose much sleep over it.

Edited by Chard

I use 28g steel gamebore through my old baikal and IF i manage to hit a pigeon :lol: its sure dead,but has made my life as a beginner a bit harder because of the tight pattern.

The last time i bought any 250 for£38.50,was told by the dealer that the local game keepers use them.

I use 28g steel gamebore through my old baikal and IF i manage to hit a pigeon :good: its sure dead,but has made my life as a beginner a bit harder because of the tight pattern.

The last time i bought any 250 for£38.50,was told by the dealer that the local game keepers use them.

I use Gamebore 71/2 Steel for all my decoying and they are fine out to 35 yds, after that they lose steam.

I use steel because my pigeon buyer insists on it so i have got used to them, he gives me a good price fresh or frozen.

I currently pay £34 for 250.

They don't perform as good as lead i agree, but 90% of my birds are over the deeks, ie. under 35yds so they are fine.

I shot over a thousand birds last spring with them, so they can't be that bad.

For the purists out there who want to kill birds at fifty yards they won't do it with any consistency, so get your birds in close and you don't notice any difference.

Guest cookoff013

7.5s steel for decoying?

would going up a couple a shotsize help?

i burned off a load o 4`s and they did ok. through a 1/4.

through a supanova.

Edited by cookoff013

7.5s steel for decoying?

would going up a couple a shotsize help?

i burned off a load o 4`s and they did ok. through a 1/4.

through a supanova.

I could get steel in a larger shot size but the price rockets. They load 7.1/2s for clay shooting which means big runs that keeps the price down. At the moment i pay £34 for 250 cartridges, and as for useing 7.1/2 shot for pigeon, I have always maintained that pattern beats penetration every time, we are not shooting foxes here, multiple strikes of small shot hitting the head, neck, wings, ect will knock pigeons down time after time, i have done it for years and i am quite happy to prove it to any sceptics out there.

By the way i have just started using my brand spanking new REMINGTON 1187 SPORTSMAN CAMO (5 Shot) and it's the DOGS DANGLIES. I love it

hi I am useing gamebore steels through my 20 b0re for clays they work fine ,but are filthy with unburnt powder in breech area have tried diferent batch numbers but are all the same . even warmed them by radiator the night befor useing them still same result . Do you have same with 12 bores ? :lol:

hi I am useing gamebore steels through my 20 b0re for clays they work fine ,but are filthy with unburnt powder in breech area have tried diferent batch numbers but are all the same . even warmed them by radiator the night befor useing them still same result . Do you have same with 12 bores ? :good:

No, not at all. No dirtier than most cartridges, and certainly nothing that's difficult to clean out :good:

I believe that steel shot and the people who buy it will eventually bring about the banning of lead shot cartridges for all types of shooting.

The green parties would like lead banned as would the environmental bodies too.

I can remember when steel was more expensive than lead then all of a sudden it's so cheap, comparatively speaking.

Just imagine how profit margins would go up if the cartridge loaders only had to fill hoppers with cheap steel and nothing else.

Shoot it at your own peril.

I'd agree with that :good:

I only use steel for 'fowling and even with fairly heavy loads (3" 36g 4's) i'm well aware of it's limitations. I definately wouldn't use a steel clay load on pigeons. With a light projectile such as steel i wouldn't be confident of penetrating the vital organs to ensure a clean kill. Pattern may break a clay, but penetration kills live quarry.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cookoff013

if i shot lots of skeet then i`d use steel 7s.

the shame is, skeet usually has high house and low house made of bricks. so there is a ricky`o shea risk.

thats the only bad thing !