Ok Guys what grade of wood is this?

utectok

Just bought this for my old trusty Beretta. A left handed sporter stock with palmswell. Fitted it the other day and it looks splendid (tax refund paid for it hurray). Out of interest what grade of wood is it any ideas it has a satin finish and is new. In case you ask fleabay £385 but my old stock was held together with nails and glue thats my excuse but shssss she doesn't know yet!

Cheers Will

post-14386-1266083043.png

nice chunk of timber certainly grd 5 but not exhibition grade.

Don't you think? i saw a browning grade5 20 bore the other week, nice wood but not quite as nice as that, had a B2G with exhibition grade timber in my local shop a year or so ago, and ok i'll grant you it was quite a bit better but it was about 30yrs old. it just seems to me that gun manufacturers nowadays skimp a bit on their timber.

out of interest...

what grade would you say this was?

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...howtopic=114370

i know the pics aren't great but hey-ho....

Great looking gun mate a real nice stock too I presume thatis grade 5 timber too ? I find the ultra lights a bit light for me but each to his own lovely gun though!

Great shots harv I was wondering what is the diffrence between the yellowed coloured wood and the browner wood. Just tree to tree or somthing else?

The sapwood is creamy white , Heartwood is a rich chocolate or purplish brown in colour also age cut, different areas growing the the same species will produce variations hence an exhibition grade piece will be quite unique :lol:

The sapwood is creamy white , Heartwood is a rich chocolate or purplish brown in colour also age cut, different areas growing the the same species will produce variations hence an exhibition grade piece will be quite unique :good:

:good::lol::lol::lol:

...and which face of the tree...North or South makes for a potential big difference; soil/sun/rainfall/altitude/shelter etc, etc as suggested above also play a big part, nice bit of wood is great, but often adds a silly amount to the price, unfortunately we are loosing it more and more to synthetics these days, even on the shotguns.....

ATB!!