Do you shoot sitting down or standing up?

Whitebridges

BRUK,

You have strong opinion there. I shoot 99% sitting whilst decoying and yes I agree you are slightly restricted. However from my experience, I very rarely have birds flaring as they don't see me, I shoot slightly better than 50% average at pigeons, not great but not bad. I'm generally building my hides on Dry Stane Dykes which are probably less than 4feet high, so it suits me to be low, I always wear a face net and hat and dark colours.

Oh and I do usually manage a Right and left.

Hammy

Edited by HAMMY

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do a lot of wildfowling for geese and ducks so shoot from just about every position. Most of the time it's from a laid flat position, sitting up at the last minute.

Mark.

This is a great quality to have and the sign of a better than average shot in my opinion. I'd love to see how some of the expert clay shooters would get on doing this. I suspect some would be excellent (G Digweed?) and others not so sharp.

BRUK,

You have strong opinion there. I shoot 99% sitting whilst decoying and yes I agree you are slightly restricted. However from my experience, I very rarely have birds flaring as they don't see me, I shoot slightly better than 50% average at pigeons, not great but not bad. I'm generally building my hides on Dry Stane Dykes which are probably less than 4feet high, so it suits me to be low, I always wear a face net and hat and dark colours.

Oh and I do usually mange a Right and left.

Hammy

Agreed. I average about half as well, and none of 'em see me which is the real plus to sitting down

pardon the expression

but on me knee,s always when decoying

u then get the same swing as standing :D

pardon the expression

but on me knee,s always when decoying.

is that so you can say a prayer to help you hit them. :sly::lol: :o ;)

undefined

caught me out there it work,s try it :thumbs:

BRUK just because you can`t shoot sitting down don`t call those of us who can lazy and fat!! I never use camo clothes and birds don`t flare, but mostly land, so I must be doing something right.

I`ve been shooting pigeons for many years and I have developed a knack for shooting sitting or standing. There is a time for either method and if you can do both you have an advantage in the field.

now did i not say i some times shoot sitting down :sly: but you aint as good i tell thee ..standing up is the best way and only real way of hitting all the birds iv done it iv tride it, sitting down and will all ways say to my self stand up for your shots ..i will put my money were my mouth is and throw down the challage to any body :lol: you sit down and i will stand up and we will see whos right ..rules of the challage is i will set the hide up :thumbs: you must wear white and no face vale :o shot for shot i will win and the loser pays the other £50 any body up fot it ;)

me sitting down

rick008.jpg

me standing up

rick007.jpg

mate just poseing :D

pigeonshooting004.jpg

Edited by ROB REYNOLDS UK

Not in reply to your challenge Rob, I'll leave that for someone that knows what they're doing!!

Question though, if you're sat down inside your hide, how the hell do you shoot over the top of it, surely you must be blasting bits of your net/cammo away each time?

My experiences of hide shooting with air rifles doesn't really count as I could poke the gun out between the cammo as the air rifle needs to be kept still for the shot, but I thought the idea of shotgunning was to swing the barrels?

Wouldn't they get caught in the hide material? Or am I being a tad nieve here?

Anyway, anyone fancy Rob's CHALLENGE, ahem......

Marc

I think you'll find that the height of the hide will made relative to the height of the shooter, sitting or standding........ :thumbs:

I'm with you. I didn't expect the shooter to be so far back from the top of the hide, that's where I was going wrong. Cheers for the heads-up though.

Marc

now did i not say i some times shoot sitting down  :D but you aint as good i tell thee ..standing up is the best way and only real way of hitting all the birds iv done it iv tride it, sitting down and will all ways say to my self stand up for your shots ..i will put my money were my mouth is and throw down the challage to any body  :D you sit down and i will stand up and we will see whos right ..rules of the challage is i will set the hide up  ;)  you must wear white and no face vale  :/ shot for shot i will win and the loser pays the other £50    any body up fot it  :D

me sitting down

rick008.jpg

me standing up

rick007.jpg

mate just poseing  :lol:

pigeonshooting004.jpg

BRUK, great photo's Thanks for going to the trouble of posting them. You stand out a bit in the middle one if you don't mind me saying. I'm sure your stand up style is effective, excellent even. Keep your fifty mate shooting live birds isn't about that to my mind. You realise you've posted open season , if you raise your stake to some proper money you might get a suprise! :thumbs: :sly::lol: :o

well the £50 still stands for any body whos up for it :lol: hide building or should i say a proper hide should be of a hight were you are looking through it when sitting down ,not over the top of it ..in which case you have to stand to shoot any in comeing or landing birds just like in the video red letter days ,i will only stand up when the birds are in range and not before there is no pigeon alive that can out run a hull no6 :lol: so once its in your killing area it should be dead or its off not to be seen again ,when i stand up in my full cammo the birds do not see me i get out my seat nice and slowly,the first thing a pigeon will see is your face so a face vale is a must ..what gets me is this if the cammo net is going to do its job by hideing a person it must hide the full body inclueding the head if so how can you shoot a landing bird sitting down ?? if i was to use a air rifle i would be shooting sitting down with the barrel pokeing out the hide ...heres a video clip you have seen before of my mate shooting standing up .. please note the pigeon did not vear off in any way even though mate was in full view all becouse of his cammo id say

http://www.jusspress.com/day.php?userid=23...rentTime=131326

try again :lol: with the vid screen being so small you can not really make out some birds being seen shoot but they were honest :lol: the bottom video was me shooting a pigeon out to 50yrds :lol: that why you can not really see it but i can on the proper vid just ? the first vid you can see the wad going out the end of the gun that was also a 45yrd shot my mate willl never make a good camera man :lol:

http://www.jusspress.com/day.php?userid=23...rentTime=132442

http://www.jusspress.com/day.php?userid=23...rentTime=132602

http://www.jusspress.com/day.php?userid=23...rentTime=133150

BRUK, Wrong challenge!! Both guns should shoot sitting, and then both standing, then we`d see some results. :lol:

The human mind is like a parachute: They both work best when they are OPEN!!!

I`ll keep to my dual shooting positions, which definitely get results, with no need for cammo clothing, except for a face veil. Over the years I`ve found that the more pigeon shooting I do the more easy-peasy it becomes, and being able to shoot sitting down or standing up helps to give me an advantage. :lol:

BRUK Why must the challenger wear white and no face vale, you set up the hide?, this is surely not a fair challenge.

It's like saying I'll play you at tennis, you wear boots and play with a Badminton racket!

I think your a bit full of ..ite.

Let's move on your obviously the best, when playing by your rules.

Hammy

Edited by HAMMY

Rob,

Maybe you need a bit more practice mate!

Just because you can't shoot sitting down don't assume everyone else can't either.

I can shoot well from just about every uncomfortable position imaginable.

You don't always have the chance to build a hide with a huge back to cover your silhouette, having to build a hide the size of a house kind of limits where you can shoot. A proper pigeon shooter can adapt his shooting position to match the situation.

Mark.

as the true old saying goes practice practice practice and more practice if you ever want to be good at it ..i dont care how long some body as been shooting sitting down he will shoot better standing up to shoot. if sitting down the person should be faceing to the right if he is right handed but none of us do we all face forward, like i said i do shoot from sitting down if a bird catchs me out but i have proved to my self and shooting buddy that standing up is far better and miss far less .mind you i cant shoot :lol: so any body willing to take the challage is sure to win the £50 :< :lol::lol: im off crow shooting tomorrow and will try and do all my shots standing up if i can manage to lift my 23stone 7 lbs frame of the seat :lol:

Twenty three and a half stone, and you call us lazy and fat because we can shoot sitting down?? What a joke.

You know you can shoot standing up, but we know we can do both, so we have an advantage. Why you must face to the right, if right handed and sitting down, baffles me. With pigeons coming in from any direction surely facing to the front is as good as anything if you can get on to the bird without it seeing you?? I don`t think you understand much about pigeon decoying do you?

Well said M Robson. Adapting to the conditions is what pigeon shooting is all about and those who can`t will shoot less birds. Those of us who have been shooting for some time make it look easy because, after dealing with pigeons and other birds in so many different situations, you learn a thing or two!!

invector i think you are taking this all to heart :lol: who said it was fat :lol: not i :lol: cos i aint :lol: as for the sitting to the right im going by the clay shooting guys that are in their wheel chairs that i see all the time shooting, they shoot like iv'e said and they know a thing about shooting sitting down as they have no choice in the matter but i wonder how they would shoot if they could stand up ? invector i think your the man to put your money were you mouth is so i throw down the challenge to you to prove me wrong out in the field and lets see who's right or wrong you take all your shots sitting down as your so good at it and i will take all mine standing so what excuse will you give now to get out of it ??? ..its all good fun ???

here is i all 23 stone 7 lbs of fat

digging005.jpg

Edited by ernyha

rob how do you fined the time you hunt. you do bodybuilding. you have to look after and exercise the animals you have.  you must have a good job mate ???

first off i work for my self and next i have a good misses that helps me out with the dog all five of them 4 terriers and one bull x running dog ??? ochre cheers mate but im taken :lol: i do shooting sitting down and to be fair i shoot pretty well in fact my mate thinks im a top shot :lol: but when i miss i think to my self thats becouse i did not stand up for the shot, the thing is half the time im to busy watching the pigeon coming in i forget to stand up but try and make a point to stand its far better i dont care what any body says its the way to shoot how can you shoot a low right hand bird if you do not stand up ?? theres no way you can shoot a high right hand bird with out brakeing your neck unless you spin on your seat and even then it will be a hit and miss more like a miss ,,i agree that you can shoot a high left with ease sitting but a high right different matter .when sitting down shooting and when you are faceing forward try dry mounting your gun ,do it now with or with out your gun feels far better if its pointing over your left knee am i right ..thats why it best to face to the right a bit if shooting sitting down at a target pointing at 12.00ockl any body useing a chair insted of a drum type seat will be in trouble shooting sitting down i use the drum type a large one if truth be known :lol: more like a 45gal cut in half :lol: