Dispatching a Pigeon

Stuart049

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have only ever used one mothod. place the pigeons head between your index and middle finger with the body hanging, spin the body around at least one and a half times! there is always a little flapping tho.

And not a little blood splatter too :good:

• 3 weeks later...

Fast forward to 21.03, simple and quick :o

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="385">

Shot my first pigeon yesterday and winged it, had to dispatch it by hand and the head came off, blood everywhere, bit of a mess.. looking forward to eating it now for my tea! :good: Will definitely be looking this thread back up again before I go out the next day and hopefully try it on a few dead birds first!

• 1 month later...

Dont worry about it if you pull the head off. I did the first time i tried to dispatch it. I found a good way is to hold the bird like you are strangling it with your thump and finger and then bounce it up and down. The weight of the body breaks the neck quickly and kills the bird.

Dan

I find the easiest way to pull any birds neck is;

Hold the body or base of the wings in one hand, with the make full turn of the head (360 degrees) then tilt head back and pull away from the body.

You dont need to turn the head, but if you are a bit heavy handed, you will find the neck will click easier this way and you wont end up pulling the head off.

The last time I wrote this in a similar thread some years ago I got a lot of flack for it.

I`m a head biter and proud of it, and, as a method of dispatch it`s good to see a few more people using it.

Head biting was the preferred method of dispatch of the professional wildfowler for those species who`s head you can get your teeth round.

Death is almost instantaneous, the neck is not stretched, there is usually no blood and it can be done one handed, useful if holding a gun in the other.

You usually get the "bite pressure" about right on your third bird and then its plain sailing for the rest of your shooting career.

Edited by mudpatten

The last time I wrote this in a similar thread some years ago I got a lot of flack for it.

I`m a head biter and proud of it, and, as a method of dispatch it`s good to see a few more people using it.

Head biting was the preferred method of dispatch of the professional wildfowler for those species who`s head you can get your teeth round.

Death is almost instantaneous, the neck is not stretched, there is usually no blood and it can be done one handed, useful if holding a gun in the other.

You usually get the "bite pressure" about right on your third bird and then its plain sailing for the rest of your shooting career.

lol i bet u did get sum abuse its disgusting but very funny wood love to see u bite a pigeon on head lol

OK the trouble with necking the bird is if you then use it in the pattern it just don't look right at all i was shown this method years ago by Archie Coats and John Bailey i had the pleasure of meeting them both and being able to shoot with them individulay so here goes if your right handed hold the pigeon in the left hand by the Brest with your right thumb place it across its back between the wings in the center and press down you will here a click and feel the spine give way once this is done death is instant and no sad heads or pulled necks to ruin your pattern simples

apparently you push where the feathers change texture

If you are right handed, hold the bird in your left hand, then with your right hand span your thumb and middle finger across the birds back just behind and slightly beneath the base of its wings, squeeze hard just for a few seconds - job done - no stress no mess :good:

You can apply this method to any bird species, big hands required for geese :good: