Dispatching a Pigeon

Stuart049

Hey guys

as i explained in my last topic about roost shooting, i'm still a beginner at shooting so iv lots to learn.

i went roost shooting again yesterday and shot 3 which i'm pretty chuffed about to be honest, iv only been a few times a no one else shot that many :good:

but one of them wasn't killed in the shot, i struggled a bit to wring its neck as iv never done it before and not completely sure of the best way how... i got there eventually but i want to know the best way to do it quickly as i obviously caused the bird a bit of pain in my slow failed attempts at doing it...

So yea i'm looking for the best way to wring a birds neck... i'm not talking about wacking it on a tree because i don't entirely agree with that, or using bird dispatch gadgets because i don't really want to buy one and carry it around everywhere, and if i forget it i'm screwed. i would much rather learn a quick way of doing it myself (i know these dispatching gadget things are probably much more simple but id rather learn this way).

So any tips of tricks, certain techniques would be very helpfull helpful

Thanks

Stuart

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks, iv no idea what a priest is and if i google it i just get holy men :) so someones gonna have to explain haha

im ready to try anything i just wanna know how to do it best as id rather get it done as quick as possible rather than yanking the birds head about for 10 mins whilst its in pain...

dont do it too hard as there heads do come off :good::)

ye i yanked the birds head off when i first started and blood spraved all over the barel of my gun and i couldn't get it off when it dried i learn't the hard way, dont pull too hard.

they can flap about abit when you snap the neck..i find a priest quiker and i think it's fool proof i've seen people spinning pigeons around like a helicopter and it doesn't look good.. :good:

I personally hold the birds feet or even the base of the wings in my left hand, take its head in your right hand (i am right handed) tilt the head backwards and pull downwards at the same time, you will feel the birds neck dislocated and break and job done. it is fast and as humane as any other method but try it on already dead birds first before you put it into practice in order to be as fair to the quarry as possible.

yea but iv also seen people give the pigeon a quick twist of the neck and its over in a second.... i know this takes more skill than bashing it over the head but its quicker and id like to learn to do it properly.... i found it very difficult to beak to the neck i twisted it and bent it but it was very difficult to break... so there must be a certain trick to it? if a gamekeeper can do it that easily then surely anyone else can with abit of practice...

I hold the pigeon by the head with my index and middle fingers and my thumb on the top of the head. Then I tilt the head back slightly and twist the head clockwise and anticlockwise in a quick motion. This seems to work well. You need to be carefull not to pull the bird away from you otherwise you'll end up with the head in your fingers and blood all over the place.

OK the trouble with necking the bird is if you then use it in the pattern it just don't look right at all i was shown this method years ago by Archie Coats and John Bailey i had the pleasure of meeting them both and being able to shoot with them individulay so here goes if your right handed hold the pigeon in the left hand by the Brest with your right thumb place it across its back between the wings in the center and press down you will here a click and feel the spine give way once this is done death is instant and no sad heads or pulled necks to ruin your pattern simples

You can also hold the pigeon and put your fingers and thumb either side of the breast under its wings at what would effectively be its armpits and squeeze. This stops the pigeon expanding its chest and so it can't breath. You can feel the muscles fight against you and the heart bump, but it will quietly expire in maybe 10 secs or so. Just keep holding it for a few seconds more to be sure. No tools required :good:

Apparently a favourite of taxidermists because it doesn't harm the carcass

OK the trouble with necking the bird is if you then use it in the pattern it just don't look right at all i was shown this method years ago by Archie Coats and John Bailey i had the pleasure of meeting them both and being able to shoot with them individulay so here goes if your right handed hold the pigeon in the left hand by the Brest with your right thumb place it across its back between the wings in the center and press down you will here a click and feel the spine give way once this is done death is instant and no sad heads or pulled necks to ruin your pattern simples

This sounds the ticket - will try this technique next time I'm out shooting pigeons. Normally I just wring necks.

Wouldn't mind seeing a video of that before trying it myself. How hard do you need to press? Is it a sudden movement with the thumb, or just push until you hear the click?