Dispatching a Pigeon

Stuart049

Wouldn't mind seeing a video of that before trying it myself. How hard do you need to press? Is it a sudden movement with the thumb, or just push until you hear the click?

it is just constant pressure press till you feel the click and try on a couple of dead one first you will get the feel of it it is easy and as i said no sad heads in the pattern

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

There is another humane way to dispatch a wounded pigeon that i was taught many moons ago when i was a kid. lean over to pick the pigeon up as you do so Take the wounded pigeon by the head, and keeping the head still swing the body in a full circle. this instantly breaks the neck leaving the head attatched. this is ten times quicker than picking the bird up then manourvering it into the right position then breaking its neck or hitting it with a priest. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I nearly always squeeze under the wings with thumb and forefinger, unless there is a suitilble stick too hand, ive read about the breaking the spine technique in a book by John Batley, maybe will have to give that a try next time out. My mate just bites the top of their head, what is wrong with some people!! Kills them instantly though :lol:

I usualy whack it on something, or a fence post...why dont you agree with that, still trauma getitng hit with a preist :lol:

Or I wring its neck, but as you will quickly learn a pigeons head is not attached securely to its body :lol: ..ive had it fall off sometimes, ther eis no relaly technigue other than to tilt the birds head up and pull away from the body at the same time, like you would a rabbit :lol:

Steve

Hey guys

as i explained in my last topic about roost shooting, i'm still a beginner at shooting so iv lots to learn.

i went roost shooting again yesterday and shot 3 which i'm pretty chuffed about to be honest, iv only been a few times a no one else shot that many :lol:

but one of them wasn't killed in the shot, i struggled a bit to wring its neck as iv never done it before and not completely sure of the best way how... i got there eventually but i want to know the best way to do it quickly as i obviously caused the bird a bit of pain in my slow failed attempts at doing it...

So yea i'm looking for the best way to wring a birds neck... i'm not talking about wacking it on a tree because i don't entirely agree with that, or using bird dispatch gadgets because i don't really want to buy one and carry it around everywhere, and if i forget it i'm screwed. i would much rather learn a quick way of doing it myself (i know these dispatching gadget things are probably much more simple but id rather learn this way).

So any tips of tricks, certain techniques would be very helpfull helpful

Thanks

Stuart

wot a do is use my finger and thumb on its throat and gentley press and in a few secs it will be dead but u can always twist its neck fast kills it stone dead dont need to take its head off people passing by might think its cruel for pulling its head off first bird a shot and went and pulled its head off and bloody went all over me face and clothes so its the finger and thumb job for me mate happy shooting wot gun do u use

There is another humane way to dispatch a wounded pigeon that i was taught many moons ago when i was a kid. lean over to pick the pigeon up as you do so Take the wounded pigeon by the head, and keeping the head still swing the body in a full circle. this instantly breaks the neck leaving the head attatched. this is ten times quicker than picking the bird up then manourvering it into the right position then breaking its neck or hitting it with a priest. :lol:

More often that not this will end up with the head coming off and blood pouring everywhere :lol:

You can also hold the pigeon and put your fingers and thumb either side of the breast under its wings at what would effectively be its armpits and squeeze. This stops the pigeon expanding its chest and so it can't breath. You can feel the muscles fight against you and the heart bump, but it will quietly expire in maybe 10 secs or so. Just keep holding it for a few seconds more to be sure. No tools required :lol:

Apparently a favourite of taxidermists because it doesn't harm the carcass

10 seconds?

How the hell is squeezing a wild animal to death for 10 seconds humane?:lol:?:lol:?:lol:?:lol:???

FM

i still cant bring my self to braking there necks so have been using a big heavy stick. well the ond a picked up yesterday turned out to be dead and broke just before it was going to hit the bird. My mate cresed up laughing shouting from the hide " you've gotta do it now" so i did.

When i got home i went straight to my tackel box and got my old priest out and stuck it straight in my shooting bag.

My mate wont laugh again

Quick tip for novice stick/priest users: the intuitive way is to pick the bird up and hold it with your hand all the way round the body and its wings folded inside your hand, as if you were holding a live bird which is about to fly away. I've lost count of the number of times I've whacked my flippin' thumb with my beating stick when I held the bird this way! It's MUCH better to unfold the wings behind the bird's back and grasp them as a handle, then whack.

if your going to use them for decoying after then whacking them or stretching their neck ruins there appearance ( as if being shot hasnt ).

nice little tip and very fast to do is to bite the top of the pigeons head firmly but not too hard. top of its skull. instant kill and keeps all the feathers in place for perfect decoys.

if your going to use them for decoying after then whacking them or stretching their neck ruins there appearance ( as if being shot hasnt ).

nice little tip and very fast to do is to bite the top of the pigeons head firmly but not too hard. top of its skull. instant kill and keeps all the feathers in place for perfect decoys.

:rolleyes::sly::lol:

used to hold them legs in left hand head down, then head in right hand beak pointing up then slowly pull right hand down till neck breaks . now i just hold body in right hand hold beak in left and bite through neck bone just behind head very quick this way. no good if your squeemish. you can tell if its an older bird as you get a nice CRUNCH!