Raining during shooting

jim38curl

Hi all, got a stupid question for you but thought would ask anyway. Do pigeons come out in the rain or do the find the nearest tree and sit it out. I shoot most saturdays and it always seems to either rain or threaten rain. Shoots a good 40 minute drive so don't like to drive there if there is a chance of it.

Cheers,

Jim.

I have always (seriously) believed that pigeons don't like getting their feet muddy, because it makes flying difficult.

This seems to be true, because I have never had any luck shooting in heavy rain.

If you can find a sheltered spot in the lea of some woodland, or wait for the breaks in the rain, sport can be brisk, but brief.

However, I think they usually go off and find some berries, or just sit in the trees looking miserable. :thumbs:

Had noticed that actually. Last saturday it rained on and off quite heavily. In between the rain there was loads of activity ( not close to us as asual ) and then 5 mins later there would be nothing, didn't know if his was the norm or not. As for muddy feet..... perhaps i could incorporate some kind of doormat into the decoys for them to land on..( joke )

Cheers,

Jim.

Had noticed that actually. Last saturday it rained on and off quite heavily. In between the rain there was loads of activity ( not close to us as asual ) and then 5 mins later there would be nothing, didn't know if his was the norm or not. As for muddy feet..... perhaps i could incorporate some kind of doormat into the decoys for them to land on..( joke )

Cheers,

Jim.

Trouble is, you need to be where they shelter out to enjoy the action, not alllways possible :thumbs: :sly:

LB

I agree with Highlander. Lifes too short to be running around with your underwear soggen. Instead go to your local dealer and spend lot of money you can't afford :sly::lol:

You wouldn't think I have spent over 20 yrs work and coaching outdoor pursuits, canoeing being my main thing :*)

I self confess to becoming a weenie in my old age, my bladder like heat :thumbs:

Over the years I've seen them decoying well through rain, but when I was home in August and shot a +200 bag, things were really hot and then the weather set in for about a 20 minute heavy shower, the pigeons stopped immedietly, within minutes of the rain going off the pigeons started decoying just as quickly as they stopped. You never can tell!

Hammy

My "best" experience of wet weather shooting was about 4 years ago when my mate and myself set up on a rape field that was being hammered.

After about 10 minutes and a few shots, the heavens opened up and it poured for the best part of an hour with no sign of a pigeon. For all our expensive gear, we both got soaked to the skin and decided to give it up as a bad job.

While trying our best to dry off under the shelter of a barn, the rain stopped as suddenly as it had started but we were that miserable and wet that we started loading the gear into the car to head for a hot shower at home anyway.

What happened next we both still talk about now, because as we loaded the car we looked up to see the air filled with pigeons coming into the field from all directions.

They just poured in and all we could do was just stare at them and wondered who were the idiots, the pigeons for staying in the dry until it stopped raining or us two for sitting it out and getting drenched and heading back home miserable and wet. :<

as i tend not to decoy as much as shoot flight lines or just get them whilst on the move, wet days i have found are better, becuase they dont like sitting down on the ground they are either flying or sitting up in the tree's either way, when woundering around this is a great advantage.

my best bag (not alot over 10) was a howling day where me and my dad got caught in a light shower with a strong wind, it was over rape, but i dont think the birds could care less what they were flying over, they were loving it, very quick birds, one of my best shooting experiances ever, despite getting the gun soaked, which is about as much fun as pulling teeth to me :thumbs:

i am determined to get some decoying in this winter, its the one aspect of the sport i have little experiance in but would like very much to experiance it.