The most dangerous gun I ever shot with .

Harnser

my first 12g was an ancient catalogue gun pre war had a headache you wouldn,t believe,the barrels were badly pitted.the forend was held on with tape but i,ve never shot as well as i did with that old banger.when i left school and got a job and started earning i gave her to the police to get rid of when i bought my first new gun.should have kept it.

• 4 weeks later...
I first shot a shot gun when I was about 12 years old . The first gun I ever shot was a westly richards hammer gun . This gun belonged to my mates grandfather and was kept in the shed on his allotment . The said gun can only be described as an old nail as it had a 4 inch split along the right barrel and the hammer had been removed to prevent that barrel being fired . The left barrel was badly pitted throught out the whole lenth of the tube and dibnt have a firing pin . We used to carry a nail in a match box for a firing pin and poke it into the firing pin hole prior to shooting ,cock the hammer and hope the nail didnt fall out . My mates grandfather had a smiths crisp tin full ofpaper cartridges that said home guard stamped on the head but unfortunately all the print had come off the tubes and we never knew what cartridge we were loading into the gun .

There were slugs ,game cartridges , tracers ,ssg .Lg and some that had the shot inside a tube made from wire what the hell they were for i dont know . We used to go down to the ozzy -carr and shoot ducks and rabbits . We never knew what type of cartridge we had loaded in the gun ,what the hell it was fun and we are both very lucky not to have this gun let go on us . I shudder when I think back to shooting this old nail .

Harnser .

Fun times! The wire cartridge may have been pre-war (WWI not WWII). They were used in cylinder bored guns usually. The idea was that when fired the wire and packing material (bone powder), would hold the shot together longer. Colonel Hawker mentions using an early version 9before cartridges), in his muzzle loader circa 1857, I think. Shot a group of birds in a field at 90 yards with it.

The most danger gun I fired in my youth, was an imported Indian muzzle loader that was still loaded with flint. Lead being too difficult to get hold of in most areas. There was no way to pull the shot and the only way to empty it, was to place the barrel in a vice pointed into the ground, apply a fuse and run like hell!

Did the job and entertained the neighbours too. :blink:

Fun times! The wire cartridge may have been pre-war (WWI not WWII). They were used in cylinder bored guns usually. The idea was that when fired the wire and packing material (bone powder), would hold the shot together longer. Colonel Hawker mentions using an early version (before cartridges), in his muzzle loader circa 1857, I think. Shot a group of birds in a field at 90 yards with it.

The most dangerous gun I fired in my youth, was an imported Indian muzzle loader that was still loaded with flint- lead being too difficult to get hold of in most areas. There was no way to pull the shot and the only way to empty it, was to place the barrel in a vice pointed into the ground, apply a fuse and run like hell!

Did the job and entertained the neighbours too. :blink:

Edited by MartB

• 3 weeks later...
A mate of mine had a Single Cooey 12g that used to fall into three bits when fired, :good:

you were left holding the under carriage & stock,

the barrel fell on the ground,

I kid you not, he ended up with a jubilee clip on at the finish.

BJ.

sounds like my mates cooey.its held together with gaffer tape and a jubilee clip,blueing replaced with rust,the wood looks like sun bleeched driftwood.he uses it as a beating stick[unloaded]when beating,then shoots like a dead eye **** with it.i think he paid a fiver for it :good: :good: :good:

Never had anything more than airguns when i was a lad in late 70s,used to shoot some daft things till the local plod visited :good: ,we also used to make throwing arrows and have wars with these.Never had any dangerous guns till i got my scg and bought my uncles guns (my first purchase),feo said if i had loaded the bolt action 12g it would have gone off in my face :good: ,trigger cracked and fell off the 410,sxs hammer wouldnt stay closed,poachers 410 would have shot round corners,and the other sxs hammer had so much pitting in both barrells i am surprised they werent joined,just glad i took em to local rfd he probaly saved my life as i would have had a go :good: