102 members have voted

1. 1. Would you...

• Wait for clean head shot?
    • Go for body shot?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11?-no wonder if you sit there on your hands all day waiting for percy the pigeon to pose for a shot.Ive killed more pigeons with my car-and no-i,m not sure that the tyre hit them in the head.

Makes me curious you ever did roost shooting on woody's :yes:

11 woody's is a good amount in one session with an airgun.

Terrier:Never even tried for big bags with a puffgun-when pigeon numbers are high enough to drag me away from work then they need a tool thats up to the job i.e. a shotgun or in one remote wood on MOD land i use a rimfire.November 08 was the last time i was caught out with my airgun by a big flock one morning when i was looking for squirrels that were destroying nest boxes-about 500 decided they liked the wood to sit in (early morning)-by the time they had realised their mistake (about 2 hours later) i had14 down and a squirrel to boot-fog helped but so did the fact that the wood only had one decent tree to land in .Shotgun wise my biggest bag roost shooting was a modest 93 which could have been higher but gamebirds used the wood in question and we were asked to leave before 9:00 to allow the birds up to roost.Lets hope that satisfies your curiosity. :yes:

i've only been shooting with a PCP since august and i dont get the chance to go out much. maybe once or twice a month. i've only got a couple of permissions and neither have crop on them like rapeseed or pea. the only birds which im shooting there will be roosting ones. we dont get huge flocks of birds on my permission because we have no surroundinf crops.

"Could'nt even begin to count the number of pigeons i've killed with a body shot using a .177 at up to about 30 yards.If roost shooting you could wait for an eternity to get a head shot so most are dropped cleanly with a body shot-same on the ground-so long as the range allows then i will go for the body if the head is moving constantly or not visible. "

Bruno: its clear enough you are a good shot with the shotty, but I think you forgot the time you where young and had nothing else but a "puffgun" :rolleyes:

"

If you are a sporting shooter who simply shoots for pleasure then carry on in the quest for a string of endless perfect shots-but if you are out there to kill pigeons then you have no choice but to take any shot that has a good chance of killing the bird. "

Some people can't live or afford to miss a clean and deadly shot mate, its all our duty to try to make the very best of it. With a puffgun, at 30 yards, feeding on ground.

There you go again,Terrior, presuming i'm a good shot-somedays i could'nt hit a cows rrrrrs with a banjo-besides you should see the amount of empties i have to pick up sometimes!! :rolleyes: Your points are taken and respected-not sure however that you are allowed to shoot pigeons for "sport" anymore.I recall the days when i "only" had a puffgun with fond memories-I used to instruct kids for nearly 2 years and enjoyed all forms of airgun shooting.I still love using air rifles and choose them over my rimfire if the situation allows. :lol: By the way-i'm younger than you :good::P:good:

• 2 weeks later...
everything i have ever shot at in my entire life has dropped stone dead without a flutter

Ohhhhhhh.......... to be THAT good. Modesty becomes you so. I rate myself as an above average shot having become a sniper, and not even I can make that claim. You are my new god and I am humbled..............