1. 1. Would you...

• Wait for clean head shot?
    • Go for body shot?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A close range shot directly to the chest with .22 wouldn't be ideal

Dude I'd check my gun if I were you. Close range directly to the chest with a .22 is waaaaay more than enough! I've heard of pellets or shot being deflected by feathers if they hit very obliquely, but not straight-on. I reckon a well placed .177 body-shot is just as effective as the same shot with .22, and just as lethal as a head shot.

Body shot with .177? Are you joking? A close range shot directly to the chest with .22 wouldn't be ideal, let alone with a .177! Go for the head or neck only using .177. It lacks the energy transfer of a .22 so you have to be more precise in your aim.

I've dropped hundreds of pigeon/doves with body shots with a .177.

I've dropped hundreds of pigeon/doves with body shots with a .177.

Me too :good:

The head is just about the size of a good shooter's five shot pattern at thirty yds, and that is before you consider wind and head movement. I'll take chest shots as long as it's not dead centre where the sternum is located, or back shots, or shoulder shots. The latter is very effective.

I kill outright more pigeons per shot with my .177 air rifle than with a shotgun over deeks.

Could'nt even begin to count the number of pigeons i've killed with a body shot using a .177 at up to about 30 yards.If roost shooting you could wait for an eternity to get a head shot so most are dropped cleanly with a body shot-same on the ground-so long as the range allows then i will go for the body if the head is moving constantly or not visible.

Anyone who thinks they can consistently shoot a bobbing pigeon in its pea sized brain at 30yds is kidding themselves :yes:

Or maybe they just want to shoot its beak off and let it starve to death :good:

i can, it just takes careful planning and putting your crosshairs where the pigeons head is going to be. i've taken many pigeons feeding on ivy berries lik this.

They can't and don't fly off when hit in the shoulder. You must have missed.

That is true it breaks there wing! not that i'm condoning sloppy shooting tho!. I have a 12lbft 22. and i only shoot for pigeons heads if i have to normally. I either shoot them in the neck or chest.As long as there crops not full it kills them EVERY time. Obviously if you shoot lower chest they will fly off or if your stupid enough to try and shoot them in a full crop of acorns! thats the time you take a headshot. It is true tho pigeons rarely keep there head still. Has the people saying that you should do headshots all the way actualy shot a pigeons on the floor 30 yards away? because i dont think ive ever had one fly away from off the floor! like i said i do have a 22 tho.

Tom

I once shot shot one straight through the head, checked to see that it was a good hit which it was - in one side and out the other. I left it and went to peep round the corner, where I spent a short time stalking other feeding pigeons. Came back to the one I'd shot and it's chest was still moving as it was breathing. I think it was totally brain dead but I didn't like it.

Had a simialr thing with the shot gun, where a pellet had passed through the head, went to pick it up and it flew away! Went round in a small circle and flew straight at my head, had to duck and it went over my head and flew into (as in crashed into) a bush, laying there with it's wings open hanging in the bush, which was all very odd. Gave it another blast which sorted it out. Again must have been brain dead.

Generally successful with head shots but will start doing more body shots, which I normally avoid as you shoot through the meat and there is a chance of grazing the breast.

Back shots sound like a good idea as there is less to shoot through - can't say I'd thought of this before! Will try it next :good:

Body shot with .177? Are you joking? A close range shot directly to the chest with .22 wouldn't be ideal,

a .177 is far more likley to penetrate dense feather than a .22!!! Look for penetration test, at 30 yards a .177 or a .22 online, .177 has better penetration, and both should effectivley kill a pigeon as long as you miss the wings!!! I use an fac theoben for pigeon and it zip straight through where-ever you shoot hem and its only on 20ft/lbs!! :rolleyes:

They can't and don't fly off when hit in the shoulder. You must have missed.

nope. big puff of feathers came from the shoulder. although the day after that i did find a pigeon carcass about 20 yards away from where i shot so i think it must have flown and then went down and some time in the night charlie got a nice surprise.

a .177 is far more likley to penetrate dense feather than a .22!!! Look for penetration test, at 30 yards a .177 or a .22 online, .177 has better penetration, and both should effectivley kill a pigeon as long as you miss the wings!!! I use an fac theoben for pigeon and it zip straight through where-ever you shoot hem and its only on 20ft/lbs!! :rolleyes:

It's not penetration that kills humanely! It's the transfer of the shocking energy.

With sub-12ft I'd got head and neck shots only. Chest shots at close range, but If I was shooting at close range the head/neck would be an easier target.