Unlucky Stoat

verminator69

Thought this morning i would get up early :P and go and start stripping old rusty wire of one of the pheasant pens. :P I was just approaching the estate when i had to pull over and let the posty out,I think he was going to a fire, :lol: Anyway he was past and i looked up the road and a stoat, well up the road ran across the road. :good: So i just backed into the gate got the rifle of the back seat and down with the window,looking through the scope i could see the stoat was running up the back of the hedge. :hmm: I grabed the wham of the dash and started to squeek it stoped but wouldnt come, so started on the palm of my hand,it started to come back in a hurry :yes: It must have come a good 60-70yds and it stoped on a mound got up on to its back legs as they do. :P WHACK down it went got the range finder out of the glove box 110yds peachy. :yes: I have not had the hmr that long,first week of january,but every time i use it impresses the **** out of me. :o

post-20999-1266330012.jpgpost-20999-1266329951.jpg

:hmm: Whilst that was a great shot, i dont think I could shoot an animal that looks so much like my ferrets, and im not knocking you , just dont think I could.....stunning little beast :hmm:

I must be going soft in my old age, that picture really saddenned me........... :hmm:

Edited by Evil Elvis

i agree with elvis. lol and they control the rabbits its also fnny watching them and the rabbits flying everywhere lol.

They are a lovely animal but I would shoot one given the chance. Especially when pheasants are concerned as they would soon kill a pheasant given a chance. Good shot mate :rolleyes:

That's a hell of a good shot there. I also shoot them. Yes they help reduce the Rabbits but they will also quite happily decimate a Partridge, Pheasant or Duck nest and I like to control the Rabbits on my patch.

I have to agree with this statement! If I were to see a stoat on any of my shoots I would shoot it without giving it a second thought. While they do help to control the rabit population (Which I prefer to do myself) they will, given the chance decimate other game and ground nesting birds and as such must fall in to the catagory of "vermin". However, having said that I also have to admit that they are often so comical to watch!

Thanks for the comments guys, :good: I do rear pheasants and partridges, I've seen first hand what a stoat can do in side a partridge pen not pleasant. :lol: Shoot or not to shoot that's like saying dont kill any foxes they control rabbits,each to there own me thinks.

Oh and its in freezer, i will get it stuffed later on. :yes:

I was a bit sad when I read it too. I really like Stoats.

Having said that there aren't many around here. I'm happy to share the odd bunny or Pheasant with them. If there were loads in the area and they were causing trouble then I'm pretty sure I would shoot some.

Cracking shot. :good: