permission to shoot

wogger wabit

they had meetings in tadcaster and dracs village halls but this was not mentioned at the time they wanted farmers and shooters to go but dident no till after the fact and i belive it was mostly locals (towny) a few farmers and a couple of plod

I knew about the meetings as all the local farmers were there, I had a prior arrangement so didnt go.

what I was saying was I shoot all over the selby area and have never seen this form.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew about the meetings as all the local farmers were there, I had a prior arrangement so didnt go.

what I was saying was I shoot all over the selby area and have never seen this form.

hi bobt from what ive been told it stemed from a meeting in york a pcso and this guy in the village came up with this and had just started to put it out and apparently i was one of the first that got one and several copys for my other permissions to fill in i met this bloke yesterday (bit of a *******) trying to tell me this that other when i told him it had been passed on to basc he started to panic a bit so at the mo i have most of the copys my farmer has some which they wont give to any one but this pcso from eggborough is on holiday and he says dont no how many she has given out there is four police names on the form which itook off to put on here which i have sent intact to basc yesterday thanks

Can't see the problem with this at all, I'd just fill it in and keep it with me, if anyone challenged me I'd take great delight in thrusting an official 'police permission ducument' under their noses!!

BB. :good:

hi bothbarrels the point with this form was when filled in and laminated by police you had to display in your car great idea for giviig all your details to every one should just give us all a sign KICK ME thanks

hi bothbarrels the point with this form was when filled in and laminated by police you had to display in your car great idea for giviig all your details to every one should just give us all a sign KICK ME thanks

Now that is scary... Fair enough to keep paperwork in your pocket and to be asked for it by someone with good reason, but to have to leave it on display with those details is utter madness!

I hope the PCSO's in volved get some proper retraining from both the CC and BASC on what is and isnt acceptable. While i whole heartidly agree with the efforts to stop poachers and illegal activities I really don't agree with anyone in this supposedly free country having to carry paperwork to:

A: drive on public roads!

B: Be on private land they have permission to be on

C: take part in legal activities on private land with all relevant permission!

Hope this gets sorted ASAP. VEry interested to hear what the BASC find out.

Can't see the problem with this at all, I'd just fill it in and keep it with me, if anyone challenged me I'd take great delight in thrusting an official 'police permission ducument' under their noses!!

You give in to the security state if you want to... Me, I'm fighting for freedom.

Ooooooooooh now that's a different kettle of fish! in your pocket is one thing but no it's not a good idea then is it! sorry for missing the point mate.

I am firmly of the view that if you have the written agreement from the owner/tenant of the land you are shooting on, then it is nobodies business other than said owner/tenant and the shooter.

The brave lads in blue, especially the armed response teams, seem to want an excuse to parade their machismo replete with body armour and weapons, launch the helicopter and robocop all who get in their way.

It is the public that need educating, not plod, because plod are a law unto themslves anyway.

Any voluntary pre-notification or pre-permit system will very rapidly become compulsory, need renewing, will be fee based, following an interview etc. Sounds like a shotgun licensing system to me and we already have that and it works.

Private land is just that, private. So plod should just butt out.

They are soon going to be patrolling the skies above you with remote controlled drones. How soon before they are used to interfere with your shooting by scaring off the birds, hovering over your shoulder, loudhailing you to stop what you are doing, move out into the open, remove head and face wear and smile for the camera.

We have spoken with the head of firearms licensing on this, he is looking into it! Not at all impressed with this I can tell you, he is finding out who is responsible!

No problem at all with the concept of having written permission, I am sure none of us have. But this 'official' condition on our shooting activity?

NO THANKS!

David

We're on this like a ferret on a rabbit.

It has no legal force, has been done without consultation and imposes ridiculous restrictions.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Cheers...and I'm paying you too!

But I think you're a very nice man, so ...Can I have 2 tickets for the CLA this year please!!! :yes::yes:

...and I have still not found out who has the key for the drinks cabinet on your very impressive stand either!!! :hmm::hmm:

:good::good::devil:

cant see a problem with you being a cabbage :good: wake up you half witt and get real

I have spoken to a senior inspector at North Yorks this morning - who is a gundog handler and beats on a local shoot. The document is being thoroughly reviewed, in consultation with BASC. Any examples of "over exuberance" will be taken out.

The suggestion for such a permission slip apparently came from a public forum involving landowners in the area, troubled by specific problems with poaching and coursing gangs. Its current version goes too far. Carrying your SC/FAC is good practice if you're out - and a copy of your written permission is also handy, particularly in areas where there have been problems with crime. There is no legal force behind the current document.

We have a good relationship with North Yorks police, who are one of the better forces as far as shooting and licensing goes. They are as keen as we all are to get the balance right.

Edited by Simon Clarke

Its barmy any idea of putting it in your car window, simply any anti knows who you are what you're up to and that your car makes a nice target. Ok it also lets the police know who you are but they do have rather a large expensive computer system we paid for that will also tell them you're a certificate holder and where you live etc :good:

Its barmy any idea of putting it in your car window, simply any anti knows who you are what you're up to and that your car makes a nice target. Ok it also lets the police know who you are but they do have rather a large expensive computer system we paid for that will also tell them you're a certificate holder and where you live etc :good:

I also wouldn't like to think I had to place one of these forms in my car for all and sundry to see and read. Why should I? If my car is taxed, tested and insured and I have permission from a landowner to be there, have my relevant SGC/FAC paperwork with me then that should be more than enough.

Going down the road of having more paperwork from the place could be a very slippery slope indeed. Where will it end? The police telling us what hours, how many rounds etc we can use? You never know! I seriously don't like the idea of extra paperwork governing my shooting.

I have spoken to a senior inspector at North Yorks this morning - who is a gundog handler and beats on a local shoot. The document is being thoroughly reviewed, in consultation with BASC. Any examples of "over exuberance" will be taken out.

The suggestion for such a permission slip apparently came from a public forum involving landowners in the area, troubled by specific problems with poaching and coursing gangs. Its current version goes too far. Carrying your SC/FAC is good practice if you're out - and a copy of your written permission is also handy, particularly in areas where there have been problems with crime. There is no legal force behind the current document.

We have a good relationship with North Yorks police, who are one of the better forces as far as shooting and licensing goes. They are as keen as we all are to get the balance right.

Simon, I don't think a review of the document is going far enough. I think it needs to be binned entirely. BASC's current permission form is great - make them use that.

I recognise that basc is about working with police and other parties And being sensible, but in this instance the whole concept is wrong so should be binned. The form will still have the police stamp on it, will still look official, and is likely to get officers giving people strife who simply have a letter of permission.

The overriding principle here is that it is not the Police's job to get involved with permission on private land. If a farmer has a poaching problem, he can give the police a list of authorised shooters which can be circulated. There is no need for an official looking form which will always appear to give the police more power than they truly have.

And bothbarrels - it's got nothing to do with displaying the form and everything to do with the existence of the form!

Indicate the car - parked near a gate belongs to a shooter? That's probably against the terms of a FAC. I don't think my FEO would be very happy about that bunny huggers idea.

I don't live or shoot on that patch - but I'd put jackchit in my window to state to all and sundry what I might be doing in the vicinity.

Edited by Dave-G