A question of Port !

henry d

Notes - Dow’s finest vineyard, acquired and planted by the firm in 1980, is situated in perhaps the most favourable location in the Upper Douro.This quinta, classified ‘A’ grade, forms the core of Dow’s famed Vintage Ports. In ‘non-declared’ years, the quinta produces wines of consistently high quality, which are selected and bottled as Dow’s Quinta do Bomfim. These wines are treated in all respects as Vintage Port and therefore should be stored lying down and decanted before serving. Quinta do Bomfim wines are normally ready to drink from about its tenth year but will also benefit by keeping for many more years. 1998 was the smallest vintage for decades, with some good and powerful Quinta Vintage Ports made. Deep dark ruby in colour. The Bomfim 1998 shows excellent aromas of black berry fruits, combined with a hint of violet character. On the palate it is packed with juicy fruit flavours, peppery tannins, and a long slightly dry finish. Dow’s 1998 Quinta do Bomfim Vintage Port is a fabulous way to end a lunch or dinner. It pairs wonderfully with chocolate desserts, such as chocolate mousse, but it can also be enjoyed on its own, providing a memorable moment in the company of good friends. “Lovely vanilla scented oak, violets, mulberries and winter fruit cake spices. Luscious bouquet which has everything in it, all in perfect harmony. Classic style, mighty full body and flavours, fair balancing acidity fleshed out with wonderfully ripe fruit and sweet spice. Composed, impeccable, and though it already drinks well it should be allowed to age much longer.” Best in Class, Gold Medal, International Wine & Spirit Competition 2009.

Seems like it's ready to drink when you are.

Always got a bottle or bottles I should say of Dows in my home, first one when I come home from work, we love cheese evenings with friends round Im in my element, that when the port come into its own, prefer Dows to most others never tried the brandy thing though :good:

Alan

Depends on what you got - LBV Ruby. Tawny, White Port etc etc. As a general rule of thumb, as long as the seal's OK and you store it somewhere cool, dry and dark (plus horizontal), it will last forever.

If you want to see if it ages well, go ahead, but it's a long wait if you're thirsty.

My recommendation - Get LBV Ruby from the supermarket (and don't be a brand snob) and glug it. If it's a special occassion, go and buy a vintage bottle and enjoy it as a treat and not as the norm. Much nicer.

A very nice way to have it though is straight out of the barrel if you can find a hostelry which can serve it that way - For anyone working in London, Davey's are very good for Port from the wood.

This a fascinating topic.

What you have here are two super bottles of port but they are not from a declared vintage. Have a look at www.thevintageportsite.com for details of the declared vintage years. The latest vintages are 1997, 2000 & 2003.

When the harvest and wines are not good enough to declare as a vintage, the reputable port houses in reasonable years will still produce a vintage wine from one of their top estates [ known as quintas in Portugal ]. I worked for many years for another port house, Graham's and they produced these wines from the Quinta dos Malvedos and we have a number of bottles of this wine in our cellars.

Whilst these non-declared vintages do not last as long as the declared wines, the perceived wisdom is that they should be drunk at their best at around 15 to 20 years old, so you have a little wait in front of you.

It is important though to store them correctly and I don't know the extent of the Henry D cellars [although with your coat of arms they are probably both grand and extensive!] The bottles should be stored on their side to allow the wine to keep the corks moist and at a constant temperature - an attic is hopeless as they will cook in summer and freeze in winter. Consistency of temperature is more important than actual temperature but 10 - 12C is ideal. Avoid vibration - an understairs cupboard is not a good idea for that reason - and keep the bottles out of the light.

When the time comes to drink the port, it will need to be decanted [and will keep for some time in a good decanter with a well-fitting stopper]. There will be sediment at the bottom of the bottle so take care when decanting. If you don't have a port funnel, use a small plastic kitchen funnel with a small sieve or a piece of kitchen towel over the funnel when decanting. Traditionalists swear by a lady's stocking, so if that turns you on....

Finally, wines from single Quintas are not an investment and will not appreciate in value as do declared vintage ports. Nevertheless, it is a handsome and generous present to receive or to give...

Enjoy and I will now go back to my blackcurrant vodka recipe!

Woodcock11 is right, and I would add to drink then both ASAP unless you KNOW they have been stored properly and that furthermore you can do the same. More good wine is balloxed up due to people thinking that 'longer is better' and keeping it upright next to a radiator to keep it at 'room temperature.'

In terms of decanting, if you don't want to fanny about holding the bottle over a candle then simply use a tea-strainer!