Zero in

Big Dog

Got out today to try to see if it was the moderator cap being loose that was impacting my accuracy. I think it was. I have some targets below that show fairly OK groups of 5 shots. First 3 are 50yrs W/c subs of sandbags sitting on a bench on my trailer. I know its all a bit primative I know. :*)

It got better as I went on. I shot the first 3 targets at 50 yrds with Winchester subs. You will see on the 2nd target top right, 5 Eley subs at 50 yrds. Seem a bit lower.

1st target just getting a feel for things. It funny but I used to have to aim 1/2" high at 50yrds but today zero was at 50. Not sure if shooting of the bag did this instead of the bi-pod?:lol:?? :lol:

http://img349.imageshack.us/img349/3079/13...stersubs6eq.jpg

2nd target

http://img311.imageshack.us/img311/8320/cl...23edited3me.jpg

Close up of 2nd target with ruler on it to show group

3rd target

http://img321.imageshack.us/img321/76/3350...ithruler9ap.jpg

4th target - 35yrds WChester subs (note: 1st group was good and then I lost it as i went down the sheet. At first I was lost as to why. I now think it was because my eye was tired and I wasn't placing my head in the same place each time. Worked this out in the last couple of shots.

http://img315.imageshack.us/img315/9109/35yrdsducks1xk.jpg

Here is the old **** in action

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/3237/hdbench19oh.jpg

Only got shooting of a sandbag and not the bi-pod, car was up for MOT at 1430hrs. I hate it when that happens :lol::lol:

It funny but I used to have to aim 1/2" high at 50yrds but today zero was at 50. Not sure if shooting of the bag did this instead of the bi-pod?:lol:?? :lol:

happens ???:lol:

Remember what i said about the Harmonics of the barrel interacting with the stock ,Well whatever you place your stock on can have an input where harmonics are concerned and is probably the main reason why a Free floating barrel is considered to be more accurate...............But!!!!!!! this is only of real use to serious Target competition Shooters .Zero the gun to the Set up that you use the most.

Looking at your groups Big Dog they are plenty good enough for Pest Control. :lol: 1" groups at 50 yds is plenty good enough.

Have you tried Eley Std ammo? ???

Cheers Ive

Have you tried Eley Std ammo? :lol:

deadeye ive

Yes I did try 5 shot of the Eley subs. They went a bit lower than the W/chesters.

If you look at the 2nd picture, top right target that was the subs.

Big Dog

The ammo i'm on about is solid not HP ,has a slightly faster FPS although still sub-sonic and comes in a Brown Box for a similar price.I find these better for ranges up to 80 yds

Well worth a try especially if the head of the hollow point is getting slightly deformed :lol:

Although nothing wrong with your grouping at 50 YDS .

Cheers

Ive

The ammo i'm on about is solid not HP ,has a slightly faster FPS although still sub-sonic and comes in a Brown Box

No I haven't tries the solid points!!!

Will give it a try too.

I assume it would be bad for hunting?? Go straight through???

cheers

My hunting experience with rimfire's isn't much, but I have heard people who I would trust say that they use solids for hunting. Reason being that a .22 hollowpoint doesn't expand much in the body of a rabbit and most of the time they go for headshots anyway so it doesn't make a difference. if you find a reliable, accurate solid-nose round then I'd be tempted to use it.

My hunting experience with rimfire's isn't much, but I have heard people who I would trust say that they use solids for hunting. Reason being that a .22 hollowpoint doesn't expand much in the body of a rabbit and most of the time they go for headshots anyway so it doesn't make a difference. if you find a reliable, accurate solid-nose round then I'd be tempted to use it.

I could'nt have put it better myself :rolleyes:

Ive

Whippet,

Don't know who told you that, but they couldn't be farther from the truth. As for solids in hunting, if you want the quarry to suffer, then use them.

All I can say, is whoever suggested solids, don't know much, exspecially the ballistic side.

Bazooka Joe :D

Edited by Bazooka Joe

Whippet,

Thanks for the quick reply. RFD's on AGBBS :lol:

Experienced Keepers :lol:

"Headshot is headshot, no matter whether it's hollow or solid point ammo."

Beg to differ Whippet. Chalk & Cheese between solids & hollow points.

Terminal ballistics are completely different, one's designed to put holes in

paper, & thats all they are good for. The other is designed to inflict massive

tissue damage, which it is good for.

"If it's a body hit then you either hit vitals or you don't"

What kind of attitude is that Whippet?

"And if you don't", have some respect for your quarry Whippet, & give it the

justice that it deserves. IE; A Hollowpoint.

Bazooka Joe.

:D

Whippet,

Thanks for the quick reply. RFD's on AGBBS :lol:

Experienced Keepers :lol:

"Headshot is headshot, no matter whether it's hollow or solid point ammo."

Beg to differ Whippet. Chalk & Cheese between solids & hollow points.

Terminal ballistics are completely different, one's designed to put holes in

paper, & thats all they are good for. The other is designed to inflict massive

tissue damage, which it is good for.

"If it's a body hit then you either hit vitals or you don't"

Bazooka Joe.

:D

Bazooka Joe.

here here fully agree BJ

Not to cause a heated debate here but i actually think that a well placed accurate head shot is what your Quarry(Rabbit) deserve and whether it is achieved by hollow point or solid the end result should ALWAYS be Humane and Quick.

Now i operate with two mags with Eley HP for up to 60 yds and Eley solid for longer range and i ALWAYS shoot Headshots so accurate shot placement is important for me .

I have known in my early days for this hollow point to cut through the quarry as opposed to expanding and flattening . :lol:

Ive

PS I find the CCI Minimags to noisey :D

Edited by deadeye ive

Not to cause a heated debate here but i actually think that a well placed accurate head shot is what your Quarry(Rabbit) deserve and whether it is achieved by hollow point or solid the end result should ALWAYS be  Humane and Quick.

Now i operate with two mags with Eley HP  for up to 60 yds and Eley solid for longer range and i ALWAYS shoot Headshots so accurate shot placement is important for me .

I have known in my early days for  this hollow point to cut through the quarry as opposed to expanding and flattening  . :lol:

Ive

PS I find the CCI Minimags to noisey :D

deadeye ive,

Thanks for the post. Just one question? what advantage has a solid over a hollowpoint over 60yds. I, myself think that eley are vastly over rated, personal opinion only. You seem to be paying for the name, not the cartridge.

Are your bullets in different mags, the same grain?

Are they subs, or high's?

"hollow point to cut through the quarry"

If the hollowpoint cuts through the quarry, what excatly will a solid do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not a criticism deadeye, I just cannot fathom why you swap from hollows to solid's over a different range.

Bazooka Joe.

Not a criticism deadeye, I just cannot fathom why you swap from hollows to solid's over a different range.

BJ

Both bullets are the same grain and sub-sonic and there is no difference whatso ever at 60yds ,however at 80 there is .

Without using any aid but only my proephiral vision under lamp conditions do you think i can judge the difference between 1-5 yds . :D

I'm either shooting long range or i'm not.

Eley do a round for LONG RANGE HUNTING

It's called .22 LR High Velocity SOLID :lol: There is also the hollow point available in this format as well.

I think it's fair to say that they do know a bit about Ballistics

Some particular guns(Even the same brand) shoot hps accurately and consistantly over long distance and some don't ......

Ive

Edited by deadeye ive

Ive,

Eley do a round for LONG RANGE HUNTING

Which one is that? I don't use Eley. Do Eley know about Ballistics, yes they do, that's why I'm curious to know which solid round they advacate for LONGRANGE HUNTING?

Also, why swap from hollows to solids over 60yds. I notice from your profile, you have stalking. Would you use a Full metal Jacket on a Deer, opposed to Softpoint/Hollowpoint.

Same principal, just a different quarry.

Bazooka Joe.

I'm talking about rimfires and rabbits here mate Completley different to stalking as i don't think i'd be very popular shooting Deer in the Head :D

The only comparison is a quick and humane kill and as your meant to put the shot placement in the Deers Boiler room the ballistical properties of the round are critical if they are to achieve this.

You should'nt be having to rely on expansion for rabbits ,idealy the Hp provides a somewhat assurance that the rd fired won't or normaly won't exit the Quarry at shorter ranges.

Right i'm off to work Now

Ive

Still the same principal Ive.

You should'nt be having to rely on expansion for rabbits ,idealy the Hp provides a somewhat assurance that the rd fired won't or normaly won't exit the Quarry at shorter ranges.

And what exactly will your Solid do at either short, or long range?

Designed for targets, & thats what they should be used for.

The hollowpoint wasn't designed not to exit the quarry, it's design was to create maximum tissue damage, for a more effective kill.

Every man to his own Ive, but I've seen to many rabbit hit & runs with solids. That was in the early days, now, with a lot more under the belt, I use what I know works best.

Long live the Hollowpoint.

Bazooka Joe.

Still the same principal Ive.

And what exactly will your Solid do at either short, or long range?

Designed for targets, & thats what they should be used for.

The hollowpoint wasn't designed not to exit the quarry, it's design was to create maximum tissue damage, for a more effective kill.

Every man to his own Ive, but I've seen to many rabbit hit & runs with solids. That was in the early days, now, with a lot more under the belt, I use what I know works best.

Long live the Hollowpoint.

Bazooka Joe.

Does an Experienced man with a 12 ft lb air gun need a hp to kill a Rabbit Humanley at 35 yds

Does an Experienced man with a 35 ft lb air gun need a hp to kill a Rabbit Humanely at 80 yds

Its all about ACCURATE shot placement and knowing the potential of yourself ,gun and ammunition unlike the examples you point out.

With no further comments

Ive