Pigeons dying

Guest flightline

Guest flightline

Dying pigeons

Reports have been received of Woodpigeons dying in some numbers in the West Country. If anyone knows of this or encounters dying pigeons elsewhere, please contact the Research Department on 01244 573 016.

This report came from a BASC electronic newsletter Presumably it`s some sort of disease? Anybody know anything that could help BASC?

Ironic really. We`re all in the pest control business yet are terrified if pigeons are being wiped out by disease. :P

Flightline no offence, but hand on heart can you honestly say that we only shoot woodies for pest control reasons.  

I for one shoot them because they are a superb sporting bird, better than most other quarry species.  

It is a mutual benefit to us and the farmer when we shoot a good bag of woodies.

We are worried because if the woody population was reduced considerably we would be loosing many good days shooting at such a superb quarry.

Don't get me wrong I can and do sympathise with farmers when crops are badly damaged, and I am more than willing to help,  but i honestly feel i would also be shooting to enjoy the day.

Lets hope that the woodies in the west country are not suffering from a disease.  It would be the end of the world as I know it.

Guest flightline

Supergame I agree. I put it badly. We shoot pigeons because it`s a great sport. But we have no close season, and get access to land, on the basis of our claim to pest control as well.  :P