Another fox with the HMR

Steyr 6.5

:no: So at 275 thats a hold over of 11.45 inches correct?

Thats only if you are zeroed at 200yds which is a crazy 4"+ hold under at 100yds :oops:

I'm sorry but people who say "I zero 100 and aim straight on at 200" are either mistaken, have feet rather than yds on the range finder or have .17rem-its just not possible.

Have you actually shot paper at 285yds? you might be the best shooter in the world but because of the ballistics of the round I just don't think its humane. The three guys that did the 300yds test last year were running out of hold over on the scope not giving it one dot, you might just have very high magnification or big mildot spacing on your scope.

what distance do you all zero in with the hmr then i tend to set up at 100 yards

I zero at 30 yards (nice and easy for checking every now and again) that gives me 1.8 inches high between 70 - 100, an inch high at 130 yards and then bang on centre again at 150 yards. On my Falcon Menace I simply use the next mil dot up(between 70 - 100 yards) at 10 x mag then I know I’m spot on again. Mcroy has used this for a couple of years on his HMR and we shoot the same/similar land so its perfect for us. The only differentiating factor is the scope/scope height. I shot a full box at some targets over the weekend and got a 1/2 inch grouping at 150 (paced yards) smack on the centre of my ret. Next time I’ll have a play with the tactical turrets on the Falcon and work out exactly how many clicks I need to adjust at 100 yards etc.

According to the ballistic software that I have which is from Hawke if you zero at 100 yards with the .17HMR then Al4x is absolutely spot on 30 to 130 yards is point and shoot.

200 yards will need a 8.407" holdover and 18" at 250. 285 yards would be off the mildots and then some.

If I knew how to do a screen shot I would post it.

The .17HMR is a cracking little vermin control rifle but it ain't as cracked up to be as it is made out on this forum.

Have you actually shot paper at 285yds? you might be the best shooter in the world but because of the ballistics of the round I just don't think its humane. The three guys that did the 300yds test last year were running out of hold over on the scope not giving it one dot, you might just have very high magnification or big mildot spacing on your scope.

Nope, i havent shot paper at that range and as previously stated dont shoot many animals at that distance, probaly 2 over the 250 mark, I was lying down, no wind sunny day witnessed and measured in yards on the busnell, with my 6-24x60 wound right the way up! I held over one mildot job done and witnessed!

May have been a fluke whole knows but it was hit in the eyeball and was very dead. at 200 yards i simply aim at the top of the skull or go for a body shot.

Most of the rabbits i shoot are under 100 yards and even under 50 but I CAN and DO take shots over 200 yards with great success!!! Providing theres no wind or long grass in the way!!!

When the weather improves Ill do some paper punching until then, thoise people insinuating that I am a liar feel free I dont care, I know what Im capable of and had a witness :oops:

100 yards seems to be the best zero point for me. When I paper punch at 150 my groups open up a fair bit, so i limit myself to 150 which in reality is quite close. Longest bunny was 120 - 130 yards which I've done twice (same straw bale and same warren :lol:) which was pretty easy going to be fair, so I can believe 200 yard+ shots.

When I get my Zeiss scope (:oops:) i'll give it a bash :no:

When the weather improves Ill do some paper punching until then, thoise people insinuating that I am a liar feel free I dont care, I know what Im capable of and had a witness :no:

I aint calling you a liar with the 200 yards shots, (In fact Im gunna do my best this summer to support your claim!! :oops: , at which point Ill re-open the thread), I think the round is capable of easily killing a Rabbit at 200 yards (at 250 yards the round is still travelling at 1212 fps with 55 fpe), I guess its just the hold over thats in debate...

Edited by stevienicknacks

I'm not calling you a liar EE but the round will drop 8"ish at 200yds from a 100yds zero, its physics-its a fact.

I have and will shoot that far but its pushing it for the round and I would be happier with the .223 but even then groups will get big, i think unless you can guarantee a sub 1.5" for rabbit and 3" group for fox/deer its in-humane to shoot them. Its my opinion and I sometimes push it further out but even with a range finder exact ranging if difficult.

It would be cool if someone had the land to do another long range test with a few members when spring/summer comes, its nice to shoot other rifles and maybe see some other rounds. Its also an eye opener to see how wayward things get at long range.

ben

I'll second that :rolleyes::rolleyes: 200 yards is do-able but the hold over is hard to calculate- I mean how on earth does one judge 8" at a target some 200 yards away- I cant , so I use my 222 centre fire for fox

Les :good:

Adult grazing rabbit would be about 5" high regardless of how far away it is. :angry: