Cartridge suppliers in Kent / Essex!

Hi all

Finally got my shotgun certificate through this morning! Woohoo! :oops:

Now, I'd like to get a range of cartridges to try. As I've mentioned before, my local RFD is pricey and not very helpful - but as it happens, I'm likely to be in either Kent (Canterbury) or Essex (Braintree) this weekend, and I'm wondering if anyone can reccomend a good cart supplier in either of these? The only one I know in Kent is Greenfields, that's quite close to me but don't know what their prices are like. I'll give them a bell shortly. But are there any others that are worth a look?

Many thanks.

Essex Gun is probably the most miserable.

i wont be making a trip there then. :rolleyes:

like i said i've not used them but one of my mates pops in if going past for cartridges, at better prices than the local rfd's :angry:

its all relative i suppose, if you try the local rfd to me you'd know what miserable was. :good:

i normally travel 20 miles each way rather than the 1 to the local one :rolleyes:

I have always found Essex gun to be very helpful, they are Humans and like all of us have bad days, service is 1st class, prices usually knock spots of the competition for guns as well as ammo, they recently did THREE yes THREE RFD transfers for me to their place AND Allan boxed it all up for me, and they did all the Section 1 paperwork how much did they charge me ? Not a single penny !.. :rolleyes:

Another vote for Eastern Sporting.

As a newbie you will do what everybody else did despite advice to the contrary.

You will:

1. at some stage buy some snap caps

2. buy a slab of the most expensive cartridges known to mankind in the belief that it will make you shoot like a god - they won't, you will just have less money and a sore face

3. buy a shotgun certificate wallet / holder which will be embossed with the logo of a gun shop you only ever visited once and you will find that the size of the wallet bears no relation to the actual size of your certificate - you will find that the only way to get your SGC into the wallet so that the front section presents with your photo, will be to fold it a zillion times.

4. you will clean your gun every time you use it - unless you are ex military, this will last maybe 6 months. If you are ex military you are probably cleaning something whilst reading this or re-assembling something having just deep cleaned it.

5. you will buy a 3 gun cabinet, then sell it and buy a 5 and then sell that and buy something much bigger having ignored the advice to buy the biggest cabinet you can afford and possibly locate at your home, first time around.

6. you will at some point have a spare £250 odd and will be tempted to buy a Hatsan either new or second hand. Resist the temptation, but if you must buy the Hatsan pump - you will kill two birds with one stone, but with a pump there's a chance you will get it to cycle more than 2 cartridges consecutively

Ultimately you will end up shooting Eley Firsts 28g plaswads (cheap, pattern well and do the business) or anything that is on "special".

Here endeth the lesson.

It's uncanny! You're so right!

You will:

Was just thinking that brass snap caps would be the way forward...

2. buy a slab of the most expensive cartridges known to mankind in the belief that it will make you shoot like a god - they won't, you will just have less money and a sore face

Was also thinking this has to be worth a try - if I spend enough on cartridges, I expect to be able to hit anything anywhere any time at any angle and any speed. Behind me. Intentionally!

3. buy a shotgun certificate wallet / holder which will be embossed with the logo of a gun shop you only ever visited once and you will find that the size of the wallet bears no relation to the actual size of your certificate - you will find that the only way to get your SGC into the wallet so that the front section presents with your photo, will be to fold it a zillion times.

Actually, I wasn't thinking about this one. I did think it would come as a small card that would just fit in my wallet. Nooo! (Mind you, at least they spelt my name right on the certificate, they got it wrong twice, in two different ways, on the envelope and on the covering letter...

4. you will clean your gun every time you use it - unless you are ex military, this will last maybe 6 months. If you are ex military you are probably cleaning something whilst reading this or re-assembling something having just deep cleaned it.

Yes, there will be a lot of cleaning. I expect it to last a bit longer than washing my new car did. (One wash) :s

5. you will buy a 3 gun cabinet, then sell it and buy a 5 and then sell that and buy something much bigger having ignored the advice to buy the biggest cabinet you can afford and possibly locate at your home, first time around.

I got a 4 gun cabinet, but am already wondering if it will have room for two or three O/Us and at least one semi auto, plus the air rifles I already have in it :s

6. you will at some point have a spare £250 odd and will be tempted to buy a Hatsan either new or second hand. Resist the temptation, but if you must buy the Hatsan pump - you will kill two birds with one stone, but with a pump there's a chance you will get it to cycle more than 2 cartridges consecutively

Again, yes. I haven't got a decent O/U yet, but am already looking out for a cheap semi auto or pump to go with it!

Ultimately you will end up shooting Eley Firsts 28g plaswads (cheap, pattern well and do the business) or anything that is on "special".

I was looking at fibre carts (at least one of my shoots requires them), but who knows... :s Good to know that I'm in the right place with fellow addicts! :rolleyes:

Here endeth the lesson.

Cheers!

Giles

Edited by sandspider

Hi all

Finally got my shotgun certificate through this morning! Woohoo! :rolleyes:

Now, I'd like to get a range of cartridges to try. As I've mentioned before, my local RFD is pricey and not very helpful - but as it happens, I'm likely to be in either Kent (Canterbury) or Essex (Braintree) this weekend, and I'm wondering if anyone can reccomend a good cart supplier in either of these? The only one I know in Kent is Greenfields, that's quite close to me but don't know what their prices are like. I'll give them a bell shortly. But are there any others that are worth a look?

Many thanks.

Could try huttonscartridges in Deal, great prices.

http://www.huttonscartridges.co.uk/

You will:

Here endeth the lesson.

:rolleyes: LMAO

Well i could do with some magic - perhaps even a trip to perazzi for a custom made jobby :good:

They ain't that special. By all means have a play on a Perazzi and a K80 etc but I don't think they are all that. Mind you, ask a Perazzi or a Kreighoff owner and they will tell you different.

Once you get in the mindset that you want *the* gun that will last you a lifetime and that you will never change or actively look to upgrade on, then you won't get hung up on the name or any name on the gun, you will just buy *the* gun that feels the best for you. To some extent it's in the mind really. But once you eliminate the gun from your mind you will relax and focus more on your shooting. And following on, the best piece of advice I ever took was not to buy a gun with an adjustable stock - it's just something else for you to question or think is out / wrong when your shooting goes off.

You are going through a flat spell at the moment - I bet you the contents of my wallet that when you shooting went South you started changing chokes and are still probably changing chokes.

There will be a gun for you that when you pick it up, you will think "ooooo yeah that's a bit special".

Start picking them up.

Essex Gun, brilliant rays of happy shining light that they are still hold the most stock for a 100 miles. See big Alan and start picking a few guns up.

If you fancy a mid week bunk on some clays let me know - I have hit my May end of year annual target this week a cool 3 months early. Bunking-tastic.