Shotgun, best all rounder

Axe

Axe and Enzo, looks like you 2 guys are a marriage made in Heaven :lol:

Sounds like Axe your getting there. It can either be stressful of fun making the choice. ££££££££ makes it stressful as you don't want to waste it. But the more you talk and look at guns the more fun it becomes and you gat a clearer picture.

Your right to stick in a couple of chokes and stick with them for a while. It great to have the option so you can tune your gun to you and the cartridges you use. Once that done I say stick to it for the "main run".

I have used game guns with the same choking. You can always use different lead.

Get the gun, set up some square of 1/4 MDF board, shoot at it with different chokes - same cartdidge and look at penatration. Them stick to the same choke, don't change it but change the cartridge size, see if you get much difference in penatration.

I have done some of this and I guess this is why I don't stress on chokes, I am more inclind to change my shell for those shots we could all bore you with.

The big question is this. When you find a mix that doesn't penatrate as much, would you like someone shooting it at you at 35yrds :*) :)

Take care

Axe, no probs - its certainly a laugh!! Trying to shoot little black discs... :lol:

Big Dog - down tiger, this ain't a singles site all of a sudden is it? :)

Going to have a look at a Berreta 686E tomorrow night(tues).

Let you know how I get on.

ATB Enzo

Quick update on the proceedings so far.........

Raced up to Heathrow last night on Bike, viewed/handled Berreta, agreed price, left deposit and rode home again through pi5sing rain/accidents and traffic :<

Now, when does my sgc land on the doormat FEO?? B)

Enzo

When did you apply Enzo?

Do you have any idea from the other Sussex boys how it normally takes?

If you feel it has been delayed a bit give the guy a call, or the HQ, just a gentle nudge.

I get on really well with my FEO (which has always worked for me) some people regard them as the enemy and then wonder why everything takes so long B) Mine is a wabbit/target shooter, and a pike fisherman so he has to be OK bloke!

Enzo, I have checked with various people and new grants are currently taking 12 weeks. Tried BASC who responded, forget it, we cant get it through any quicker with sussex police, sorry! B) . However, renewals are being processed in around 8 weeks and can be rushed through.

Regards,

Axe.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway back to your original question best all rounder got to be a multichoke then if the gun fits and above all you like it as well dont be fooled by many an advert in any mag showing you a lovely pic or a pic of someone holding a great gun that they have won this and that , or where you shoot has a Browning or similar ,so you feel you have to have the same make most of them could not shoot a barn door at 10yds with them looks good when they tell you what they have. Good luck.

I first started shooting with a sxs baikal 12 bore 28 inch barrels 1/2 and 1/4 choke and did ok back then i didnt understand chokes etc all i knew was i pointed the gun pulled the trigger and was killing stuff :lol: Not to long ago i bought a sxs bsa 30 inch barrels non ejector for £50 the firing pins were broken so i had them replaced and the action tightened up (cost about £45) Im not 100% sure of the choke on it all i know is my shooting has improved tremendously and i feel alot more confident. At the end of the day scrap chokes barrel size ejectors and most importantly forget about money. Go out pick up and handle several different guns and see which you feel most comfortable with :lol:

• 2 months later...

very simalar to you i was looking for my first shotgun about this time last year. after shooting rifles from a young age.

A gun is all about fit and personal belife. if you feel you shoot better with a berretta you will.

Coffidents in your kit means alot. if i change my choke it only knowing i have alot of long/close shot to make. at first i started with skeet chokes in both and then changed. learn to shoot with one set of chokes in. 1/2 and 3/4 but dont keep changing them.

i shoot a browning 525 and love it can hit most thing with it, and slowly getting better.

i know this might offend some people and i really dont mean it to but i can't shoot a berretta. ive tried and failled.

i went to a clay school and tryed all sort/brands/ age ect. but i keep going back to the browning.

people said me your either a browning man or a berretta.

i don't think like but your right for a kind of gun...

just try as many as you can before you buy so you get the right one

I don't think you'll go wrong with either a Browning or Beretta O/U 12g or 20g, and if you buy secondhand you'll probably get nearly all your money back when you come to sell.

Do try (shoot,) with both though as they are different. I liked the handling of the beretta over the browning, but its personal choice and there as many who prefer the browning over the beretta.

Most decent gun shops will let you have a couple of guns on approval.

Ones to look at are Beretta 686/687 and Browning 325/425/525 (personally i would avoid the browning medallist as you'll soon want to trade upto a better gun)

Edited by bindi

I got my first gun 12 months ago and was advised by a relative in the "trade", (he deals in guns worth thousands), that the best one to go for was a Beretta 686. I managed to find a 686s , 30", multi choke , second hand for £695.

I know its not the cheapest out there, but it fits like a glove and I haven't looked back since, still miss lots of clays though!

i was in the same situation, i had an old sarasqueta sbs i had shot mainly field game , hare etc , then my son wanted to get into clay shooting so thought better upgrade to a o/u , did loads of reserch , eventually settled for a franchi harrier multi choke 20b for him , absolutly beautiful light gun , its one of the baretta family and very similar to the beretta 686 he used at the clay range , so well built and not very expensive ,(I paid approx £560 new ) and the beauty is that the franchis are made to accept different barrels from the same make , as well ,so will be easy to upgrade to a 12b ,without having to get used to a totally new gun , getting a multi choke is a good idea , as you can use the open chokes for clays and the tighter ones for more general work , i,m so pleased with my purchase i,m looking for a franchi alcione for myself , all the best andy

Edited by andybk

Axe

I have had a quick read through the posts here and the best thing I think you could do is go to a (decent) clay ground, get an expert to fit you with a club gun, shoot it and base your choice of shotty on what your experience there tells you. I like a 12b SA in general, but also have a 12b S/S in case I get invited on a game shoot.

Pete

I've got a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon III 30" M/C and it shoots better than me that's for sure.

As one of the guys here has already said, fitted with 1/4 & 1/2 choke it will manage most tasks without fuss.

All the best

Toby...

Axe, I had lessons before buying one and wish to hell I had bought the gun I was using, a Berretta Silver Pigeon.

I have never shot as well as I did with that one however it was heavy and you said you would like a lighter one.

LB

Just a note, if anyone does like the silver pigeon, and its a fantastic gun,

it comes in both game and sporting versions (with the game gun being lighter in weight)

hope this helps

bindi

why can everyone else shoot berretta and i can't.... is there something wrong with me?

I wouldn't worry, there's about an equal split at my club between Beretta/Brownng/Others.

A lot of the guys who shoot brownings have also tried beretta's, couldn't get on with them so stuck with what feels right for them (and vice versa the Beretta guys (myself included, I can shoot ok with my mates 425, but prefer my Beretta))

So if you are getting on nicely with your Browning, stick to it, and sell it at your peril.

Good shooting!!!