1st Time Muntjac Stalking....................

Evil Elvis

:good: I booked an afternoon with muntjacstalker for today, the weather in Corringham was very wet, however once i got up the a1 it was snow blizzArds.......Driving was ok as I went in the freelander,. thank god I didnt go in the mondeo.

On arrival to his farm there was a lot of snow about and it was freezing!!! How ever Muntjacstalker was confident we would get one.

He started of by testing my shooting skills with the .243 tikka, which was fine.....phew....always nervous shooting in front of a new person!!

We headed off and did a drive around the woods, spotting several Munties from the car, they are I have to say difficult to spot, however Im sure this was made easier by the snow...without which I may have struggled.

We stopped in a field opposite a wood and headed out into the wind, down a hill into a meadow to get to the woods, however at the foot of a slope about 200 yards away was a doe, we decided to try and get closer and crept through the long grass, just off to our right another Munty crept into a blackberry bush, by a small stream and hid, i would not have been able to shoot this one as it was an unsafe shot, there were buildings in the distance.

As we began to close the distance between usand the origional Munty, muntjacstalker spotted some movement about 70 yards away in some nettles, directly in line with us, it turned out to be another doe casually munching the exposed grass. I laid down and put the rifle on the bipod but I couldnt see her over the grass so he extended the legs and told me to sit up, Im not familair with shooting from this position but it was comfortable, just as well, we waited what seemed an age for her to turn broadside, sitting in the snow!!! She did eventually turn and I squeezed off a round at her shoulder, she leapt up in the air and then backflipped down into the stream!!

That was where it got confusing,muntjacstalker held out his hand to congradualte me when up the bank clambered a doe from where she had fallen!!! As quick as you like he had the rifle up and ready for a follow up shot but i told him to wait, I was sure I had 100% hit her as i saw debris fly out behind her, and the one now running hell for leather down the meadow was not wounded....confused...for a second. We then looked down into the stream and there she was, very dead, it must have been the one from the blackberry bush!!!

She was very dead and the entry wound was spot on (according to muntjacstalker), he showed me how to graloch and we went off to another woods.

b_160950.jpg

On arrival to the second wood we walked for quite a long time before we eventually saw a huge buck and off to the left another doe, we set off after the doe very very slowly as the snow was quite crunchy, we managed to get into position about 60 yards away from her but just as I was about to take the shot i moved a piece of reed and she bolted. DOH!!!

We walked on into the woods as the light began to fade and could just make out a doe under a bush, we watched her for a while until she came out slightly and created the opportunity of a shot, which i took standing off muntjacstalker's shoulder, whallop, this time it didnt even twitch, just fell on the spot, wierdly enough, without the scope i could not really see the animal until we were nearly on top of it, light brown on green aint a good combination for me!!! Again shot placement was spot on and she was graloched there and then, we left the heart and liver in for the ferrets.

b_171508.jpg

We made our way back to the farm then, it was pitch black by the time we got back!!! Where i retrieved my camera from the car (the other pics were on my phone!)

b_180613.jpg

All in all a very cool afternoon, Id thoroughly recommend anyone to give it a try!!! I bent muntjacstalker's ear all afternoon for tips on how to spot them and track them etc, as one of my farms has loads on....I just cant get near them..........roll on my .223 variation................ :good:

Edited by Evil Elvis

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stalking, plenty of quarry and great company, what more do you want to have a good day out? The smile on your face tells us how much you enjoyed the day and two munties for the freezer, what a result! :good:

Good photos and a great write up make it so much more interesting, well done mate, I'm envious! :good:

I didn't realise they were that small. Aww ain't they cute

Most living things start out small and then get bigger as they grow :good:

Can you use a rimmy on them if they're that small?

No.

Normal small deer calibre laws apply.

Well done Baz nice trip and a good write up.

Depending on what they have been feeding on they taste great, I posted a recipe in the recipe section (oddly enough) a while back, try that with a piece it's very nice.

Most living things start out small and then get bigger as they grow :good:

No.

Normal small deer calibre laws apply.

ha ha. I walked into that. So what you're saying is EE didn't kill bambis mum, he killed Bambi and faline?

Is the venison just as good from muntjac as it is from Roe and red?