right handed left eyed

columbus

I am like you. Right handed but shoot with my left ever since I started using a shotgun I dont think that i could even mount a gun to my right shoulder these days

My gun has a slight left hand cast and is ideal for me

I read in the sporting gun in one of John Bidwells columns that people like us are twice as likely to be behind some birds as right handed shooters. I quite agree with him as the way i am shooting lately all of my shots are behind the bird

Highdowns hunter

When i had my r/h/cast gun i was always looking over the r/h barrel when mounting the gun. Therfore any bird  that was travelling from left to right  i  was automaticly in front of .Because the barrels were not pointing where i was aiming the barrels would be in front of the bird.If a bird was treading air about to land i would have to aim to the left of the bird to hit it.But any bird that was traveling right to left i would be behind therefore i would have to give it twice as mutch lead than a bird traveling the other way, it all gets very complecated but adds to the fun!

Highdowns hunter

When i had my r/h/cast gun i was always looking over the r/h barrel when mounting the gun. Therfore any bird  that was travelling from left to right  i  was automaticly in front of .Because the barrels were not pointing where i was aiming the barrels would be in front of the bird.If a bird was treading air about to land i would have to aim to the left of the bird to hit it.But any bird that was traveling right to left i would be behind therefore i would have to give it twice as mutch lead than a bird traveling the other way, it all gets very complecated but adds to the fun!

Hello pc

If i was you i would read and reread what i said then perhaps you would get your average up to 5 per box then.but seriously i think the only way i can explain it is like this.Take rule lay it on a piece of paper and draw 2 parallel lines of equi distance like this

b--------------------

x                          y                           z

a--------------------  

if we take that (a) is the r/barrel and (:P the l/barrel and xy the rib,and z is the target

so when you mount the gun to hit a stationry target your line of sight should be xy to z but when you have a wrong handed gun for your self and mount it your line of sight is (a) to( y) not x to y as it should be get it now!

I,m right handed and i used to have a right master eye but since having an operation in my right eye (about 7 yrs ago)i've found that it isnt as domanant.i then found when shooting left rights looking with my left eye down the side of the gun at the target rather than down the rib,to stop this happening i close my left eye just slightly which seems to give me right eye domanance again( probably hit more if i shut both eyes anyway!)

Neil.

Some of the people i have spoken to who have the same problem as myself ,have said that it helps to close one eye. I know you are supposed to shoot with both eye's open but it dos'nt always work like that.My left eye is my master eye but i cannot see anything out of my right eye so i am shooting with one eye closed effectively. So if it works don't knock it. That sounds like a good signature!

Ok just to complicate things a little more here goes

My left eye is my master eye  and as I shoot left handed i dont have too much of a problem.

I think that the easiest way to test if you are aiming correctly is to pick a stationary target. Mount your gun and aim at it with both eyes open. then close your NON master eye. if your aim is still on target then there shouldnt be a problem with shooting with both eyes open. If you are off target talk to an optomeritist or optician what ever they are called these days

Or get a gun which is fitted to your needs

H H

You can do the same test with your finger pointed at an object,close your r/eye if it dos'nt move your left eye is your master eye ,if it does your r/eye is your master eye . but what do you do if your left eye is your master but you are r/handed and cannot mount a gun l/ handed. Time for a cossover stock i think.

I suppose it is easy for me to say as i have been shooting with my left since i was 16 But as my left eye is my master eye i found it really comfortable and a  natural position apart from the swing which comes with practice. I think that a couple of hundred cartridges at clays might make it easier for someone who has to change over to shooting with the left shoulder/eye

Read this topic with great intrest.As i now have got my shotgun licence,and am currently useing a mates gun.

My worry is this i am right handed mount the gun to my right shoulder, but my right eye is bad very bad (i know i'm not supposed to swear so please feel free to put your own rude words in). i do wear glasses to correct my vision(think mr magoo) after a suffered a detached retena a while ago my site in my right eye got worse.

So as such i shoot with my left eye closed.Is it possible to teach myself to shoot left handed, and for it to feel semi-natural?

jim

Thanks for the tips here fella's.As it was raining today i took the afternoon off work and visited my local friendly gun dealer, after a brief chat about my dodgy right eye he convinced me to buy the only lefted handed gun he had in his shop. :laugh:  :laugh: I also made sure he would give me a good price for the gun if i just could'nt manage to master l/h shooting. So i have become the newest convert to shooting kak handed.  :P

all the best   jim