Geese and Duck shooting trips

Crux of it is fella, there is alot of us on here that know alot more about wildfowl than you think. In fact there are quite a few who hold what you do as a profession in pure contempt as it is a threat to the whole basis of wildfowl shooting in the British Isles.

Ok you have a business and a living to earn, and to a degree I respect that in some form or another.There will always be business to be had from someone in the shooting world who wants a go at what you have on offer.

I feel sorry for the wildfowling fraternity in scotland I really do, as to me the whole business of goose shooting there is not controlled enough for the safety of its preservation for years to come.Every season it is nothing more than a habitual people invasion in my opinion.

I dont sit behind any computer and pronounce waffle when it comes to wildfowling, I live and breathe it.

I have been to scotland and shot fowl more times than I can remember, and every time it has been by invite from like minded people as myself who I have had the pleasure to associate in the fowling world over the years. Never have I shot big numbers, and never even wanted too, but still ended up with many memorable days to remember.

If you want a tip, deviate from the norm, offer a day to recall rather than a guided day where people say,

'I stuffed loads and loads of geese at 20 yards on a stubble field somewhere in Scotland'

Regards

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look Starlight,

your right there are a lot of people on this forum that may no a lot more about wildfowling then me, but what I am saying about our shooting is the truth and I also live and breathe it ,I will stand on a pond all night to shoot one duck or goose like you. I have and number of ponds and I never shoot them for bag size, but you like me can go as many times as we like and shoot them and walk away happy with a hand full, but there are some people that cant do that, and days like I offer in parts of Scotland which I have shot for 11 years where the Geese keep coming back in bigger and bigger numbers gives them the chance have that day to remember, they are not 20yards I think you know better then that as well!

Please tell me do you shoot 30 pigeons and stop no, do you shoot 25 rabbits and stop no, pheasants no 5 foxes no, the geese are sill the same they need controlling .you seem to know what you are talking about and I respect that, and yes your trips would be very good no doubt but if you added up all your geese and ducks you have shot over the years your number would be getting on too, some of our gun's can only ever do one of our trips but they keep there memories for a lift time, the same as you and I would about our ponds.

I feel sorry for the wildfowling fraternity in Scotland I really do: as for this comment the part of Scotland we shoot in depends on this income each year and has done for years.

This has gone on for 3 days now some people agree and some don't, I have always respected that, but when it turns into a you don't know what your doing topic, is when things get silly, yes there are better offers out there maybe just as good but all I can do is off the site the going rate we charge, we have 3 weeks booked now and we only opened the book last week, and that's just guns from last year so no I don't need to sell the days that much I was only a offer to site lads

I am sorry if some of my answers may of upset some people as there's have mine, but if you new the set up and the way we done things you will see my point.

A

Edited by Shotgunspud

Spud,

I've read this topic with interest since you first posted. I'm not here to judge you but if you take my advice it would be that you made a huge mistake offering bags of "100 plus" in your initial post. Wether you ment it or not it paints the wrong image of you and your outfit. To simply say you stick to the BASC guidlines would have sufficed.

Anyway, the one thing I am really intrigued by, and I'm not knocking you in any way here, is how you actually get people to pay for what you are offering?

In this area the going rate for a morning goose flight and an evening duck/goose flight is £125. You charge and extra £85 on top of this for being a middle man.

So you make on a group of 5 guns,

£425 per DAY

£2550 per WEEK

£15300 in a 6 week period.

YOUR MAKING MORE MONEY THAN THE GUIDE!

If you don't mind me asking what do you actually do for this money?

Bar phoning the guide and booking your clients in with him I'm stuck for the answer. :good:

Mark.

from reading these posts the only conclusion i come to is, book with a basc registerd guide yourself and cut out the middle man and his hefty comision which would pay your digs and evening meal no problem . a good guide should not be that hard to find with a bit of homework and ask for referances if possible

Too many haters on this thread.

If people want to join Spud let them he offers a good days shooting more than most can.

this almost looks like an attack, I think people should go and find another way of letting off steam.

Why not get off the laptop and go shooting whatever shooting you do, and enjoy yourself after all thats what it is all about.

This place should be a place to exchange info not to have a running battle on posts

Shame, lets try harder.

Too many haters on this thread.

If people want to join Spud let them he offers a good days shooting more than most can.

this almost looks like an attack, I think people should go and find another way of letting off steam.

Why not get off the laptop and go shooting whatever shooting you do, and enjoy yourself after all thats what it is all about.

This place should be a place to exchange info not to have a running battle on posts

Shame, lets try harder.

well said he, :angry:

£15300 in a 6 week period.

YOUR MAKING MORE MONEY THAN THE GUIDE!

If you don't mind me asking what do you actually do for this money?

Bar phoning the guide and booking your clients in with him I'm stuck for the answer. :oops:

Mark.

Still no answer to Mark`s or my post eh ?

Perhaps it`s only those with something to hide never answer questions ?

However you still haven`t answered Mark`s question :rolleyes:

Marks question,

The guides we have charge more then he is started, and some on the land we rent is more as our Italian friends go over our heads at the drop of a hat, also i wish we made that much on a days shooting as i may do more then 6 weeks if that was the case.

You have tried your best to put anyone off going on our days which didn't work i might add, and we are now full, we make £35 a gun a day... for that we drive up there from Kent, one of us spend 6weeks in a very remote part of Scotland in a hotel away from our homes and family's and yes we get discount hotel price before you try and hang on that one for your next post, we use our 4x4's as most of our guns fly up, we pick them up from the airport and drop off, we also make sure the gun's are getting what they want out of the trip, we guide most of our trips calling picking up etc and control the shooting of bag numbers.

There is no need for me to justify myself to you or mark on my cost of days, as i said my books are full so we must be doing something right...

If you can do it any cheaper than we can and offer what we do as shooting my friend good on you!!

Happy now??

stop justifying your business Shotgunspud, no one knows how you run it or what overheads you have. The fact your order books are full is great and says enough. If guns didn't like it they wouldn't come back.

I have nothing to hide mate, it may just shut him up and he may stop hanging on!

Thanks anyway,

Al4x i have some of the PW members coming up to wales shooting this winter would you like to come up my shout? PM if your up for it. Geese and Ducks

A

Bit emotional that ist'nt it? He broke down in tears? What kind of numpty goes back after one bad experience let alone 4 times.Give me strength...Strap back mate.......210 quid for a day on geese.....

I tell you what I'll start giving out guided day's on greys, pinks and even whitefront in Norfolk for a fiver a day ticket next season....You wont shoot 29 geese or 23 ducks because I would'nt let you, but what you will get is a stunning day in Norfolk and you will see more wildfowl than you can ever imagine.

Really sometimes you paid shooting agents need to get your sales pitch right......

I don't need a guide to shoot geese or any fowl for that matter.......The sooner the shooting community relizes the most enjoyable way to do it is through your local club and experience wildfowling the real way the better the shooting world will be :lol::P

I would sooner see people travel to scotland and use a permit system through one of the many clubs up there that have worked so hard like UK clubs to preserve the sport of wildfowling in their area for others to enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tell you what

Well said Starlight,

The main issue here is greed, Will all these so called guides be helping to protect the sport of wildfowling when it comes to the crunch. How many of them help out the clubs that fighht so hard to maintain land to shoot on?

How many of them realise the damge they are doing to the sport by allowing their "Customers" to shoot huge ammounts of birds. Wild birds at that, not ones reared for the purpose like pheasants.

There obviously is big money in it if someone can be a goose guide in scotland from living in kent.

And to be perfectly honest I would rather pay your club for a nday ticket than line some Goose guides pocket.

one goose down the foreshore is worth 100 under the deeks !!!! and wont break the bank!!!

At least some people know what they are talking about!!! <_<

If it was going free I wouldn't thank you for it....

Spud,

Thanks for replying to my question. As I said I wasn't knocking you, just curious there must have been more to your business than meets the eye for people to pay you that much money.

If your busy and you get repeat custom then there is a place for you out there. :good:

Cheers,

Mark.

I read this yesterday looked at price thought someone is having a laugh here goose shooting scotland

poster from deal in kent

Was going to pick up on this but I see someone already has. Only I'm not familiar with Deal in Aberdeenshire. Unless it refers to cards.

:hmm::hmm::hmm::yes::good::hmm:

if people are happy with the costs involved and the type of shooting offered then who's business is it but theirs, or the vendor, to many on here so far up their own sanctimonious jacksies its practically vomit inducing.

KW

• 8 years later...

GOOSE & DUCK SHOOTING AVAILABLE ON SEVERAL PRIVATE ESTATES IN DUMFRIES & GALLOWAY SCOTLAND

I am a retired keeper still do a bit to keep active  anyone interested give me a call no cowboys entertained

BASC BAG LIMITS  >> MORNING GOOSE DECOYING OVER CROP FIELDS EVENING SHOOTING BOTH GEESE & ducks over rivers & lochs

FARMHOUSE B/B DOGS WELCOME

keeperjbb@gmail.com

GOOSE.jpg

52 minutes ago, bradesbounty said:

GOOSE & DUCK SHOOTING AVAILABLE ON SEVERAL PRIVATE ESTATES IN DUMFRIES & GALLOWAY SCOTLAND

I am a retired keeper still do a bit to keep active  anyone interested give me a call no cowboys entertained

BASC BAG LIMITS  >> MORNING GOOSE DECOYING OVER CROP FIELDS EVENING SHOOTING BOTH GEESE & ducks over rivers & lochs

FARMHOUSE B/B DOGS WELCOME

keeperjbb@gmail.com

What sort of money are we talking for a day / weekends shooting?

• 2 years later...