Geese and Duck shooting trips

daytickets won't get you on private land though, assuming this guide pays a yearly rent for prime ground then what amounts are reasonable to shoot. !00 was split between 5 guns over a week in the example and did include ducks as well. Without knowing how often they shoot can anyone say its overshot? You pay £50-100 for a day shooting pigeons so is it that far off the mark if you are travelling a long way and as far as possible want to actually do some shooting.

I know a few on here go with a guide in Essex and pay between £50 for a flight and £120 a day, this is more but depending on the location must have something going for it if he's nearly fully booked already

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, the season to come is 17 weeks long, from 15th September, when they arrive, until the end of the season. 17x 100 = 1700+ geese, by one outfit ! That`s going to make an impact on 70K

Let`s face facts, will all shooting be over winter cereal fields/grass ? None over stubbles ? None on their roosts ?

As anyone who shoots inland geese in Scotland, because that is what it is, not wildfowling, will tell you that geese do not hit cereals and grass until later in the season once the stubbles are gleaned.

Aberdeenshire is lovely, but there are too many John Waynes.

Absolutely spot on.We do a fair bit of inland deeking where we get a chance to,but to see some of the guides in action is a pure disgrace.Absolutely no regard for sensible bag limits and out of range shooting is rife.Note,i said some of the guides.

Well said Starlight,

The main issue here is greed, Will all these so called guides be helping to protect the sport of wildfowling when it comes to the crunch. How many of them help out the clubs that fighht so hard to maintain land to shoot on?

How many of them realise the damge they are doing to the sport by allowing their "Customers" to shoot huge ammounts of birds. Wild birds at that, not ones reared for the purpose like pheasants.

There obviously is big money in it if someone can be a goose guide in scotland from living in kent.

And to be perfectly honest I would rather pay your club for a nday ticket than line some Goose guides pocket.

You don’t even know me but you judge me on thinking we let our gun’s shoot over the top bags...

line our pockets if you new what we made on one gun per day you would may take that back…and the goose guide from Kent bit making a living in on Scotland trips, funny that but we don’t have the numbers of geese around deal as I said before we run the trips all over the world and Scotland last time I looked was in it.

Say what you want mate fill your boots!! I will not lose any sleep over small minded people with nothing better to do then have a pop at someone on a forum because they think they no better.

I put it up for some people to have a go if they want and if they don’t then have grate shooting where ever they go!!

Members that have sent me PM’s thank you.

A

Absolutely spot on.We do a fair bit of inland deeking where we get a chance to,but to see some of the guides in action is a pure disgrace.Absolutely no regard for sensible bag limits and out of range shooting is rife.Note,i said some of the guides.

This is what we stop,

Sorry to jump in but that is not us in anyway. We are there for a good safe, fair shot.

i have over the years seen groups doing just what you have said, and dump their bag one was well over the 200 marker bag we stopped and picked the whole lot up and reported the Guide to the police.

A

Edited by Shotgunspud

To me the facts are quiet simple -

£100 bag over 5 days with 5 guns would work out at £210 x 5 (guns) =£1050 x5 (days) =£5250 x 17 (weeks) = £89250.00

Someones on a good number!

I wish lads,

We olny take about 6 weeks split sometimes more as we have other shooting on at the same time the goose season is on , and we are at all our shoots.

A

Edited by Shotgunspud

He came to us asking if we could get him in, so he joined a small team of ours which I ran and we shot 39 , 13 geese to himself on the first day......

So no-one in the outfit, yours or the bought in guide, are BASC registered then !

This is what we stop,

Sorry to jump in but that is not us in anyway. We are there for a good safe, fair shot. (Is it fair to shoot over the BASC limits ?)

:good:

Give it up mate!! go to the foreshore shooting.

All the best with it.

I do shoot the foreshore as well as inland, and thanks :good:

If you and the guide aren`t willing to use the BASC guidelines, what else are you prepared to do for money ? One minute you say it is because they are a pest and next you say you shoot over stubbles, nah not convinced, it`s all about the money :yes:

guidelines are guidelines Henry I didn't know they were law. One in a party had a very good day but some didn't so the number for the party could be within the guidelines. Obviously people do measure results by numbers shot its only natural but doesn't only the person on the ground know the numbers present and how often they shoot the ground. If its overshot then geese numbers will dwindle and they won't be there to shoot or is this too simplistic, to think that people who get to shoot geese once a year or so can go and have a decent day on them.

My brother had a day with 8 guns before the season ended in Suffolk, he shot 12 with the guide and the rest shot one, so they all went home with a goose or two. Guess he should have stopped and not had a good day,

Edited by al4x

daytickets won't get you on private land though, assuming this guide pays a yearly rent for prime ground then what amounts are reasonable to shoot. !00 was split between 5 guns over a week in the example and did include ducks as well. Without knowing how often they shoot can anyone say its overshot? You pay £50-100 for a day shooting pigeons so is it that far off the mark if you are travelling a long way and as far as possible want to actually do some shooting.

I know a few on here go with a guide in Essex and pay between £50 for a flight and £120 a day, this is more but depending on the location must have something going for it if he's nearly fully booked already

Well actually it will get me onto private land, if it wasn't private then I wouldn't need a day ticket would I?

I see that shotgunspud is using the old "I don't make any money out of it" Chestnut. The same way that RFD's don't make money out of cartridges and British Gas don't make any money out of selling gas.

And yes Shotgunspud I do judge you on you letting greed get on the way of sport and allowing paying punters to shoot what they like. A lot of the marshes I shoot do not have any bag limits but I limit myself to 6 birds each time I go out.

It has nothing to do with being small minded, just about having a conscience to start with and thinking more about the sport of wildfowling and less about my wallet. You seem to be obsessed with the latter.

guidelines are guidelines Henry I didn't know they were law. One in a party had a very good day but some didn't so the number for the party could be within the guidelines. Obviously people do measure results by numbers shot its only natural but doesn't only the person on the ground know the numbers present and how often they shoot the ground. If its overshot then geese numbers will dwindle and they won't be there to shoot or is this too simplistic, to think that people who get to shoot geese once a year or so can go and have a decent day on them.

My brother had a day with 8 guns before the season ended in Suffolk, he shot 12 with the guide and the rest shot one, so they all went home with a goose or two. Guess he should have stopped and not had a good day,

Would he not have had a good day if he only shot 4 or 6 then? Is it all about killing large numbers with him?

I do shoot the foreshore as well as inland, and thanks :good:

If you and the guide aren`t willing to use the BASC guidelines, what else are you prepared to do for money ? One minute you say it is because they are a pest and next you say you shoot over stubbles, nah not convinced, it`s all about the money :yes:

No i said to me there sport and to the farmers there pest... What elae am i prepared to do for money get a life mate!!

My life is shooting no talking to someone who thinks he's a clever d-ck with a laptop,

My job is not to convince someone who sit's watching geese for hours on end and gets up set when her finds someone who actually shot some..

Think we leave it now mate you said what you want to say and so did i.

Thanks

A

Would he not have had a good day if he only shot 4 or 6 then? Is it all about killing large numbers with him?

no but it does make it a day to remember versus the more normal going out and not shooting any and certainly in his case guns would have gone home without any. His guide wasn't in the slightest concerned and was pleased one gun had a few,

i think everything as a price , all be it pigeons deer or wildfowl people will pay anything to do somthing they want to do and if it is to pay £200 + to shoot some geese then so be it , Some people are not as lucky as others and cant go on there door step to shoot geese i have 3 clubs near me who charge about £170 for the year and after talking to the secretary whos words was " you could go 15 times and not see a thing " but its the been out what is better than sitting in" i would rather save my money and pay to no i am going to get something , I for one have never shot a goose not even a duck and have been to my local marshes a good few times and always drawn a blank so if i could pay £200 quid for the chance to get even one goose i would be happy i can then knock it off my list of things , in all honesty i would prob shoot a max of 4-5 as i would not have room in my freezers for any more and would not just want to dump them as some people do , I think money is a big part of shooting now everyone seems to be charging for it now 70 for a day decoying or 100 quid to shoot a deer if you have never done it why not ? fair play to people if they can make some cash doing somthing they enjoy doing who are we to judge them good luck with the bookings shotgunspud if i had the cash to afford it i would take u up on the offer to bag my first geese .

100 birds over 5 days divided by 5 guns = 4 birds per gun per day. Not that many. However this works out at £52 per bird! the highest I heard this season for high (out of range) pheasants was £47.

This seems extremely steep! They are wild birds so how can you be so confident of achieving big bags?

[/quote

No mate the out of range pheasant are in North Wales and they are £48.50 plus vat. and the 100 bag is a day 2 x flights AM and PM, that is the limit we set, groups come up for 2-3 days the nomal bags are around 30 -50. but on some days you could go well over the 100 but we dont.

Sorry if i didnt make that clear.

Shotgunspud,

The last time we corresponded on this forum you displayed a monumental ignorance of the law surrounding the use of non toxic shot.

In the spirit of sporting friendship I just thought I`d let you know that it is acceptable to shoot geese with lead when shooting inland fields in Scotland.

Hopefully this will save you any confusion over what shot type you can use and where.

I note again that when you begin to lose a moral or technical argument that you have no other recourse than to fall back on personal insult. Do you deal with your paying clients in this fashion or do you have some other strategy that you employ with them?

Shotgunspud,

The last time we corresponded on this forum you displayed a monumental ignorance of the law surrounding the use of non toxic shot.

In the spirit of sporting friendship I just thought I`d let you know that it is acceptable to shoot geese with lead when shooting inland fields in Scotland.

Hopefully this will save you any confusion over what shot type you can use and where.

I note again that when you begin to lose a moral or technical argument that you have no other recourse than to fall back on personal insult. Do you deal with your paying clients in this fashion or do you have some other strategy that you employ with them?

Hello again, thanks for the heads up on the non toxic shot... lose ,i have nothing to lose my friend are books will fill themselves on passed shooters, as for the personal insult comment you think it's fair to sit on a laptop and be little someones business, when all they where doing was offering some shooting if you don't want to go on the trips i offer then that's up to you but the six that do want to go from the forum, can let you know when they get back how poor i run things.

i am sure we will talk again soon my friend stay well.

A

Hello again, thanks for the heads up on the non toxic shot... lose ,i have nothing to lose my friend are books will fill themselves on passed shooters, as for the personal insult comment you think it's fair to sit on a laptop and be little someones business, when all they where doing was offering some shooting if you don't want to go on the trips i offer then that's up to you but the six that do want to go from the forum, can let you know when they get back how poor i run things.

i am sure we will talk again soon my friend stay well.

A

Crux of it is fella, there is alot of us on here that know alot more about wildfowl than you think. In fact there are quite a few who hold what you do as a profession in pure contempt as it is a threat to the whole basis of wildfowl shooting in the British Isles.

Ok you have a business and a living to earn, and to a degree I respect that in some form or another.There will always be business to be had from someone in the shooting world who wants a go at what you have on offer.

I feel sorry for the wildfowling fraternity in scotland I really do, as to me the whole business of goose shooting there is not controlled enough for the safety of its preservation for years to come.Every season it is nothing more than a habitual people invasion in my opinion.

I dont sit behind any computer and pronounce waffle when it comes to wildfowling, I live and breathe it.

I have been to scotland and shot fowl more times than I can remember, and every time it has been by invite from like minded people as myself who I have had the pleasure to associate in the fowling world over the years. Never have I shot big numbers, and never even wanted too, but still ended up with many memorable days to remember.

If you want a tip, deviate from the norm, offer a day to recall rather than a guided day where people say,

'I stuffed loads and loads of geese at 20 yards on a stubble field somewhere in Scotland'

Regards