Hunter or hunted?

Paddy

Shooting on Sunday morning about 8am I shot my first. I dispatched the bird, laid it out in the landing position and returned to the hide. As I returned I heard wing beats and a bird landing on the dry pea stalks. I grabbed my gun and popped my head over the hide. There, about 25 yards from me was a buzzard trying to grab the pigeon I had just shot! Needless to say I put the gun down and shooed him off! He perched in a local tree and sat and watched for a while. I noticed that there were a number of patches of feathers in the field where I am now presuming the bird had made a few kills earlier! Have any of you had similar experiences?

Heard of a story where someone out decoying and after putting out his shot birds, and pigeons coming in well, all of a sudden they started to come in and shy away quickly. This happened for a while before he decided to investigate and found that something had paid a visit and bitten one of his birds head off. Hence the shying away.

Had a dog run off with a flexicoy on sunday, walker and dog ran away when a big guy in camo jumps out of hide and shouts "b***er off" waving a splendid bennelli at him. Wiped the slobber off (god that shines in the sun) once the dog droped it, and replaced in patern, no harm done.

Do have the smaller raptors hitting the dead birds never the plastic ones! so i expect the pigeons can also tell the difference.

LoL

I have trobble with Red Kites!!

Dam things theres hundreds were I am half of them are not even taged. I was laying in the grass after a rabbit with the airgun once when sudenly a Great big red kite swoped out of no were and took a baby one. Dad dident belive it as they only take dead stuff but kids at school have seen them take mice.

I dont leave the gun in the hide

Unless im speaking to some one.

Speaking of owls...........we were leaning on a gate watching a wood,just before dark the other night..........& a Tawny Owl landed on the gate,not 2ft away from us.........he stayed there until one of us moved.Then twisted his head around,looked at us,& silently flew off.

While sitting in my hide one day, I was amazed to find that I had been joined by a weasel. I spilled my coffee as I jumped up. He ran away up the hedge, until I could get a cartridge in.......

I think he was interested in the pigeons the dog had retrieved.

This year i have been plagued by one female sparrow hawk who has got the knack of taking woodies, she flies allong the hedgerow on the outer side of the field and at the last minute flips over the hedge and piles into any woodies that are close to the hedge.A couple of times this year i have been watching a field with about 60 to 80 birds on it and she has flipped over the hedge and sent every bird away .I have not seen her catch anything but the piles of feathers stand testomony to her prowess.Another day i was decoying a field and some of the birds were dropping over the hedge to my left,if they were wounded i would give them another barrel to finish them off.During a quiet spell i heard squeaking comming from the hedge on my left ,just then i saw a family of stoats working up the hedgerow,tried to get a shot but the hedge was to thick they were there one minute gone the next when it came to picking up one bird that had dropped about a foot from the hedge had gone with a trail of feathers leading into the hedge.Now i know that bird was stone dead and it did't get up and walk its self ,so the only explenation i can give is that the stoats had it.

Out on bean stubble last year,just set up in hedge backing on to a railway line,when 4 horse riders parked up in the middle of my deacs.I left the hide to ask what the hell they were doing and they explained they were flushing the railway line to get any foxes out prior to a hunt coming through.They then whistled in their dogs and 3 came bursting through gaps in the hedge.The fourth came through the gap behind my hide and appeared with my unopened pack of sandwiches in his mouth,which he devoured to the amusement of the riders.As it turned out I had a great days shooting,picking up about 70 but I was bloody hungry by the time I got home. :evil: