discovery, terrano or shogun

zab10

Shogun for me. I have a Pajero, (Japanese shogun) shoguns are for the English market but same truck.

It will go anywhere and it`s got lots of gizmo's.

My nephew has just bought one because he`s had several goes in mine off road and he`s a big Land Rover fan.

He use to do Land Rover trials but he says its better than any Land Rover he`s ever driven.

The only draw back I must admit to is the fuel consumption on the 2800 tdi is awful at about 20/22 mpg.

Nephews V6 3000 does about 28/30 mph. But they do get a few cracked heads. He wishes he could of got a 2800 tdi.

a couple of my mates have terranos and i must admit i do like them . the 2.7 is supposed to be the engine used in black cabs so is very reliable . dont know anyone with a shogun so cant get advice there but do feel like the disco could be the one with the 300 tdi engine . my mates with the terranos are getting 30+to the gallon what could i expect with the disco

Pajero/Shogun, buy jap and dont spend half you time either taking you landy to the garage or trying to repair it yourself. . . as for build quality - when was the last time you saw a rusty Pajero/Shogun?? . . now when did you last see a rusty landy of the same age??

I wouldnt be to bothered about buying an import either , you get more extra`s on jap imports aircon, elec seats, mirrors, sunroof, heated windscreen etc. Basically you get more for your money and reliability too. Someone is going to say you struggle to get parts for imports , they have obviously not tried getting parts.

<_<

sold my pajero last year mate what a mistake,looked a loads of land rovers and i must say there not for me but OK if your good with a welder,the ones i did look at and i did look at a few all but one or two were rotten(boot floor/inner arches)just a few things to look out for

im now running a frontera not everybody's cup of tea but it gets me out there but if a pajero came up at the right price id jump at the chance of another, all the best with what ever you go for

Go for a jap import,better spec and get more for your money and reliability too.

My toy.

Niiiice motor!! :angry: I have one too, but mine is a UK spec one...Only thing with Jap Imports, which have the U.S. spec.. is insurance is more, and any recalls ( there have been a couple on the Challenger) aint done for free...if at all....My mate has a Jap import almost exactly the same as mine...tho his is a 2.8tdi, mine is the V6 petrol..and the recent recall for the Pitman Arm replacement passed him by...he had to pay to get his done.. :good:

Heres mine...boat aint mine tho, it belongs to a mate who tried to launch and recover with an X5...no danger there !!! So, I did it for him..:lol:

towingtheraiderb.jpg

The only reason the car is covered in mud, is because it at that time had "road" tyres fitted, got a new set of proper ones fitted after that..:yes:

Asstd-pics485.jpg

Edited by Norrie

My advice to you would be,broarden you search and buy a trooper/frontera,i know they not got fixed axle like landys,but then they will still get 99% of places landy will get and be better on road,for 3 grand you gonna get a lot more for your money and better reliability to boot.

I have had a Disco (02) and now have a SWB Shogun (96).

The Disco was an Auto and I was using it as my main car for business and shooting but they really arent good motorway cars. The door seals leak at motorway speeds and you get a draft all up your side.

I now have a Manual 1996 SWB Shogun that I only use for shooting and towing my boat. I bought a second little car for business and that works out a lot better.

I test drove the Terrano when I was looking for the Shogun and it was a close call. If you read the reviews the Shoguns suffer from transfer box problems and the Terranos suffer from gear box bearing problems. I preferred the look of the Shogun, the Terranos exterior is covered in cheap plastic that fades.

Whatever you chose - especially if it is a Disco get one with service history. Mungs Disco and MCs Disco are both over 130,000 mile cars but both have good service history.

Good luck mate :angry:

thanks for all the replies guys . by the sound of things i may need to broaden my search a bit but one thing is for sure i will be holding out for the best i can get for my money and not rushing into anything as i intend to keep what i buy for a while . cheers ian

wots all this land rover snubbery? :yes: lol

its would be a no brainer for me mate..disco anyday..same chassis and engine as defenders

how many shoguns, pajeros or terranos do you see at off road site..not many..discos on the other hand

fair enough the japs will be better on the motorway but the reason is they wernt primarily designed for off-road (ie higher gear ratios)

depends wot you want it for really.

Niiiice motor!! :yes: I have one too, but mine is a UK spec one...Only thing with Jap Imports, which have the U.S. spec.. is insurance is more, and any recalls ( there have been a couple on the Challenger) aint done for free...if at all....My mate has a Jap import almost exactly the same as mine...tho his is a 2.8tdi, mine is the V6 petrol..and the recent recall for the Pitman Arm replacement passed him by...he had to pay to get his done.. :yes:

Heres mine...boat aint mine tho, it belongs to a mate who tried to launch and recover with an X5...no danger there !!! So, I did it for him..:lol:

towingtheraiderb.jpg

The only reason the car is covered in mud, is because it at that time had "road" tyres fitted, got a new set of proper ones fitted after that..:lol:

Asstd-pics485.jpg

Dont know why your mate had to pay for pitman arm :lol: One email to mitsi and 7 days later an email was sent telling me to book my imported pajero into my nearest mitsubishi dealer for a free pitman arm replacement.

Imo stop looking if you find a decent pajero,stick some aggresive 31" tyres on it and enjoy.Parts are cheap(not that you will need many)and with even basic maintenance,serve you well.

Will it be used mainly as a car with the odd trip up a track or just as a shooting waggon?

I bought a terrano but only because it was £500 on a V plate and needed a few jobs, its perfect for me and getting better with the addition of mud terrain tyres etc. and its still quite comfortable on the 30 miles a day commute and does just about get 30MPG.

You do get a lot for your money with Jap stuff but if it was just for playing in then I would probably get a disco, just be careful as I have seen some really rotten ones whilst doing MOT's

Will it be used mainly as a car with the odd trip up a track or just as a shooting waggon?

It will be used manly as a car but will be used off road as i have joined a pheasant syndicate for next seasons shooting and will need it there for feeding the birds . i also do pest control for the MOD and just getting up the hill to the ground has been pretty much a no go this winter with a car but with a 4x4 i may be able to get a key for the gates for some lamping in the hills as i dont cover that much in a night on foot . plus camping trips with wife , kid and dogs through the summer

Shogun for me. I have a Pajero, (Japanese shogun) shoguns are for the English market but same truck.

It will go anywhere and it`s got lots of gizmo's.

My nephew has just bought one because he`s had several goes in mine off road and he`s a big Land Rover fan.

He use to do Land Rover trials but he says its better than any Land Rover he`s ever driven.

The only draw back I must admit to is the fuel consumption on the 2800 tdi is awful at about 20/22 mpg.

Nephews V6 3000 does about 28/30 mph. But they do get a few cracked heads. He wishes he could of got a 2800 tdi.

Hi Zab how's it going? You'll be surprised to learn that you also get shoguns across the border in Scotland. Now on my third one. Good all round. Keep a close eye on the imports as far as price of spares go.

Slainthe Mike...