Timing

ochre

I have just got my first permission in my own county and am absolutely delighted!! :D I can even shoot from the fields at the bottom of my garden. When would you say were the best times in the day to shoot and what conditions tend to be the most promising, in your humble opinions? Your sage words would be much appreciated.

Shooting what?

I like shooting early am and sometimes at dusk - but for crows and pigeons daytimes are often good.

If you want bunnies, hares and foxes early and late are best - but some foxes will be out all day if hungry. We are just entering the fox breeding season too. They will be skulking around at all sorts of odd times looking for a mate.

B

The answer is that old standby , "observation".

Watch your fields and see when the pigeons are feeding and check out the flightlines.

Eventually, you will build up knowledge of their behaviour, depending on the crops, the weather, time of year, etc.

Sometimes you can be lucky and just drop into a field and have a super day, but usually you have to invest some time.

• 3 weeks later...