The joys of pigeon shooting!

Tony

I can honestly say that I prefer crisp clear winter days to any other time of the year. I was out in the field on Saturday and felt at one with nature...just before I shot some of it!!! :(

I set up my hide and deks in a corner of a field before sunrise. My hide was in a deep hedgerow with plenty of cover and a wood to my left. There had been a heavy frost so everywhere was white and crispy. The sun came up to warm my face, a few deer strolled out of the wood through the field just behind my deks. The coffee was hot and my thermals were working! What more could you ask for. Even the pigeons started to flight straight into my pattern. Saturday was a fine day indeed. :)  :)

This is of course the complete opposite to rainy winter days when you are wet, cold, miserable, covered in mud, you realise you left your flask on the kitchen table, have forgotten what a pigeon looks like and end up muttering how much you hate pigeon shooting and you will be advertising all your kit in the Sporting Gun the following day!!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Anyone else get out Saturday? I opened up some of the birds crops and found only rape. A good sign that they have finished on the nuts and berries.

I particularly like late Summer/early Autumn shooting over the stubbles.

Sit back in the hide, sun on your face, bees buzzing and.............then realise you have just dozed off.   :*)

I don,t shoot weekends, but I went today.

The mild weather is here and the winds will increase this week.

I had a very good day and have submitted a report to William.

Two things of interest; the 32 birds I shot, had no berries in their crops and I didn,t use my rotary device as I forgot the battery. The birds came to "normal" decoys quite confidently.

Well Cranfield that report makes me feel alot better,  :(  :)  :)  I spent Sun P.M sat in my hide, with anything to show for it.

I spent most of Sat trying to locate the blasted birds, come Sunday I moved them off the field and into the trees, where they sat for 2.5 hrs making rude signs at me, then flew off.

I think the milder weather in our area today has brought them onto the feed.

Cranfield - did you use floaters today or just plain decoy's  ??

So we arrive at this rape field ERNYHA and me 9.30 am saturday , there had been a severe frost that night plus it was foggy. However we proceeded to set up shop with deeks and wirligig,saying when the sun gets up the fog will dissapear.Well time went by and after walking arround the field to see if any bird in the trees,gettng colder by the minute the sun refused to shine and the fog persisted,5 hours later freezing cold feet we desided to pack up. We got to the motor and lo aand behold the sun shon AND DOWN CAME THE PIGEONS. Utterly shattered we looked on in disgust.

WE LEFT THE FIELD OF SO CALLED BATTLE .SAYING

WE WILLRETURN_++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Guest flightline

daviddjlloyd,

Apart from the fog and this was Sundfay (see my post)(where were you by the way) it was the same for me, except they did not arrive at all tho I was there for 4 hours-sorry can`t match your 5-too cold to sit for s.d all apart from one crow.  :(

William, I "posted" it around 4.30pm today and I read the confirmation page, just to check it, so it must have registered somewhere.

I can,t think I did anything wrong. :)

Perhaps the reason you haven,t been getting many reports, is that they are disappearing into the atmosphere. :(

Let me know if it doesn,t appear.

I will re-do it. :)

On saturday, we had two goose shooting clients who wanted to stay on after a late breakfast and do some roost shooting for pigeons.

They got into the wood about 2.30 pm and finished just before dark.They fired just over 200 shots for 50 birds.

I checked the crops on 25% of the bag and found old grass seed, some being packed with it, a tiny bit of clover, and lots STUFFED with beechmast......no rape at all yet. :(