Quad Advice

scotsgun

Folks, i need your advice.

I've recently moved up from roe stalking to red deer. I dropped my first large Galloway red deer recently on the hill and it took me 6hrs to drag it off. I was absolutely ****'d.

So i need a quad but never having owning one, but i'm a bit confused:

1. I've been looking for decent un-knackered used example, but to me they all seem very, very expensive. How much do you think i'll have to pay to get something reliable, 4WD and that i can be confident in using for a couple of hours every fortnight or so?

2. Size - how large should i be looking at? If too large a bike and with a deer on the rack, will i be able to turn it back over if it overturns? I'm thinking something around the 350cc mark?

3. Make & model - everyone has an opinion, so what's yours? I just need something basic, 4WD and reliable - something that i can use to take off the occassional red deer; nothing fancy and nothing fast.

Thanks for any advice offered

Scotsgun

I you need something basic, forget electric shift, electric 2wd/4wd, tbh you dont really need a locking front diff unless your on some exteme terrian. I dont know how heavy a deer is but you might want a small trailer (in which case you dont want independant rear suspension)

Im gonna say Honda because they seem to keep going and they work and they dont have too much electric crapola

It might be an idea not to overturn it in the first place as a 200kg quad and a deer on top of you is going to hurt just a bit.

You get what you pay for so dont buy anything chinese becasue its cheap and comes well spec'd because they are ****, end of.

Honda 300 4x4

Honda 420 4x4

Honda 350 4x4

Honda Foreman S

Honda Foreman 500

Kawasaki 400 4x4

Alternativly some thing like a Kawasaki mule might be better, more £££ but 2 seats and cargo box at the back.

I you need something basic, forget electric shift, electric 2wd/4wd, tbh you dont really need a locking front diff unless your on some exteme terrian. I dont know how heavy a deer is but you might want a small trailer (in which case you dont want independant rear suspension)

Im gonna say Honda because they seem to keep going and they work and they dont have too much electric crapola

It might be an idea not to overturn it in the first place as a 200kg quad and a deer on top of you is going to hurt just a bit.

You get what you pay for so dont buy anything chinese becasue its cheap and comes well spec'd because they are ****, end of.

Honda 300 4x4

Honda 420 4x4

Honda 350 4x4

Honda Foreman S

Honda Foreman 500

Kawasaki 400 4x4

Alternativly some thing like a Kawasaki mule might be better, more £££ but 2 seats and cargo box at the back.

some very good advice there.

You'll have to pay a little more but Honda every time,

I currently use a forman 500 which is a great machine, but any Honda between 350 and 500 will be good enough for your requirements.

As has already been said don't turn it over, it can kill you. They can go over quite easy, trust me I learnt the hard way!!

Edited by Kudu

Honda all the way. Something around 350 with 4 wheel drive will move a red stag easy. I use a couple of short planks, which I carry on the back and a hand winch to pull the carcase onto the back with no problem. The 500's only come into their own if you tow heavy loads regularly.

Don't go down the Mule route, the servicing, repairs and parts costs are horrendous, I nearly die every time we get a bill and they won't go where a quad will.

With all the Honda votes - time to say Suzuki.

I have heard that Honda are the best but if buying s/h then it condition. I brought a S/H Suzuki Eiger 4x4 2 yrs ago - totally reliable, I use a Halfords trailer brought 1/2 price as it was a bit damaged + fitted bigger wheels. Really works well with loadsa wood, plus it keeps the centre of gravity low on sloping ground. :oops:

Why a quad at between 2k and 5k, would'nt a pony be better at 250 quid, if you got a mare you could breed it, instead of blowing cash you would be making it, not to mention weddings and village fates and panto hire and at the end you could sell it or even eat it, deep fried pony is something of a treat over the boarder I believe !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...