Air guns from the 70s-80s-90s

reaper6

first was a Daisy .22 air pistol back in 1990 (dad bought it for me after numerous badgerings, he eventually succumbed . it was crock. i never even managed to hit a target with it. i ended up swapping it for a .45 Gov. model bb pistol. (swapped it with a mate, he's still got the Daisy and he still ain't happy with the deal, i keep telling him his eyesights for crock*)happy days.

Edited by will8371

1st gun i ever shot was an old push down loader called a GAT. You see them now at some fair ground attractions with corks being shot off the end of the muzzle. But the 1st seriouse hunting gun i owned was a BSA SUPER STAR. I was 16 at the time and been begging my father to let me have a gun. I was gutted christmas day when i opened all my presents and there was no gun. My mother told me to go and make my bed. So i went up stairs rather disappointed, only to walk in to my bedroom and see the my new Bsa Super Star in all its glory laid out on it. Needles to say i was beaming and couldn't wait to get out in my back garden an starting putting some lead through her. Nealry 20yrs now since that christams day and iv up graded a little bit since then. But often when i sit down in some hedge i think about my Super Star and what success i had with her. Cant forget the good old days.

Edited by deputy dog

first gun i 'owned' was a gat rifle in 1987 (i was 11) brought from a lad at school, then my mum found it and went up the wall and disposed of it, so having learnt my lesson over the next couple of years i had (kept them well away from my mum and dad) various pistols ; webley tempest (dropped it in a canal) crossman 1322 (sold it last year) and a BSA scorpion pistol. eventually at the age of 15 my parents 'allowed' (!) me to get my first decent air rifle - its a webley excel .22 with a delux stock on (went over to the webley factory to chose it! (i grew up in birmingham). i still have this gun.. the scorpion took dozens of feral pigeons from underneath a very large motorway exchange in brum !! happy days.

Edited by pegasus bridge

ASI Apache .177 from 1981. Shot some starlings and sparrows with it on on my mates Dad's chicken farm. He had a Webley Osprey sidelever tap loader in .22. He had a few pigeons with that. I still have the Apache. I was shooting it the other day at some targets. Have one of the 10 Paul Bromley hand painted AA S310 Forester's now, which is in at the West London Shooting School for some TLC at the moment.

i still have an old bsa scorpion under the bed not been use for years going to get rid of, if any of you guys want it for some fun or if you collect old air guns its free to a good home

colin

I'd love it, if it's still for offer. Not that far from Bedford and could pick it up. I'll buy you some beers for it if you like?

Dave

I expect someone can go further back, but I started with a Webley (Mk.11?) .177 when I was about 12, so that would be in 1958, I guess. I was so ignorant that I had to be shown how to cock the gun. Great fun but early shooting career somewhat blighted by 1. killing one of my grandmother's hens - just aiming and shooting, far from point blank, didn't reckon on hitting it since it was a head shot, and 2. using the rifle to shoot away a small twig on which my fishing hook had snagged - only problem was that I missed the branch several times over and the pellets were then zappping around a neighbour's front door (this was up in Cumbria), which made him him rather angry (didn't take much - he had a short temper). Those were the days! I'm considerably more safety conscious now. Also - if anyone's interested, which may be doubtful - my first experience with a shot gun was to shoot my grandfather's very old hammer gun (he was dead and had left the gun and a few shells, Eley-Kinoch no.5s, easily accessible) when I was about 17 or 18, the point being that I had had zero instruction and the gun, as I now realise, was so loose in the action, top lever hardly functioning on closure, that it was all but lethal to the user. This gun had been given second-hand to my grandmother's father, as a wedding present, I believe, so that puts it back to the 1880s at least. The barrels were very worn and rusty. It was only a low grade Birmingham trade gun, retailed in Penrith. Again, I'm a good deal wiser now.

When I was 16 (more than 30 years ago!) My parent bought me an HW35. All my mates either had a meteor or a crossman pump, but the 35 just knocked the sock off them. Biggest mistake was selling it a few years later 'cause I was short of cash, doh! :rolleyes:

Started with a gat gun at about 5 years old then went to a 9mm shotgun then 410 then 12 bore. Then i got the airgun bug started out with an old Diana 177 the starlings used to laugh at us trying to shoot them, it bounced off them. Next up was a norica cant remember the type but it was my first real hunting air rifle and it accounted for many a rabbit.Then on to the big boys Airsporter what a killing machine that was.Cant remember the name of it but it was classed as the recoiless spring air rifle and it was KRAP took it back the next day and swapped it for a Webley Osprey worse gun i ever bought,was ok to start with THEN the spring broke THEN the loading tap halfed in two i threw it in a corner and left it, my mate is restoring it after lying in the loft for god nows how many years.HW 35 oh what a gun. HW 80 (wish i hadnt sold it) it was the dogs dangly bits. Sharp Inova this was a great little gun only draw back was the 8 pumps everytime you fired it, my m8s thought it was a toy till i showed them what it could do. All of these guns apart from the Diana were all 22, it wasnt till i seen my m8 out with his Original 50 177 and saw what it could do did i then switch over to the dark side and get my first 177. HW77 a classic cant fault it now after almost 20 years service, HW97 also in 177 a bit heavy but still a great gun. Switching over to a pcp this year, i've used the m8s and it reminds me of the little Sharp Inova i had with no recoil.

Still cant remember that gun anybody help, it was advertised in Airgun World at the time, early 80s i think.

Edited by shug

stole my brothers gat gun in 1984 he shot me with it when he found out ...very sore **** ... bought myself a relum tap loader at 14 then a bsa meteor then a second hand venom hw80 for £350 didnt realise at the time it was running at about 19ftlb till i got turfed out of the local gunshop after a chrono test stunning piece of kit lent it to a mate who broke the thumbhole stock i was trully gutted sold it at a boot sale for a 1 er next came the airarms tx200 hunter carbine with a simmons rangefinder which felt realy underpowered compared to the hw80 doh... couldnt get on with so was sold first pre charged was a webley fx2000 loved it sold it now got a s410 carbine with a 6x12x44 ir ags swat scope on it got a cabinet full of shot guns 3 12s and a410 newest being a beretta urika 2 in max 4 wetland but theres still nothing that gets my blood pumping like stalking rabbits with the s410 :lol::good::yes:

1st was a .22 BSA scorpion that i still have n a year later a paratrooper 177 (the break barrel with a tube on its back that you fill with pellets as a precurrser to the development of multi shots) it had the pellets in this tube against a spring so as you break it it is supposed to pick up a pellet as the block moves past..it was very odd with pistol grip n plastic wood ...tasteful it was not. so it was swapped for a vulcan in the school yard that had much of the barrel sawn off making it almost un cockable

after these epic failures of form n function i switched to crossbows for years.

A second hand BSA Mercury in 1979 followed by a new Sussex Armoury Jackal Hi Power in 1980

OMG my jackal how could i forget you! the Tupperware junior terrorists choice... it cocked like a rusty cemetery gate only noisier and with more effort but did you look the shizz (sadly only in your own estimations tho)

OMG my jackal how could i forget you! the Tupperware junior terrorists choice... it cocked like a rusty cemetery gate only noisier and with more effort but did you look the shizz (sadly only in your own estimations tho)

Especially when you used some of Sussex Armourys triple pistoned hunting pellets :welcomeani: