general builder wanted - essex area

chandelierman

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is all getting silly, yes builders need tools, no they don't need replacing after every job ok they need to be stored somewhere mostly in the back of a dodgy transit from most I know. Actually I've still got a mixer in my front garden my builders not been back for in the last 6 months should i be charging him storage for it?

Its all about how much the customer should pay towards his overheads, this thread is about trying to find a small guy who is looking for work to do a basic job. Its not rocket science what is being asked for in this case, with no requirement to deal with building regs etc. Just a basic job on a glorified shed.

You don't get it do you? Just because he doesn't need to use his digger or any other tool on your job doesn't mean he still doesn't have to pay for them. If he has them on a credit deal etc everyjob goes towards paying for them.

so the customer that doesn't need a digger gets hit price wise rather than him just hiring a digger when a job requires it and charging it to the customer who needs it <_<

You don't get it do you? Just because he doesn't need to use his digger or any other tool on your job doesn't mean he still doesn't have to pay for them. If he has them on a credit deal etc everyjob goes towards paying for them.

I haven't slated you for offering anybody any work and never would but please, don't patronise the building industry and the people who work hard for it by thinking you know everything about it and their needs. Thinking a tradesman can happily use a cheap trowel instead of a well used and trusted one is just daft!

Imagine how much harder your own job would be if you had to use cheap alternatives.

Are you not listening to me! this work is on my brick built workshop which is in the middle of nowhere / none of the work will ever be seen so who cares is the mortar between the bricks ain't exactly perfect

Ok,

Here come the flames,

1, A builder may not need premises to do your one job but unless you are going to employ him for the rest of his life then chances are he will do other work.

what has him working for others got to do with me? to do my job he needs no other premise. So if someone asked you to do a job in their house would you still need a workshop?

2, Normally yes they do use generators or diesel powered cement mixers. Do you declare all cash? I am guessing that you don't if you are able to pay for these works cash. If my business was having work done I would want a receipt to claim it all back.

i have got a cement mixer already - i don't delare any cash - UNFORTUNATELY FOR ME I DON'T GET ANY and FOR YOUR INFORMATION ( NOT THATS ITS ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS ) I have borrowed money from the bank to buy the workshop and do the work on it. It is irrelevant where the money comes from, it is a business expense isn't it?

3, How do you know what tools are needed? And if the builders are there on site and you haven't got something then THEY still get paid.

I have listed what jobs need doing so they should know what to bring! IF NOT first job will to be brick the windows - i will supply trowels / bubble / shovel / club hammer / bolster -2nd job will be the block work which uses the same tools - 3rd job roofing / i have numerous saws inc power flip saw / mitre saw i have plumbing tools Would you go and do a job with someone elses tools? Because I wouldn't certainly not when they have been bought from Boot Sales

4, Are you the only person in the world that does what you do? If not then neither do you.

I NEVER CLAIMED TO BE THE ONLY CHANDERLIER MANUFACTURER IN THE WORLD - ALTHOUGH I AM REGARDED AS ONE OF THE BEST yes.gif There are very good builder around as well you know? Pity you can't spell CHANDELIER if you are that good at making them

5, So are most builders which is why you are trying to find one on a shooting forum.

As previous quoted by myself,i thought i'd offer a bit of extra work on here / i have not advertised this elsewhere Well actually yes you have as you said earlier your mates were going to come back with a price

6, I will refer you back to point 6, if they are there and the materials aren't they still get paid. Not many builders would take on a fixed price and rely on someone else getting the materials.

err! don't you mean refer back to point 3? i am not as stupid as you might think,i will supply all the materials for each job in turn. Yes I did mean point 3, and know you are not as stupid as you look you are even more so if you believe that a job like this can be done with a cement mixer and a trowel

OH NO! i think your fire has just gone out good.gif Fan those flames Baby, this ones going in

Anyhow as no one has stepped up for the job i don't see what relevance these replys have to do with my original post.

I asked if there were any general builders on here in ESSEX that wanted to do 20 days work for £100 a day,a bit simple really just a YES or NO would suffice,no need for a 6 page debate about it.

The six page debate has come about as because you make CHANDELIERS and consider yourself to be the best and you consider all builders to be thick and not worthy of earning the same money as you.

this is all getting silly, yes builders need tools, no they don't need replacing after every job ok they need to be stored somewhere mostly in the back of a dodgy transit from most I know. Actually I've still got a mixer in my front garden my builders not been back for in the last 6 months should i be charging him storage for it?

Its all about how much the customer should pay towards his overheads, this thread is about trying to find a small guy who is looking for work to do a basic job. Its not rocket science what is being asked for in this case, with no requirement to deal with building regs etc. Just a basic job on a glorified shed.

Oi! steady on! it ain't a glorified shed...its my lovely new workshop <_<

so the customer that doesn't need a digger gets hit price wise rather than him just hiring a digger when a job requires it and charging it to the customer who needs it <_<

Do any of your customers need you to have lights on in your office? I bet your overheads still cover the eletric bills?

Really,

I thought somewhere there was mention of moving a toilet?

Building regs cover quite a lot you know, including brick and blockwork

Edited by MC

al4x think you will find main dealers for cars will charge a set hourly rate regardless of how much of there equipment they use

As does any business,

Al4x is only arguing for arguings sake.

Alex, the builders I know buy their gear rather than hiring it, so in a way then yes, they do also get a percentage of those costs added on. It's normally just added direct into their 'overhead' costs rather than being broken down into individual charges.

Are you not listening to me! this work is on my brick built workshop which is in the middle of nowhere / none of the work will ever be seen so who cares is the mortar between the bricks ain't exactly perfect

I have been listening fella as has everybody else. Especially the point you made earlier about 'if the work is no good then you won't get paid' comment then your above post now about it doesn't matter if the mortar isn't right. Make your mind up.

I notice also you only pick out the points people are making that suit you rather than replying to the questions people have asked you in return. For example, would you be happy to work with customer supplied cheap tools? I know I wouldn't and probably couldn't in my trade.

Ok,

Here come the flames,

1, A builder may not need premises to do your one job but unless you are going to employ him for the rest of his life then chances are he will do other work.

what has him working for others got to do with me? to do my job he needs no other premise. So if someone asked you to do a job in their house would you still need a workshop?

NO I WOULDN'T NEED A WORKSHOP TO DO A JOB IN SOMEONES HOUSE

2, Normally yes they do use generators or diesel powered cement mixers. Do you declare all cash? I am guessing that you don't if you are able to pay for these works cash. If my business was having work done I would want a receipt to claim it all back.

i have got a cement mixer already - i don't delare any cash - UNFORTUNATELY FOR ME I DON'T GET ANY and FOR YOUR INFORMATION ( NOT THATS ITS ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS ) I have borrowed money from the bank to buy the workshop and do the work on it. It is irrelevant where the money comes from, it is a business expense isn't it?

YOU ASKED HOW I COULD AFFORD TO PAY CASH FOR THE WORK / AS IF TO SAY I WAS PAYING THROUGH DOING CASH DEALS AND NOT DECLARING IT

3, How do you know what tools are needed? And if the builders are there on site and you haven't got something then THEY still get paid.

I have listed what jobs need doing so they should know what to bring! IF NOT first job will to be brick the windows - i will supply trowels / bubble / shovel / club hammer / bolster -2nd job will be the block work which uses the same tools - 3rd job roofing / i have numerous saws inc power flip saw / mitre saw i have plumbing tools Would you go and do a job with someone elses tools? Because I wouldn't certainly not when they have been bought from Boot Sales

AS I SAID,I HAVE LISTED THE JOBS THAT NEED DOING,IF YOU WANT TO BRING YOUR OWN TROWELS THEN DO SO IF NOT THEN I'LL SUPPLY THEM FROM THE £1 SHOP

4, Are you the only person in the world that does what you do? If not then neither do you.

I NEVER CLAIMED TO BE THE ONLY CHANDERLIER MANUFACTURER IN THE WORLD - ALTHOUGH I AM REGARDED AS ONE OF THE BEST yes.gif There are very good builder around as well you know? Pity you can't spell CHANDELIER if you are that good at making them

DON'T BE PERDANTIC / CHANDELIER - CHANDERLIER - A TYPING ERROR

5, So are most builders which is why you are trying to find one on a shooting forum.

As previous quoted by myself,i thought i'd offer a bit of extra work on here / i have not advertised this elsewhere Well actually yes you have as you said earlier your mates were going to come back with a price

I SAID THAT WE HAD ALREADY WORKED OUT A PRICE/TIME SCALE

6, I will refer you back to point 6, if they are there and the materials aren't they still get paid. Not many builders would take on a fixed price and rely on someone else getting the materials.

err! don't you mean refer back to point 3? i am not as stupid as you might think,i will supply all the materials for each job in turn. Yes I did mean point 3, and know you are not as stupid as you look you are even more so if you believe that a job like this can be done with a cement mixer and a trowel

OH NO! i think your fire has just gone out good.gif Fan those flames Baby, this ones going in

Anyhow as no one has stepped up for the job i don't see what relevance these replys have to do with my original post.

I asked if there were any general builders on here in ESSEX that wanted to do 20 days work for £100 a day,a bit simple really just a YES or NO would suffice,no need for a 6 page debate about it.

The six page debate has come about as because you make CHANDELIERS and consider yourself to be the best and you consider all builders to be thick and not worthy of earning the same money as you.

NOT AT ALL,I NEVER EVEN MENTIONED WHAT I EARN UNTILL HALFWAY THROUGH THIS DISCUSSION - I AM CONSIDERED TO BE ONE OF THE BEST BY OTHERS NOT BY MYSELF.

Is that smouldering i smell or has the fire gone right out <_<

Edited by chandelierman

Really,

I thought somewhere there was mention of moving a toilet?

Building regs cover quite a lot you know, including brick and blockwork

No the toilet is not being moved,it has an old high level cistern and an old pan,i want this replaced with a low level one.

NOT AT ALL,I NEVER EVEN MENTIONED WHAT I EARN UNTILL HALFWAY THROUGH THIS DISCUSSION - I AM CONSIDERED TO BE ONE OF THE BEST BY OTHERS NOT BY MYSELF.

Is that smouldering a smell or has the fire gone right out <_<

so you don't consider yourself one of the best then / wont bother coming to you then :P

come on keep em coming! i'm just getting warmed up...............ITS GOOD TO TALK <_<

You are quite right it is good to talk, However I was always told not to argue with an idiot as they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I Take Perverse Pleasure In Winding People Up

Read true personal stories, chat & get advice, support and help from a group of 3 people who all say 'I Take Perverse Pleasure In Winding People Up'

heres a web site for you mate pm me and i will give you the link there is a phone number on there so you can get some help

Do any of your customers need you to have lights on in your office? I bet your overheads still cover the eletric bills?

gawd this all started because he wanted a sole trader / builder to do work on a workshop. Yes the money was on the lower end of things but as Starlight pointed out there are people to work for that these days. I've had a builder on my house for pretty much all of last year and did that in a similar way ok paid £140 a day tools included however since mine my guy is on the phone regularly trying to sniff out work, only did a weeks worth in January and was scratching arround in February so would probably have taken the money and done it, and done it well. Tools he had shed he had to pay to store his gear in whether he was working or not. After all this could be weekend work to top up a day job and that is why the Polish etc have done so well over here they want to work rather than argue the toss money wise all day. Whats impressive is how many builders / tradesmen are on here during the day commenting on it which says it all to me.

You are quite right it is good to talk, However I was always told not to argue with an idiot as they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

you must be refering to someone else there then because you have been arguing with me for ages.

well as said before ,i think his comments on builders is the issue here and as to me being at home i would rather be at work but having a operation to remove a cancerous lump last week im afaid i cant be / or is it im just lazy <_< and charge to much :P

Whats impressive is how many builders / tradesmen are on here during the day commenting on it which says it all to me.

I'll exempt myself from that comment due to not being able to work due to a foot injury. We have more work than you can shake a stick at and appreciate it all. We do the best possible work we can, using the best tools we have and charge as we see fair. An honest days pay for an honest days wage. :P

I can't wait to be back to be honest. Sat at home all day unable to do anything sends you crazy! <_<