Taster for the weekend ?

Cranfield

I went today, bright blue skies, sunshine and very little wind.

I walked about 100 birds off a 23 acre rape field, set up about 30 decoys and my rotary, withdrew to my perfectly constructed hide and waited.....and waited...and waited.

I never saw a bird (any bird) for almost 3 hours.

Then a lone crow flew over and I shot it.

Nothing else appeared and I packed up, having spent 6 wasted hours.

I had a drive round and found some pigeons on another rape field (not mine) and a large horse field (not mine ,either).

I,m sure it had a lot to do with the weather.

Around here, its staying this way for the rest of the weekend.

Glad I,m not shooting again until next week.  :(  :)

Went out today blue skies no wind Met the farmers daughter on the way up to the farm house she said go and see the farm foreman because we have had a lot of pigeons about lately. went and saw the foreman and he pointed them out to me - Approx 50 mixed birds feeding near the farm house on a rape field

tried to decoy them  away from the house but without success. Think i will take an air rifle next time :(  :*)

Local farmer rang last night to say he planted 2 acres of peas on Friday - testing to see if they develop successfully although he's planted them early.  The soil here is very chalky and drains well, and the weather has been moderatly spring like for the last few years.  He hopes to bring his planting forwards next year if his project works, so he can cash in on the early market.

Might have to have a few days off next week  :)  :)  :(

The "horse field" terminology may be a local thing.:)

"Horse fields" are always perfectly flat, with short cropped grass.

As opposed to "cow fields" which can be all bumpy,with rough grass, weeds etc.

The new clover shows on the horse fields first, thats the attraction to the pigeons.

Pieman, 2 acres of early sown peas, that sounds like heaven to me.  :(

Wouldn't you rather share it with my wife? :)

Is there something you want to tell us Lazza mate  :D  :D  :)

It was Cranfield that makes me take her!  I read in an old post that he said taking birds with you helps bring in the pigeons......Mind you, he might have been referring to deaduns for the magnet  :(  :D  :D

Still, she fell for it so no worries   :evil:  :evil:

:*) Against my better judgement, Lloydy is dragging me out shooting in the morning.I am firmly of the opinion and in agreement with Cranfield on this one and that is when high pressure is dominating the weather giving light wind,clear sky and sun, then the pigeons do not want to know.

He went to one of our farms this morning on other business and reported back that the pigeons were pouring into the rape and taking no notice of the gas guns going off in the fields.

They are probably that hungry after the flight up from Luton that they are not obeying the weather rules. Anyway,I have charged the batteries,taken birds out of the freezer and preparing to go and get cold in the morning.

Watch this space tomorrow night for the results. :)  :(

Guest flightline
I went today, bright blue skies, sunshine and very little wind.

I walked about 100 birds off a 23 acre rape field, set up about 30 decoys and my rotary, withdrew to my perfectly constructed hide and waited.....and waited...and waited.

I never saw a bird (any bird) for almost 3 hours.

Then a lone crow flew over and I shot it.

Nothing else appeared and I packed up, having spent 6 wasted hours.

I had a drive round and found some pigeons on another rape field (not mine) and a large horse field (not mine ,either).

I,m sure it had a lot to do with the weather.

Around here, its staying this way for the rest of the weekend.

Glad I,m not shooting again until next week.  :(  :)

Sounds like me most days Cranfield, except I miss the crow! :)

I went out today expecting the same as you lot. So I only to 2 boxes of cartridges, to my disgust had to walk back to the car for another 3 boxes. Went home with 4 cartridges and sixty pigeons. I suppose it was worth it I wonder if tomorrow will be as good . Hope so.

Happy hunting

John

Went out at first light yesterday.  Shot a stubble field on a flightline. Only expected to get 10 if I was lucky.  Put out a dozen dead birds and 20 plastics.  I put 1 lofter right out of the top of a sycamore tree.  The pigeons wouldnt't look at the decoy spread while it was white over with frost, but they pulled like mad to the lofter and in the first hour and a half I shot 20 and in a further 2 hours only three more. Considering the lack of wind I was amazed at how low they flew early on.  I get the impression they were starving hungry due to the cold.