Pigeons on the setaside

NGhost

I don't know what its like round your parts (oo er misses) but the pigeons on our shoot seem to have been feeding on the large bands of setaside that a lot of farmers have gone for this year and have largley left the rape alone.

No problem for me as the setaside is easier to decoy on.

Any one else noticed this?

Not shot a pigeon on rape in Lancashire for years.  Over the past five years the majority of the pigeons I've shot have been on uncut wheat fields, stubbles under flightlines and on grazed fields with clover.  

Since January 1st I've shot 500 in 8 trips on a wheat stubble near to an uncut wheat field.  Its far easier shooting than chasing them round rape fields.

This winter I have shot no more than 10 birds containing rape.  Fortunately there are very few rape fields in my neck of the woods these days.

Down here in Hampshire the pigeon have been hitting the rape hard during the cold spells, I have had some good days on rape this winter.

The pigeon have only just started switching over to outher

food souces now such as = clover, chick weed, field pansy ect, I was watching a field today witch is a permant pasture and the pigeon were pouring in, I hope that they will be there still for saturday!  

Buzzer