Black people shooting

Shuck.

Don't see many black people on the clays.. well none actually, is it the same everywhere in the UK?

Seen all shapes and sizes but no black peeps, why not?

Are any of you.. y'know. black?

I'm pretty sure Babby is.... anyone else?

EDIT: is this thread unacceptable :blush:

Edited by Shuck.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep. their are a few about. some good lads too :oops::hmm:

I've met a couple of black clay shooters :blush:

One in particular is a bit of a hot shot, does coaching too.

Lots of Asian clay shooters in the North West :lol:

It's good to hear but it really doesn't sound like many.. from the impression I get from you lad's posts on the forum you're both quite well established shooters and been to shoots all around the country.. but only seen a few black shooters ?? :yp:

Why do you think there's so few about, I've seen about 95% white maybe 5% Asian.

Edited by Shuck.

It's good to hear but it really doesn't sound like many.. from the impression I get from you lad's posts on the forum you're both quite well established shooters and been to shoots all around the country.. but only seen a few black shooters ?? :blush:

Why do you think there's so few about, I've seen about 90% white maybe 5% Asian.

I agree, they're very thin on the ground, but I don't know why. :oops:

It's like fishing. Now I've been sea fishing since I was about 14, over 40 years and I can definitely say I've NEVER seen a black angler (in the UK).

I also used to watch birds of prey a lot, all over the place. Unfortunately, this brought me into contact with herds of twitchers, as they tend to frequent the same areas. Never spotted a single black twitcher :lol: :yp: :o

Maybe having hobbies is a white thing, don't know why though :hmm:

Maybe having hobbies is a white thing, don't know why though :blush:

You get black clayshooters everywhere in the US, I'm led to believe.

Shooting (in Britain) has always been much a white sport, maybe its because of the black/white relationship in this country :oops:

I'm thinking this because in the US there's a lot less racial tension. :hmm:

We need to find one and ask them :lol:

P.S. what's a twitcher?

Edited by Shuck.

I clas myself as mixed race, half black(Belizean) and half white(English), although most would class me as black if they met me. I shoot clays predominantly in Surrey and have only seen one shooter I would class as black and maybe a few others I would class as mixed race or ethnic minority. There is no real reason for it from my experience. I certtainly have been welcomed with open arms where I shoot. Perhaps country sports in general is still looked at as an Englishmans sport by many? I don't know.

You get black clayshooters everywhere in the US, I'm led to believe.

Shooting (in Britain) has always been much a white sport, maybe its because of the black/white relationship in this country :blush:

I'm thinking this because in the US there's a lot less racial tension. :oops:

We need to find one and ask them :lol:

P.S. what's a twitcher?

Twitchers are obsessive birdwatchers :yp:

The Asian/white relationships aren't always great in the North West (generally speaking) but you do see Asian guys on the clays.

Also fishing can be a solitary hobby, if you don't want to mix with a bunch of snowflake honkeys :o :P:lol: but they don't seem to be interested. :hmm:

Edited by Chard

I clas myself as mixed race, half black(Belizean) and half white(English), although most would class me as black if they met me. I shoot clays predominantly in Surrey and have only seen one shooter I would class as black and maybe a few others I would class as mixed race or ethnic minority. There is no real reason for it from my experience. I certtainly have been welcomed with open arms where I shoot. Perhaps country sports in general is still looked at as an Englishmans sport by many? I don't know.

How did you get into shooting, did a white friend introduce you to shooting in Britain or you just popped down yourself?

It's a strange subject ain't it :blush:

I've always wanted to shoot from a young age and have always been drawn to target sport being Archery, shooting etc. I started shooting hanguns at the Mayfair gun club back in 1995 an when they were banned stopped shooting till a few years ago thinking all guns would eventually be banned. I am one of those people who will get an interest and go out and do it regrdless. On my own if necessary.

I have many friends interested in shooting, but none willing to commit to joining a club or committing to buying equipment etc.

My interest has grown and i have met some really nice helpful people on the way, one of which got me into hunting. So I am grateful to all you helpful people out there!!

I've seen one or two over the years, and a few Saudis.

ZB

How long have you been shooting clays?

It would be healthy for the sport if we had a few more..

I think it might just be our culture, I'm sure black parents are a lot more strict about firearms and shooting might be a taboo in the black community :blush:

A few of my black mates were never allowed bb guns as kids or teenagers!

Edited by Shuck.

I've always wanted to shoot from a young age and have always been drawn to target sport being Archery, shooting etc. I started shooting hanguns at the Mayfair gun club back in 1995 an when they were banned stopped shooting till a few years ago thinking all guns would eventually be banned. I am one of those people who will get an interest and go out and do it regrdless. On my own if necessary.

I have many friends interested in shooting, but none willing to commit to joining a club or committing to buying equipment etc.

My interest has grown and i have met some really nice helpful people on the way, one of which got me into hunting. So I am grateful to all you helpful people out there!!

It's good to hear you got yourself into it and didn't feel too intimidated going into a majorly white sport, I once invited a black mate to a round of clays, he asked me how many black people would be there and wasn't too keen.. he's not racist I can see how it would be slightly uncomfortable especially if you went it on your own..

I say BLAME THE PARENTS :blush:

Seriously though, I think it is probably more to do with background, social values and upbringing rather than a anything to do with colour, race or feeling that they would be unwelcome. A bit like skiing, very rare to see anything other than caucasion on the slopes in europe. A little different in the states but still proportionately a very low number of non whites. It probably boils down to cultural diffences, doesn't matter how many generations of ancestors lived in the UK before you, you will still be influenced by the passtimes and persuits of your forefathers and cultural origin. Country sports are indigenously British (probably English to be more precise) and were not really mirrored anywhere else in the world until relatively recently so it is probably a lack of interest, exposure and knowledge.

Edited by Vipa

Don't see many black people on the clays.. well none actually, is it the same everywhere in the UK?

Seen all shapes and sizes but no black peeps, why not?

Are any of you.. y'know. black?

I'm pretty sure Babby is.... anyone else?

EDIT: is this thread unacceptable :oops:

yo brotha, i isnt black, aight? yo honkys neednt be dissin me, when eva yo see me rollin, you got no need to be hatin my shizzle! :hmm:

ive never seen a black shooter myself (tv footage of somalia not included), dont know why. though considering ive only ever seen two black people in my town in my whole life (and one was american) it might go some way to explaining it :blush: