Black people shooting

Shuck.

In the 1980's there was a school in manchester called William Hulme that had an OTC I think they included shooting as part of their training and I am sure the High school in Dundee do too. Both are effectivley inner city schools thought I think they are also minor Public Schools.

Edited by alexr

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a surprise to me, I thought the powers that be were against shooting all together so I'd have thought shooting would never be allowed in the curriculum :good:

I wish I had the choice of smallbore when I was in school instead of PE ..or RE

Im sat here at work with a big black dude called Max(from Zimbabwe), so i asked him why blacks dont shoot, he genuinley doesnt know, he has been lamping with me and wants to try clays.

The fishing side he had an answer for, he thinks that its cruel to catch a fish if youre not going to eat it.....and we agreed to disagree on that one!!

He asked me to ask you lot why in the Uk dont white people play basketball?:)? :good::)

i got one of my black mates clay shooting and he is also a very good fisherman. and the asian lad from the post office also go's now as he noticed my recorded delivery notification's to the fire arm's department and asked me to get him a group booking on a clay range

Alexr, I shot at the William Hulme range when I was a Sea Scout to get my marksmanship badge (this was a very long time ago!) Very nice set up, in the cellars I seem to remember. Don't know if it is still there though.

We have a couple of black lads shooting at our clay club occasionally, it does turn some heads when they arrive because it is unusual (and I suspect some of the old country boys have never seen one in the flesh before :rolleyes: ) but as with everyone else they are made very welcome. I've never figured out why the minorities are such a rarity, it does seem to be a very white thing. I suppose most shooters are from rural areas where the majority of residents are W.A.S. and it is simple demographics. Maybe if we do a bit of PR we can get the numbers up? As has been said, it can only help the image of the sport. And if that works perhaps we could invite some ladies to give it a try? :sly:

I can't believe someone got the hump over the word black. No-one has said anything remotely racist yet some poor sensitive soul is taking the hump. Anyway, you have to call them African Americans. Even if they're from Jamaica. And English

I have a mate who scuba dives who happens to be brown. Not many brownies do that either. I'll see if he wants to come clays, but knowing him he'll just chat up the receptionist all day. Bloody brown men taking all our women :rolleyes:

BTW, that last bit is what I say to him all the time. It's ok to have a laugh about things. I even ask my muslite friend and his brothers if their sister would get pride killed if I kissed her. She's hot but I like taking the piece. They have been clay shooting but with game/pigeons etc, they can't eat it. They did say their grandad used to hawk before he moved here.

I can't believe someone got the hump over the word black. No-one has said anything remotely racist yet some poor sensitive soul is taking the hump. Anyway, you have to call them African Americans. Even if they're from Jamaica. And English

I have a mate who scuba dives who happens to be brown. Not many brownies do that either. I'll see if he wants to come clays, but knowing him he'll just chat up the receptionist all day. Bloody brown men taking all our women :lol:

BTW, that last bit is what I say to him all the time. It's ok to have a laugh about things. I even ask my muslite friend and his brothers if their sister would get pride killed if I kissed her. She's hot but I like taking the piece. They have been clay shooting but with game/pigeons etc, they can't eat it. They did say their grandad used to hawk before he moved here.

To be honest Wes, nobody specifically got uptight because of the word black, I was being facetious :P

However, it is clear that there are wallflowers/PC freaks who are uncomfortable that there is even a discussion going on about race. We are supposed to follow the lead from our illustrious politicos and the daahlings of the liberal elite, and pretend that there are no issues at all concerning race. God forbid that anybody could think that there are any DIFFERENCES between races, that is a view that cannot be aired.

So, after 3..... "we're all the saaaaaaaaaame", "we all have that divine spark" :lol:

A black mate told me once that, no disrespect meant, he was NOT like me and didn't want to be :lol::rolleyes:

I'm surprised he wasn't cautioned by the daahlings :P

It is my view that mature people should be able to have a discussion like this without squirming in our seats and apologising for being "offensive"

Hey-ho, we're all different :o :o :o No we're not :beer: we're all the saaaaaaame, I forgot :sly:

I clas myself as mixed race, half black(Belizean) and half white(English), although most would class me as black if they met me. I shoot clays predominantly in Surrey and have only seen one shooter I would class as black and maybe a few others I would class as mixed race or ethnic minority. There is no real reason for it from my experience. I certtainly have been welcomed with open arms where I shoot. Perhaps country sports in general is still looked at as an Englishmans sport by many? I don't know.
I presume probably wrongly,that you shoot at the Star?I have seen a few shooters of varying race there,but never gave it a thought.

:rolleyes::sly: Why are there so few black olympic swimmers?Some of the Carribean lobster fishermen spend a large part of the day swimming :beer::lol:

I presume probably wrongly,that you shoot at the Star?I have seen a few shooters of varying race there,but never gave it a thought.

:rolleyes::sly:Why are there so few black olympic swimmers?Some of the Carribean lobster fishermen spend a large part of the day swimming :beer::lol:

its to do with bone mineral density. black guys have denser bones, hence they sink (not literaly). Strange, but true.

if this comes across as racist i appologies its really not meant to, but as mentioned before i think it down to culture i was brought up in a village but hung around in a city so have seen to some extent both sides of the coin i have had many black friends who were good decent lads but generally a lot of the black lads end up more intrested in hip-hop music and culture (smoking weed, hanging out in gangs) than getting a hobby that took them out into the sticks and fresh air and the only guns there intrested in are handguns or ak's.

if this comes across as racist i appologies its really not meant to, but as mentioned before i think it down to culture i was brought up in a village but hung around in a city so have seen to some extent both sides of the coin i have had many black friends who were good decent lads but generally a lot of the black lads end up more intrested in hip-hop music and culture (smoking weed, hanging out in gangs) than getting a hobby that took them out into the sticks and fresh air and the only guns there intrested in are handguns or ak's.

Yes, I think you might be a bit near the wood with that one, laaaaaaaaaa :rolleyes::beer::sly:

I know quite a few black and Asian people that shoot, mainly game and rough shooting, but some clays as well.

Where you are brought up must be a major influence in early years on your interests, whatever colour/race you are.

I know a lot of adult white townies that don't shoot and couldn't tell the difference between a pheasant and a partridge.

There are certainly a lot of white townie youths that are "more intrested in hip-hop music and culture (smoking weed, hanging out in gangs) than getting a hobby that took them out into the sticks and fresh air and the only guns there intrested in are handguns or ak's."

its to do with bone mineral density. black guys have denser bones, hence they sink (not literaly). Strange, but true.

I second that. I'm not saying all black people can't swim, but from what I've been told, it's slightly harder due to bone density, so they require more energy to stay buoyant.

Back to topic, I too have not seen many black shooters. Which is also the case for Skiing, which slightly miffs me.

It is rare, though there are a couple of Sikh chaps from a local retreat having lessons @ Barby Sporting near Rugby. Is shooting still one of those almost completely 'English' things? Actually I think it probably is, I notice that just about everyone still wears shades of green....so traditional.

Sorry to go a little off topic, but it is related on the subject of rare things in shooting.

Anyone ever seen a Southerner who can shoot well, I once saw one at a game fair who was quite a tidy shot, an Essex girl I believe.

But it's very rare.....anyone on here ever seen a "good" shot from the South ? <_<

Bloody brown men taking all our women

Now black people do take offence to being called brown, i have had arguements with my black mates here that they are brown, i have even drawn on them with black marker pens and said "see!!! if you were black, you wouldnt be able to see that!!!"

They especially get annoyed at being called coloured, blacks regards coloureds as being mixed race, what we call half cast.

I just see them as people regardless of the colour of their skin.............

BUT northerners...........well theres a different species all together...................