"aiming"

Magpies are gay

I under stand when shooting shot gun, its better to shoot with both eyes open so you dont loose sight of the target....so does this mean that the bird or clay is meant to be underneath the ball at the end of the barrels?? and you eye inline down the barrels aswell???

Any help would be good cheers!

It depends on the type of gun MAG. Most clay guns shoot low i.e. you see the target just above the bead. Whereas other guns you might need to block out the target.

As for the eye then I guess it's down to each individual but I would say yes - I need to mount properly and have my right eye looking straight down the rib or I'll miss.

Some people don't open both eyes but I reckon most would find this difficult. As with everything it's practice, practice, practice..........

Piebob

I close my left eye, I always have done and its an impossible habit for me to break.

When shooting I am not aware of the "sight" at the end of the barrel.

However, with regard to sighting, on a crossing bird, I swing the barrel through the bird and the "sight" would be the required lead in front, when I fired.

For dropping birds its the same, but below.

For rising birds, or going away birds, its above.

I have fired lots of different guns, some of which are reputed to fire low, or high, but I have never made any adjustments to the method mentioned above.

Whilst being a long way from being a crack shot, I tend to hit more than I miss.

Hi i'm new to this as well, also having the same probs with aim. Been out twice with but no joy although the weathers been **** the last few day's and not been much flying in the way of pigeons etc.

I have the same problem with eye closing as i also shoot air rifle just can't break the habit of squinting, how the hell do you look down the barrel with both eyes open...aargh :*) .Anyhow will keep trying and wasting carts until i get it right. Tried the clay shooting last week for the first time seeing as though i was off work the weekend hit a few but missed more. Would like another go but i work every weekend so i'm affraid its gonna habe to be the lond hard way of try & try again, will get there in the end..... B) :lol::lol::) what about wabbit whats the best way of lining them up on the deck aim directly at ,above or below....

Why is it that people use sporting equipment and especially (on this forum) GUNS without knowing much about shooting them. Getting it wrong can be lethal!

If you enjoy your sport and want to make the most of it go get some tuition from someone who knows (not your mate, not your dad) but someone who gets paid to do it right. Spend a bit of time, money and effort and you'll enjoy the game so much more.

I have the same problem with eye closing as i also shoot air rifle just can't break the habit of squinting, how the hell do you look down the barrel with both eyes open...aargh :*) .

Ever played Snooker or Pool with 1 eye closed B) Naturally both eyes are open and you only see 1 cue ,and this is coming from someone who shoots right handed with a Left master eye .

To judge a moving target i'd say try to keep both eyes open as you don't need to shut one normally when pointing your finger at a moving object. :lol:

CONCENTRATION together with practice and plenty of it . :)

Ive

PS .......See how difficult you make it to catch a ball that has been thrown to you with one eye shut :lol:

I think most people who starting shooting with rifles find it hard adjust to shotgun shooting afterwards as they always close the disengaged eye. I always close my left eye but am trying hard to correct it at the moment. There was a good article in Novembers issue of Sporting Shooter on the subject of eye dominance and how to work out your dominant eye etc.... going to a shooting ground and spending a couple of hundred quid on tuition fees would be a good way of correcting this. However if you don't have the cash there is nothing wrong with getting advice from someone who has a lot of shooting experience, get advice from the shop where you bought the gun, its always a good place to start.

Why is it that people use sporting equipment and especially (on this forum) GUNS without knowing much about shooting them. Getting it wrong can be lethal!

Its difficult to disagree with this statement, but I can guarantee that most of the members here are self taught, with assistance from friends and family.

The two elements (in my opinion) are safety and skill.

Most of the safety issues are common sense (which I agree not everyone has), this doesn't diminish their importance at all.

One wouldn't expect many "safety" questions to come up on here.

However, "skill" covers many areas and can be a lifetime in learning.

As an "experienced" shooter, I am interested in a lot of the opinions and tips posted on here.

Thanks for your views..as i stated i have shot air rifles for many years so safety is my number one priority before anything else. The only problem i have is the difference in aiming at quarry especially moving quarry. As you all know air rifle shooting is based on static shooting. The gun is a good fit so no problem there, it just means that i have to work on my aim more and get used to the moving targets. Unfortunately my shifts do not allow me to get to a clay shoot on weekends so i will have to learn the hard way. The one good thing about my shift work is that it enables me to get out in the field 2 or 3 days a week when most people are working. So in time i hope i can actually resolve the problem myself with practice....and at Mr Pigeons exspense..... B) :lol::lol::)

I like you moved from rifles(rimfire in my case) to shotguns the hardest part I find is that you dont aim a shotgun you point it, believe it or not!

The more you concentrate on your bird the more likely you are to miss it, if you are aiming it like a rifle.

Try practicing holding and dry firing the shotgun at home on the curtain rail(making sure the curtains are closed so as not to scare the neighbours) or looking into a mirror with shot gun into your shoulder.

You'll notice a difference when you go out for a few shots.

Good Luck!!

I close my left eye, I always have done and its an impossible habit for me to break.

That is such a coincidence Cranfield I do also, and have done since I got my first Shotgun licence at 17.

Ive never found it a disadvantage even when i was younger and did a few local clay contests I had my share of success.

The gun fitter at a famous west country shop tried to coach me out of it but I find it very uncomfortable to try and keep both eyes open.

As for the aiming point of the gun.... Each gun varies so much I have always checked a new gun with a 8 x 4 sheet of plywood at 35 yards a 2ft circle with a cross in the middle. The shot pattern obviously varies with load and choke but it will give you a very good indication of the part of the gun you should be lining up with.

I have never considered that I "point" the gun and have always aimed at the quarry or a point on the lead of the quarry with one eye closed.

I have never had one of the 10's of thousands of pigeons and crows ive shot complain about it. :lol:

FM.

The gun is a good fit so no problem there

Craftcarper,

How do you know the gun is a good fit?

Assuming you really know which is you master eye, the next step is make sure you know the correct stance (which is different from rifle shooting), then you need to know how to correctly mount the gun and only then can you start on gun fit. You can get a rough guide on stock length and you should find out how the gun is cast (left or right handed) and, with some help from a knowledgable friend, you might be able to determine whether the comb height is about right for you.

However to ensure good gunfit you need to go to an expert and go out onto live firing. If you want to know how to do it properly take the best advice from Highlander - go to the professionals

Try the Essex Shooting School at Thornwood, Epping

Edited by potshot

Hi my master eye is my left eye thank you, and i am also left handed, but as with airifles i have always shot righthanded guns which is no problem as long as the stock is straightish. The gun feels good and is easy to mount and comfortable which is good enough for me, the stance i will probably have to work on but hey we all have to start somewhere. The gun was bought from a shop who i take it are pro's who i have dealt with over many years so i think they know what they are doing.

But seeing as i see lots of posts on various forums including this one with guns being sold as seen i take it that it not always of great importance if the gun is fitted professionaly or not otherwise the market for selling secondhand guns would be ziltch. As for paying a pro for lessons i'm gonna give that one a miss. As i have already said i also shoot rifles which are completely different so i have a few bad habits already which can't be completely eliminated as i will carry on to shoot rifles as well as a shotgun. It seems that by reading the replies already posted that everyone has different views and ways of shooting i suppose it's down to your own preference at the end of the day and also what you feel comfortable with. I was talking to a guy at a clay shoot the other day and he had to wear a patch over his right eye because he can only shoot by looking down the barrel with his left one. He found that by placing a patch over the other eye instead of closing it himself he hit more. Believe me i watched him shoot and he didn't miss much while i was there so i guess its swings and roundabouts mate.

All i'm out to do is vermin control the odd pigeon & bolting rabbits with ferrets to the gun and just basically have some fun..........

Christ dave G. Do you not go to bed !!!! :lol:

Most shotgun users would agree that 40yds the optimum range for shooting live quarry with a shotty.

The effective range depends on the gauge of the gun the load and charge on the cartridge and the choke of the barrel.

I normally use a 16g for my Shooting, with 6 or 7 size shot normally no more than 26gram. On my favorite gun barrels are choked at full & 1/2 So I think i have to be a bit more accurate than your average shooter with a 1/4 choked 12 g and 34g.

If you contrast the shot pattern that this throws out with my AYA 12 G using 32 of 5 with 1/4 & 1/2 you would be suprised at the difference.

When I first "bench tested" these guns using the ply sheet I found that I was lining up the cross just above the bead with the 12 G and just under it with the 16.

This difference of 1/2 ins or so makes a big difference at 35 yds.

When I do use the AYA or one of my other guns rather than the 16 it takes me a box of 25 before I start lining the gun up properly.

The best advice I can give you is Practice, Practice & more practice. I wouldnt get too hung up with the tradition of fit and suitability. Ive had some unscrupulous dealers try and sell me a gun that patently doesnt fit because Ive not let on when ive been in the shop that I wasnt a novice and they just wanted to sell the gun.

Obviously you need to get a gun which basically fits but I shouldnt worry too much about the whistles & bells as you can adapt your shooting style to some extent.

If closing one eye works for you, is comfortable, then ****** it if its not cricket. the fundamental things are to be safe have some respect for your quarry and enjoy it.

FM.

Most shotgun users would agree that 40yds the optimum range for shooting live quarry with a shotty

FMike, you could fill a book with responses to that statement. :lol:;)

I recommend all new shooters to pace out, or measure accurately, the distances of 25, 30, 35 and 40 yards.

They usually are quite surprised at how far away 30 yards is.

Most shotgun users would agree that 40yds the optimum range for shooting live quarry with a shotty

FMike, you could fill a book with responses to that statement. :lol:;)

I recommend all new shooters to pace out, or measure accurately, the distances of 25, 30, 35 and 40 yards.

They usually are quite surprised at how far away 30 yards is.

:) True enough. :lol: Bad Choice of word perhaps I should have used Maximum.

:lol: FM "Do you not go to bed" :lol:

Aha - I'm an all night taxi driver, and a creature of habit

:lol: Albeit it a bad habit of keeping to my nocturnal sleeping hours :lol:

:D So lamping slots in there just nice on my nights off - and I can do it with impunity in the knowledge that I'm not disturbing others in my household :*)

;) And of course the wabbits are awake too :)

Edited by Dave-G