2 in a hide

country-kid

a bit of a beginner to decoying and wondering whats the best way to shoot with 2 in a hide? with one being left handed and the other right? cheers

No. Only one person should shoot. If you have two people shooting in all directions, someone will eventually get hurt.

Just have one person shooting and then swap.

I share a hide with a right hander...Im left handed....We sit on the appropiate side's....Its a purely 1 at a time affair...Strictly take it in turns with the none shooter having an empty gun...Then theres no temptation to have a crack if the other misses with both barrels.....SAFTEY IS PARAMOUNT...You have to know and trust the other person 110%........Im sure other's will disagree with me....My shooting mate and i have done this many many times now and know the routine....1 shoots and 1 looks on....

I've shot 2 to a hide with McF for decades. We are both right handed, not that this should be important. McF shoots an O/U, I shoot a semi auto.

Discipline is the most important factor.

We take it in turns to shoot, but both look for the birds.

When I'm shooting McFs gun is broken over his knee, no cartridges chambered.

When McF is shooting my semi is in the rear corner of the hide, 2 cartridges in the tube, safety on, but no cartridge in the chamber.

We trust each other to the Nth degree, and after so many years of shooting together are a bit like a married couple. PW member whom have met us will know what I mean. Pigeon shooting would not be the same without McF. When we are in the hide we put the world to rights and debate many issues, but our mutual safety is always paramount in our minds.

webber

I share a hide with a right hander...Im left handed....We sit on the appropiate side's....Its a purely 1 at a time affair...Strictly take it in turns with the none shooter having an empty gun...Then theres no temptation to have a crack if the other misses with both barrels.....SAFTEY IS PARAMOUNT...You have to know and trust the other person 110%........Im sure other's will disagree with me....My shooting mate and i have done this many many times now and know the routine....1 shoots and 1 looks on....

:good::):)

Thats the way I do it, left hander on the right and right hander on the left.

You shoot and your mate sits and watches with an empty broken gun and vice-versa. :lol:

:good:

I don't see any reason why 2 in a hide can't be safe. As long as you both know what each other is doing. I sometimes shoot at birds on the right as they come in as the bloke next to me shoots the ones on the left of the same flock. I wouldn't do this with a novice or someone who i did'nt know, however.

I don't see any reason why 2 in a hide can't be safe. As long as you both know what each other is doing. I sometimes shoot at birds on the right as they come in as the bloke next to me shoots the ones on the left of the same flock. I wouldn't do this with a novice or someone who i did'nt know, however.

:(

When i satrted shooting i was 12 and i had to be near dad, not only to comply with th law but also so i could learn as much as poss. We used to share a hide,and we alwasy had two guns out, but i generaly shoot my semi at pigeons, and dad uses a pump, so we could both have our mags loaded without the chambers loaded. We still share a hide, and ive moved up guns to a FAC semi now but we still operate the same procedia and still take turns, its the social aspect as well.

I can see by some of the descriptions that with strict discipline 2 in a hide can be quite safe. My main gripe would be you are only getting half the shooting you might have had from an individual hide in a different location. Certainly there can be times when pigeon favour one particular corner of a field but in general would it not be best to use two seperate set ups??

Blackpowder

When the field is big enough, or there are other fields nearby, then two hides is the best bet.

If the shooting is more of a "social", then alternate shooting is probably the safest bet, but there are lots of other factors to consider (how big is the hide ? how experienced the shooters ? how big is the shooting area/view ? etc).

Its something I avoid.

Nowt wrong with two shooting in a hide IMO when you see troops in combat eg like ghan or iraq running around with loaded weapons .

You dont see them going excuse me old boy is this a bit dangerous .

Regards OTH

I mean no disrespect to our troops, but its a fact that many tragic insidents have happened from bullets from bothsides. There are 'friendly fire' incidents that have happended and still continue to happen.

EDR

I think the main thing is to spot someone who just forgets everything when it all gets a bit exciting. I've seen it happen loads of times when out lamping; there are loads of bunnies and the shooter gets so overexcited by the situation that they start aiming up at rabbits sat on the side of the road. It's not that they don't know it's wrong, it's just that the excitement gets all too much and everything is forgotten.

I think that's when people get injured when it's two in a hide.

we do it all the time and the same as every one else-just take turns,and if the situation allows it then have two seperate hides. As long as your both safe responsible shots theres no reason not to enjoy each others company and shooting! :huh:

Edited by tomhw100

The way i have done this over the years is as follows:-

When i am with someone who i know well and trust totally we shoot together, at the same time. There are two people that i am comfortable doing this with and one is blood. Demarkation is the centre of the pattern or the magnet or whatever is decided upon.. One shoots anything to the left of this point and one shoots anything to the right. No crossing of the line. Only time this changes is if only one or two come in and one person "your birds", or "mines" the incommers in which case the other person doesn't move and the full width of the kill zone is used.

Occasionally when we are three up in a hide (yes it does happen) only two shoot to the left and right rule above the other person spots, makes coffee, eats, plays retriever or generally takes the **** out of the other two until a changeover occurs. This is usually the one making the biggest hash of it that steps down for rest and reflection.

If i'm sharing a hide with someone i don't know then i will tend to make "your bird" and "MINE KEEP STILL" calls and expect them to be heeded, if not guns away and one at a time prevails.

I mean no disrespect to our troops, but its a fact that many tragic insidents have happened from bullets from bothsides. There are 'friendly fire' incidents that have happended and still continue to happen.

EDR

A completely different ball game to having a mate next to you in a hide :huh: