2 in a hide

country-kid

I shoot two in a hide regularly, but we keep disciplined ie shoot left or right never across each others view, so two birds coming in both shoot at the bird THEIR side one bird coming in one shoots :good: trick is not to be greedy, if your a must have the shot merchant dont bother with two's up.

KW

i shoot 2 in a hide when dad can be ***** to come out. we have shot together for over 10 years and when in the hand are constantly talkin to each other even if a bird is dropping in i'll be saying which one i am lookin at he will tell me which is his or i will let him know to take it. we sometimes even will let one shoot at it then the other pop up and have a go. this may sound dodgy to some and im sure therel be grief but it works as we are both very aware of wat the other is doing and have never even come close to clashing barrels. one time wen shooting duck from a hide we both at the exact same time decided to let the duck go as it just felt wrong and the hide was just too small. always better to be safe than sorry at the end of a day i would rather see the bird survive than injure or do worse to a person (or dog!)!!

• 5 weeks later...
Nowt wrong with two shooting in a hide IMO when you see troops in combat eg like ghan or iraq running around with loaded weapons .

You dont see them going excuse me old boy is this a bit dangerous .

Regards OTH

The guys that do this in the UK all have all done lots of bulid up shoots live and blank and have highly trained saftey staff and applie a safe angle to the barell the safety does not come off if there is anyone with in that angle (590 mils or 2 spread hands) for small arms. And yes people have been killed it is unusal tho but they alway have a Combat Medic and ambulance just incase.

On Ops this different however the range is 2 way, I'd say it's fine to shoot 2 at a time if the birds shot back, but I'll stick to taking turns.

Consider this : In May 2004 two buddies were shooting from the same hide over peas near Scunnie, they had done it loads of times before and the hide was 'big enough'. Something went wrong, one guy fired once, did'nt brake the gun brought it in stock butt downwards lost his footing fell backards and shot the other guy in the upper thigh, missed his ******** and main artery but the flow of blood was like a hosepipe and the injured guy had to apply a torneque and managed to phone for help before he passed out. The other guy went to pieces and was only able to wait at the roadside for the ambulance while his mate kept bleeding, fortunately the injured guy survived. The pair fell out and the injured guy is still unable to work and still trying to win sufficient insurance claim damages.

Edited by P.Shuter

Consider this : In May 2004 two buddies were shooting from the same hide over peas near Scunnie, they had done it loads of times before and the hide was 'big enough'. Something went wrong, one guy fired once, did'nt brake the gun brought it in stock butt downwards lost his footing fell backards and shot the other guy in the upper thigh, missed his ******** and main artery but the flow of blood was like a hosepipe and the injured guy had to apply a torneque and managed to phone for help before he passed out. The other guy went to pieces and was only able to wait at the roadside for the ambulance while his mate kept bleeding, fortunately the injured guy survived. The pair fell out and the injured guy is still unable to work and still trying to win sufficient insurance claim damages.

i had a similar experience with 2 in a hide we was taking it in turn to shoot one gun broke without shells whilst the other shot doing it by the book but this one moment after he had taken his shot he sat down before breaking his gun and his seat collasped under him he fell backwards with a loaded gun still in his hand; i seen it happening luckily and grabbed the gun as he fell and held onto it with barrels pointing upwards anyway no matter how safe you are unpredictable things like this can happen but thats a one off for me but sure of other incidents like this have occured across the board; always saftey first. OF ALL THE PHEASANTS EVER BRED WONT MAKE UP FOR ONE MAN DEAD.

:good::lol::lol:

Thats the way I do it, left hander on the right and right hander on the left.

You shoot and your mate sits and watches with an empty broken gun and vice-versa. :lol:

I'm the same , a Lefty my buddy is a Right , Take it in turn "Talk" to each other , one drinks coffee and looks to the left for birds comming in the other looks to the right and shoots, keeping each other informed of whats comming and from where,

Saftey Saftey

o and did i forget

SAFTEY !!!!!!!

if you leave the hide "Both" guns should be Empty and Broken,

Good old boy for asking !

I've only ever shot two in a hide with both shooting once. Many years ago. I ws in a hide with a guy I barely knew with an agreement that he shot to the right and I shot to the left. Four pigeons came in, one at my side and three at his side. I waited as usual as I like to see the white's of their eyes when laddo jumped up, shot my pigeon with his first barrel and shot at the pigeons on his side with the other. I put my gun away, picked up my deeks and left him to it.

These days I only share a hide with like-minded folk, and take it in turns to shoot with the non-shooter unloaded and watching.

Guest Mr Pieman

It's all about discipline and safety awareness. After all, we all know stories where some dumb **** has been shooting on their own and managed to shoot themselves by accident!! What then - no one in a hide?!?!?!?!?

Guns good - people dumb as dumb can be!!!!

• 1 month later...

clearly you lads have had mixed experiances, i shoot 2 in a hide , were both right handers and have shot together for years , we know what each other do and have hides with plenty of space (a must), we each cover our own areas and communicate continously as they flight in , never had even the slightest of issues doing this, but i couldnt see myself trusting anyone, it takes time and understanding to form a safe efficent teamwork, we even have the volley of shots lined up if one person uses both barrels the other is waiting to mop up, really effective shooting and we bag good numbers when there coming in well. plus it allows you to have a cuppa and watch the action and take it in turns also , nice social aspect...

I share a hide with a right hander...Im left handed....We sit on the appropiate side's....Its a purely 1 at a time affair...Strictly take it in turns with the none shooter having an empty gun...Then theres no temptation to have a crack if the other misses with both barrels.....SAFTEY IS PARAMOUNT...You have to know and trust the other person 110%........Im sure other's will disagree with me....My shooting mate and i have done this many many times now and know the routine....1 shoots and 1 looks on....

im with smig i shoot with my 65 year old dad and we take it in turns.we toss a coin for the first shot then alternate from then on.The non shooter always has a empty broken gun and is sitting.

Lee

I've shot 2 to a hide with McF for decades. We are both right handed, not that this should be important. McF shoots an O/U, I shoot a semi auto.

Discipline is the most important factor.

We take it in turns to shoot, but both look for the birds.

When I'm shooting McFs gun is broken over his knee, no cartridges chambered.

When McF is shooting my semi is in the rear corner of the hide, 2 cartridges in the tube, safety on, but no cartridge in the chamber.

We trust each other to the Nth degree, and after so many years of shooting together are a bit like a married couple. PW member whom have met us will know what I mean. Pigeon shooting would not be the same without McF. When we are in the hide we put the world to rights and debate many issues, but our mutual safety is always paramount in our minds.

webber

:blink: :good::drinks::shoot: :blink: :stupid:

I've always shot two in a hide when I take my mate shooting unless I'm a large field that needs two hides at opposite ends of the field. As said, we put the world to rights, and take the **** out of each other when we miss, which is quite often.

We always follow the above safety rules.

:good:

bigt

a bit of a beginner to decoying and wondering whats the best way to shoot with 2 in a hide? with one being left handed and the other right? cheers

We often shoot two in a hide we take turns or if the birds come from the left the one sitting on the left takes the shot and verse are versa if a lot come in together we talk and decide who will take which shoot and shot together it is most important that you talk and know who is shooting at which bird and never shoot across the other person.