Rifles? Which one?

jamesspencer_2001

Hi Guys (and Gals) (pc!)

I have been airgunning for some years and now that im 18 i am about to apply for my firearms cert. I am not sure how much they cost but would like a middle range setup .22. Which i will use for vermin control. I will mainly be shooting rabbits and was wondering which rifle would be the best option for me. I am interested in the sako rifles and would prefer plastic or laminate so i dont have to worry too much about scratches etc. I am looking for something ranging from £300-£400 notes.

Hope you can help

Thanks

James

I doubt you could get a sako at that price.

I was in the same situation as you, when i applied early this year, only i have a large amount of range experience.

The cert cost 60 quid if i remember right.

I got a CZ452 american with all the extras (scope , mod, sling) for £350 from the local dealer. Its an excellent little rifle, quite light and very accurate.

No doubt that a Sako is great but you pay a premium, I guess you might find a second hand one but the Finnfire is a wood stock. The new Quad is synthetic and very nice but I don't expect there to be many second hand ones on the market just yet.

I agree with Sarge, take a look at the CZ Silhoutte. Superb value, even better with a trigger job.

Another vote for the CZ style. I love mine.

It is superb.

Especially with the brookes trigger kit (which is a cinch to fit).

Leaves change for a bipod (which can be expensive) and moderator, sling and scope etc.

Not to forget the ammo as well.

And a bag.

And a cleaning kit/pull through, and a decent cammo overjacket, and a gamebag for all those bunnies, and a nice new knife to paunch them with, etc etc ! B)

• 4 weeks later...

Was looking at a CZ style in my local gun shop. The guy in there recommended it for my budget. After reading up on it on the net i've seen quite a few people mention the trigger and getting it changed. Just wondering whats up with the standard. please don't get to technical on me if you reply.

Jim.

I have a silhoutte with parker hale moderator, brooks trigger kit and taske 3-9 x 40 mill dot.

It is a good little set up you could head shot bunnies at 60m all night with subs. The standard trigger on mine was not half bad to be fair. More than a good enough little rifle for shooting vermin.

The trigger kit is only £10 or 12; it makes the trigger feal crisper by eliminating creep by means of a simple spacer and you can lighten the pull with interchangable springs although the pull weight is adjustable any way by adjusting the preload on the spring.

The trigger kit comes with easy to follow instructions the only tools needed are a smallish hammer and a narrow pin punch. If a gun smith takes more than £10 for fitting do not use him again because he is ripping you off.

Dave

Sako Quad on its way! £430 from Continental shooting supplies, Scotland. I've handled the CZs, American is a nice gun, I found the Varmint too bulky for my taste, couldn't find a 16" CZ for the right money. So it's an early Christmas present ( can I still use that work or is it winter holiday). The Sako is a real treat and that bolt action is what really sold me being left handed.

Day off on Wednesday and I can't wait to sight in and get out there. Look out fluffy bunny and Jim crow, I'm on my way.