Harvest shooting ?

Cranfield

Hiya Cranfield, I've been out for the last few weeks on the stubbles. There are plenty of bunnies about, & I've done ok. I've taken 40 rabbits off of one 6 acre field, which was very close to becoming mixsed{excuse the spelling}. As more fields are being opened up, we're getting more chances at charlie, & have shot a fair few in the last few weeks.

Wheat fields on the farm where I shoot in Durham have not been harvested  yet. Some of the barley is still standing too

I went out 2 days ago on Rape stubble and there were about 150 pigeons feeding but after 1 shot they were gone

I set up camp and a few decoys but the birds which flew past didnt even give them a second glance.

Doesn,t anyone follow the combine harvester round anymore ?

I have shot four foxes this week as they bolted from wheat fields which were being cut.

My farmer friend on the combine, spots the movement in the wheat and guides me to where they are going to exit.

We didn,t lose any.

He telephones me if he sees anything in the field and when the field is small enough to be "interesting".

I turn up and "bingo". :(

PS. I also shot one of the biggest rats I have ever seen.

When it first ran out under the straw, I thought it was a very dark rabbit, but it was definitely a common rat.  :0

Cranfield when you say follow the combine about do mean waiting till the last bit of crop is ready for cutting then moving in just as the animals break cover because ive just got back from doing that And I am hoping to go tomoro.

The gamekeeper was there waiting in his car with the rifle for any foxs to leg it out but none did and I shot 2 Rabbits with my 410 I dont know whats haping round are way when I was little and dad used to sit me in the tractor to fill the grain in to the trailer when the combine had its spout out I used to see loads of people with beagles and they used to get hundreds of bunnies break cover at once but they dont seam to do it any more. But the best crop to shoot in the harvest time is maze because its so high just about any animal you can think off stays in it and when its cut there all exposed, I got some great pictures off deer running out in front of the combine and the keeper reckons he shot 3 fox's in the same night when they went lamping after the maze was cut so I have got my fingers crossed.  :(

Correct BigDave.

Sounds as though you had a good day. I was shooting on wheat fields and saw a few rabbits, but as I was the only gun we concentrated on the foxes.

Walking back to my car, which was parked at the edge of the field. I shot three rabbits that had run from the wheat and had not reached the edge of the field, but had laid up under the straw.

Paddy, A Dealer takes my pigeons and I never have any problems getting rid of rabbits, but everyone wants them gutted and skinnned first.  :0

Foxes I bury.

EGNWT, I use Eley Maximum No5 shot, but I have killed many foxes with a "Pigeon load", standard No6 shot.

Range is usually 35 yards or less.

Most don,t even need the second barrel.