Please help with my eye issues!

HDAV

I actually agree with almost every thing timps says.

It is better to slightly close the left eye or squint than shut it because it makes the right eye dominant and you can still see a little with the left. The problem is that very few people can actually do that when shooting, so are told to close it for now and go away and practice squinting. Many people can`t even shut one eye or wink so are told about the spot on the lens trick.

You can in fact get your right eye dominance back but it takes a lot more determination than most can muster and takes quite some time but it is possible in most cases.

I myself have always been left eye dominant and shoot from the right shoulder by squinting as the gun meets the shoulder and using the moving gun mount as do all the top shots. But it takes a lot of practice.

I have even learnt to shoot well left handed because I needed to know what the difficulties were.

It`s not so much a quick cure we try to give as much as we know that in just an hour or two you can not learn that much and keep it there so we tell you what you can keep in there with very little practice at all, knowing that it will at least help a little.

The best way is to book about 6 x 2x hour lessons and have them about a month apart so you can practice what you have learnt in between. Yes it will cost you a bit but it will save you thousands of pounds in the long run not to mention being a good shot in around four years instead of 24 years.

How ever I do accept that there are good coaches and bad ones as in all trades.

If you go to big club where they have to stick to the hour and that's it, it can cause problems because it`s just not long enough by far.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post Coach :ermm:

The problem is that very few people can actually do that when shooting, so are told to close it for now and go away and practice squinting. Many people can`t even shut one eye or wink so are told about the spot on the lens trick.

This is the main reason why I started off with the spot when I first started shooting, there was just too much to learn & I could not believe how difficult it was to shut my eye let alone dim it. When I was more confident and experienced with my shooting I then began to experiment.

It`s not so much a quick cure we try to give as much as we know that in just an hour or two you can not learn that much and keep it there so we tell you what you can keep in there with very little practice at all, knowing that it will at least help a little.

I totally agree with you on this, if someone new to shooting comes with me and they have a dominance problem I will use the spot trick because I just want to get them hitting clays and get a solid basic shooting technique and there is only so much the human brain can take in at once.

My only gripe is with some instructors who treat it as the panacea to eye dominance problems without excepting that it has its drawbacks or that another method might be better in the long run for their pupil. I have no problems with them using it just when they argue with me that its the only way to do it. :shifty:

But totally agree that a good instructor and a few lessons will reap huge rewards in the long run. :good:

Coach and Timps

Good posts and both hit one issue firmly, as I for one would like to find a good coach where I can do several lessons rather than try to have one intensive session - didnt learn everything about driving in one go.......

This is something I am trying to find but its a minefield of who when and where etc....

Question for Coach and Timps

Did you find that closing one eye made you linger on the target a little longer at first.

Also would you recommend the tru glo sights,are they easier to see in your peripheral vision. I asume that is the purpose for them.

I have tried the easy hit but couldnt get on with it. Although will probably try again when time allows.

Cheers

GwB

Question for Coach and Timps

Did you find that closing one eye made you linger on the target a little longer at first.

On certain targets yes at first I definitely seemed to hang on to the targets a little longer than I liked but with time and practice I began to hit them earlier again.

There was a tendency with me to actually measure lead on fast crossers at first like I was aiming at the clay akin to rifle shooting.

But it’s just a matter of time to get used to the technique, as simple as the technique sounds it just does not happen overnight to get the timing right.

Also would you recommend the tru glo sights,are they easier to see in your peripheral vision. I asume that is the purpose for them.

This is very subjective to the shooter but for me I love the true glow sight it give me the confidence not to look at it as it was clearly visible in my peripheral vision. I also trained my brain to switch eye dominance and the tru glo was an integral part of that process so I might not be as favourable about it if I had just stayed with dimming an eye, but I did use it for some considerable time whilst just dimming an eye.

I have tried the easy hit but couldnt get on with it. Although will probably try again when time allows.

I never really got on with it either and broke my golden rule of giving it evaluation time and went back to the true glow very quickly.

Edited by timps

Well as part of the ongoing saga i tired the vaseline today couldn't see a clay anywhere (it was right infront of me!)..... so shut my left eye and continued right eye only, was suggested my comb was low so tried a pad and shot worse but i was told i keep lifting my head just before i pull the trigger so looks like i need to get a bigger comb adjsuter and try that. is there a photo somewhere of how the end of the gun should look? or what the shooter should look like from the rib back to the shooter? how much rib should you see? (i know modern guns have 2 beads to line up your eye but mine does not have this and why the 8 why not line them both up? seen this on trap guns...

Edited by HDAV

Balance a £1 coin right at the end of the rib near the action, you should be able to see a bit of rib and the bead but definitely all of the bead above the coin.

If the comb is too high it’s not going to be a major problem (as long as your mount is consistent and it’s not stupidly high) if it’s too low, even just slightly you are not going to hit a thing.

It’s an 8 so you can see the far bead all the time, if the first bead obscured it you could not line it properly as you could not see it.

Balance a £1 coin right at the end of the rib near the action, you should be able to see a bit of rib and the bead but definitely all of the bead above the coin.

If the comb is too high it’s not going to be a major problem (as long as your mount is consistent and it’s not stupidly high) if it’s too low, even just slightly you are not going to hit a thing.

It’s an 8 so you can see the far bead all the time, if the first bead obscured it you could not line it properly as you could not see it.

Fantastic thanks so i should see the whole bead even with £1 coin on the RIB will give it a go! Thanks

Hmm now with the £1 (actually a supermarket trolley token i dont a have £1 coin :lol::good::yes: ) the comb is very low I have 3 foam pads on to raise the comb and my natural eye line is to see the bead through the key chain hole in the disc i have to lift my head (which is what i was doing while shooting and missing) to see over the coin I will try and up load a photo or 2 to better explain it

Edited by HDAV

The £1 coin works quite well on a o/u but is very difficult to do on a sbs as it tends to sit on both barrels and not the rib. :lol:

HDAV, pm me with your email address and I will try and send you a picture from my collection. :good:

This is very subjective to the shooter but for me I love the true glow sight it give me the confidence not to look at it as it was clearly visible in my peripheral vision. I also trained my brain to switch eye dominance and the tru glo was an integral part of that process so I might not be as favourable about it if I had just stayed with dimming an eye, but I did use it for some considerable time whilst just dimming an eye.

Thanks for the reply timps

can you recommend a particular sight whether Hi Viz or Tru Glo, screw in or magnetic. Some of the sights are getting bad reviews due to build quality? Any chance of a link to best place to buy?

can you recommend a particular sight whether Hi Viz or Tru Glo, screw in or magnetic. Some of the sights are getting bad reviews due to build quality? Any chance of a link to best place to buy?

Do you mean as a replacement to original? I bought an easy hit from sportmans for £16 but am yet to use it in anger

Thanks for the reply timps

On my Beretta’s I used Beretta’s own TRU•BEAD made by truglow but this just comes with a screw for Berretta’s.

On my old Brownings I used a TRU•BEAD™ UNIVERSAL this came with a whole host of different screws and different size rib plates to suit different manufacturers in either a 0.060 (part number TG949A) or a 0.078 (part number TG949B) diameter fibre.

The 0.078 is the same as the Berreta version.

Never used the internet to buy one as my local gun shop had them in.

These have them in www.gunshoprugby.com (never used them) however the one in the advert is the 0.060 diameter I had on my Browning, I prefer the 0.078 version but this came a very close 2nd.

The only others I have used are a browning Hi Viz magnetic sight (the less said about this the better) but I would never buy another magnetic sight base on my experience with this one and an easy hit which again I did not like.

From my personal preference I would never buy a stick on one, magnetic one or one that is a foot long again. :mad:

Edited by timps

Fantastic thanks so i should see the whole bead even with £1 coin on the RIB will give it a go! Thanks

Hmm now with the £1 (actually a supermarket trolley token i dont a have £1 coin :mad::cry1: :cry1: ) the comb is very low I have 3 foam pads on to raise the comb and my natural eye line is to see the bead through the key chain hole in the disc i have to lift my head (which is what i was doing while shooting and missing) to see over the coin I will try and up load a photo or 2 to better explain it

Sounds to me you are standing the coin on it's edge I think it should lie flat!

IMHO you can't beat blasting a few at the patern plate before you get to changing the stock comb etc. I always test new guns and or stocks because you can't hit a thing unless you know where the gun is pointing! My new stock needed mounting much lower than my old one no way to find out till I blasted a few at the old sofa with some paper taped to it lol made all the diffrence ! Straight shooting will

Indeed i am... is it the diameter of a £1 or the thickness? that you should see over?

Thanks Coach, can you confirm the £1 thing please

Thickness of a pound coin, but if you are doing it on a S/S as coach said it will be hard because of the barrels ( I just assumed O/U).

Anything that's the thickness of a pound coin that can fit on the rib without being raised by the barrels will do .

Thickness of a pound coin, but if you are doing it on a S/S as coach said it will be hard because of the barrels ( I just assumed O/U).

Anything that's the thickness of a pound coin that can fit on the rib without being raised by the barrels will do .

Right will try it..... or something similar thickness and let you know

On my Beretta’s I used Beretta’s own TRU•BEAD made by truglow but this just comes with a screw for Berretta’s.

On my old Brownings I used a TRU•BEAD™ UNIVERSAL this came with a whole host of different screws and different size rib plates to suit different manufacturers in either a 0.060 (part number TG949A) or a 0.078 (part number TG949B) diameter fibre.

The 0.078 is the same as the Berreta version.

Never used the internet to buy one as my local gun shop had them in.

These have them in www.gunshoprugby.com (never used them) however the one in the advert is the 0.060 diameter I had on my Browning, I prefer the 0.078 version but this came a very close 2nd.

The only others I have used are a browning Hi Viz magnetic sight (the less said about this the better) but I would never buy another magnetic sight base on my experience with this one and an easy hit which again I did not like.

From my personal preference I would never buy a stick on one, magnetic one or one that is a foot long again. :sick:

Many thanks for the replies

I am having difficulty finding the 0.078 as I believe the bigger one will be better for me. It seems that TG949B isnt available in widely in the UK???

I can sympathize with you. Seven years ago i suffered with a rare disease that ended up with loosing 80% of my sight in right eye which was my dominant eye. I gave up on shooting altogether as i could not hit a thing, but twelve months last Christmas we had a works Xmas party that included a day at Bob Valentines shooting school near Pwlleli in N Wales, I was lucky that day as i was in the group with Bob himself coaching us.

After explaining my problem to him had a few shots right handed he told me that for the rest of the day i was to shoot left handed, I thought no chance i could just about mount the gun but after a few difference stand and a few shots i got a bit more comfortable with it.

At the end of the day over a glass of port i was awarded most improved shot of the day i came from there on a real high got home and printed an application form for shotgun certificate two months later with my new certificate i went to buy a Beretta silver pigeon s left handed had a few more lessons with Bob plenty of practice on clays now shoot Pigeon and crows plus a bit of game on local shoot and the local wild fowling club. I Would not consider myself a great shot but do get my fair share of the quarry. to help with getting used to mounting the gun on the left i bought a laser shot this helped well as you can see the barrel is pointing at where you are looking.

I can sympathize with you. Seven years ago i suffered with a rare disease that ended up with loosing 80% of my sight in right eye which was my dominant eye. I gave up on shooting altogether as i could not hit a thing, but twelve months last Christmas we had a works Xmas party that included a day at Bob Valentines shooting school near Pwlleli in N Wales, I was lucky that day as i was in the group with Bob himself coaching us.

After explaining my problem to him had a few shots right handed he told me that for the rest of the day i was to shoot left handed, I thought no chance i could just about mount the gun but after a few difference stand and a few shots i got a bit more comfortable with it.

At the end of the day over a glass of port i was awarded most improved shot of the day i came from there on a real high got home and printed an application form for shotgun certificate two months later with my new certificate i went to buy a Beretta silver pigeon s left handed had a few more lessons with Bob plenty of practice on clays now shoot Pigeon and crows plus a bit of game on local shoot and the local wild fowling club. I Would not consider myself a great shot but do get my fair share of the quarry. to help with getting used to mounting the gun on the left i bought a laser shot this helped well as you can see the barrel is pointing at where you are looking.

Thanks I may have to start shooting L/H but my gun is a R/H cast SbS (are you near Pwllheli?) by laser shot do you mean some thing like? http://www.uttings.com/?categories/Shootin...aserboresighter

Thanks I may have to start shooting L/H but my gun is a R/H cast SbS (are you near Pwllheli?) by laser shot do you mean some thing like? http://www.uttings.com/?categories/Shootin...aserboresighter

Hi Not to far from Pwlleli i live in Bangor.

The laser i have is an arrow laser shot can be seen at www.arrowlasershot.com they are on the expensive side, cheaper options are available.

If i mount the gun on right shoulder using the bad eye the laser is 4inches away from where i am actually pointing the gun at 20m!

I found using the laser on the left to get the gun to point where i am looking i need to twist the gun slightly so i think some time in the future i will end up having the stock ajusted to fit me better.

I did make a home made one out of an empty cartridge and a cheap laser from maplin electronics but found.

it not to accurate enough.