Please help with my eye issues!

HDAV

I did make a home made one out of an empty cartridge and a cheap laser from maplin electronics but found.

it not to accurate enough.

I was thinking the same but planned to use a "snap cap" the issue will be centring the laser in the bore I will keep an eye out for an arrow S/H

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cookoff013

i`ve got no eye domminance and can se several images at once.

i have to close my left eye, to keep the sight picture from changing.

i dont go for these gizmo`s, but maybe its a gunfit issue here?

you should get on a pattern plate....

• 1 month later...
I can sympathize with you. Seven years ago i suffered with a rare disease that ended up with loosing 80% of my sight in right eye which was my dominant eye. I gave up on shooting altogether as i could not hit a thing, but twelve months last Christmas we had a works Xmas party that included a day at Bob Valentines shooting school near Pwlleli in N Wales, I was lucky that day as i was in the group with Bob himself coaching us.

After explaining my problem to him had a few shots right handed he told me that for the rest of the day i was to shoot left handed, I thought no chance i could just about mount the gun but after a few difference stand and a few shots i got a bit more comfortable with it.

At the end of the day over a glass of port i was awarded most improved shot of the day i came from there on a real high got home and printed an application form for shotgun certificate two months later with my new certificate i went to buy a Beretta silver pigeon s left handed had a few more lessons with Bob plenty of practice on clays now shoot Pigeon and crows plus a bit of game on local shoot and the local wild fowling club. I Would not consider myself a great shot but do get my fair share of the quarry. to help with getting used to mounting the gun on the left i bought a laser shot this helped well as you can see the barrel is pointing at where you are looking.

I live 15 miles from Bob Valentine's shoot at Llanbedrog and I had my 50th Birthday party there last year :thumbs: what a great day..

I remember many years ago going to Bob's for a lesson (1994) and the first thing he did was rip my brand new easy hit bead off :lol:

He hated that kind of thing and just taught me to shut my left eye just before pulling the trigger.

Now I'm trying an easy-hit bead again but I'm a bit worried, I'm shooting in a charity shoot at Bob's on the 8th of May and I can't afford to have the ****** repeat his previous actions :lol: :lol: :P

i`ve got no eye domminance and can se several images at once.

I think I'm similar but my sight picture varies.

One thing I do sometimes is close my left eye and focus really hard on a

distant object with my right for a few seconds before calling for a clay, this

seems to 'fix' for a few seconds.

I'm no great clay shooter to be giving advice but this might be worth trying.

Nial.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting last post. Might relate to the advice given to small bore rifle shooters (I am one) not to dwell on the target for more than a few seconds before firing because the original image is 'burnt' onto the retina and may give a false picture if the barrel shifts meanwhile.

Generally, this has been a fascinating and informative thread - thanks to all. I too suffer from left eye dominance as a right handed clay shooter. My latest home-spun effort at a remedy is to take the bottom corner of a plastic milk container (2 or 4 litres) and to fashion a kind of spoon, with a right angle kink, that will slide between the left hand side of the fore-end and the barrels on my o/u, with the cup of the spoon end at right angles to the barrels and the 'handle' tight up against the end of the fore-end. This blocks off the left side of the barrels and the sight from the left eye. A double thickness of the plastic ensures a reasonably tight fit between wood and steel. The tip of the spoon has to be about half an inch higher than the the top of the barrels and roughly square in shape. Test the device by closing the right eye and ensuring that the left eye cannot see beyond the spoon. I've described it rather badly, I'm afraid, but it won't take long for someone to experiment and perhaps see what I mean. In practice, the jury is still out on the benefits. I've tried it only once with promising but uncertain results - it does not put right my inherent refusal to swing the gun smoothly and give sufficient lead. The plastic spoon is definitely much better than blotting out part of the eye with a patch on one's glasses, which I have also tried - with bad results. You retain a good field of vision with the 'spoon'. It is also virtually free!

You can train your brain to start using your right eye, as it is your brain that determines these things. Ask TIMPS on here he knows how to do it.

I am right eye dominant (when you do the normal test) but some how my left eye takes over when mounting a shotgun and holding on a distant target/object. Only seems to happen on further away targets/objects. I can mount the gun with 2 eyes open and see the correct picture but on further away targets, the left eye starts to take over especially once the gun moves.

Been using a magic dot for some time now but everything i read says you're better of with both eyes open - so how do you train your brain to stop the left eye taking over.

Edited by Bigweed

An interesting last post. Might relate to the advice given to small bore rifle shooters (I am one) not to dwell on the target for more than a few seconds before firing because the original image is 'burnt' onto the retina and may give a false picture if the barrel shifts meanwhile.

No it's not the same effect.

I look at an object ~150 yards away, close my left eye and really focus on a point

with my right for a couple of seconds.

When I open my left eye I'm concious that my right eye is the dominant one. this

effect lasts for a few seconds, long enough to call for and shoot at a clay.

Nial.

Well just to update you (those who are interested anyway) I tried shooting left handed yesterday for the first time (both eyes open!!! most of the time :yes: ) Dusted the first 4 then it went a bit down hill. I recon i shot as well on first time left handed as i have my best RH, need to adjust my technique and try and get a few things sorted then lots of practice i think. It was as strange as i thought it would be I used 21g instead of 28g (until i build up shoulder muscles on the left but after 50-60 shoulder was sore but not bruised.

Shot a few rounds of skeet today, first round left eye closed 24/25 after dropping high 2 on the pair (idiot :yes: ).

Second round both eyes open using my newly fitted 'easyhit' bead. No problem shooting the going away and all the high birds but dropped 8 low birds, finishing on a 17/25.. :yes: :yes: :good:

Site picture ok on left to right, but on the right to left all I could see was the left side of the barrels :good::hmm::lol:

Havent shot skeet but seems like one eyed is the way forward for you! Are you left eye dominant? I take it you have been shooting along time?

I've been shooting skeet off and on for about 12 years.

I was left eye dominant when I started but when I reached my fifties things changed and I'm now between central vision and right eye dominant.

That's why I thought it was worth having a go with an 'easy-hit' :yes:

I know it takes perseverance and time to re-learn how to shoot with both eyes open, but every shoot I go to is a competition (at least between friends) and I can't afford to practice and have lessons to try and do so :yes:

Edited by KenG

I've been shooting skeet off and on for about 12 years.

I was left eye dominant when I started but when I reached my fifties things changed and I'm now between central vision and right eye dominant.

You shoot left handed? or right handed left eye?

ken. learn to ignore what you see and just rely on the bright bead, place this where you want it. :lol:

I know your 100% right Brian, but I hate making a fool of myself in front of others (yes I know I did at LLanbedrog :good: ).

I can't think of going to a shoot and doing really badly because I'm trying to get on with the easy hit..

At the skeet on Sunday the other shooters had never seen me shoot so badly as the round I tried with both eyes open, and they really enjoyed beating me (the ****).

I just wish I had my own land were I could practice without other shooters watching :lol:

I just wish I had my own land were I could practice without other shooters watching :good:

If you can afford a trap I'm sure you can go for a few practice rounds why not try a club further from regular haunts? SW2000? (ok perhaps a bit far!)

I'm sure someone locally has a spare field you could use. (or get laser)

Edited by HDAV

If you can afford a trap I'm sure you can go for a few practice rounds why not try a club further from regular haunts? SW2000? (ok perhaps a bit far!)

I'm sure someone locally has a spare field you could use. (or get laser)

:good::lol: :lol:

South Wales 2000 a four and a half hour drive from my house..

Great ground though :lol:

I would love to be able to afford one of those laser shot gizzmos but they cost a small fortune..

Shot a few rounds of skeet today, first round left eye closed 24/25 after dropping high 2 on the pair (idiot :good: ).

Second round both eyes open using my newly fitted 'easyhit' bead. No problem shooting the going away and all the high birds but dropped 8 low birds, finishing on a 17/25.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Site picture ok on left to right, but on the right to left all I could see was the left side of the barrels :P :P :P

Seems to me Ken, you are describing what happens when your combe is too low, Pack up your combe height with layers of cardboard, taped on and try R 2 Left targets again. :lol:

Interesting thread.

Glad you got things sorted HDAV. I've had a few lessons with Andrew at Treetops, he's a nice guy, my shooting has improved as a result, I just need to get out more and put in some practice to make it stick.

• 4 weeks later...
if you dont want to wait and get another stock and are looking at keeping your gun for a long time why not turn it into a cut out stock for your left eye. :whistling::good:

:oops:???

How much would that cost? not planning on keeping the RH O/U its for sale on here but no interest. Wary of spending money on not the right gun (or at least one that wont loose alot of value)