Please help with my eye issues!

HDAV

Right people can you please help me? I have left eye dom issues (R/H shooter, R/H cast gun) I tried some tissue on my glasses and it seemed to help, i also bought an easy hit bead, I have used a black marker to block out a spot on my glasses (non prescription) and fitted the easy hit temporarily but i cant see the red dot with both eyes open even with the glasses, Now i havent tried shooting yet but have been trying the gun in my living room (missus is away!) and aiming at everything from plates to trees but it just wont click what am i doing wrong?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right people can you please help me? I have left eye dom issues (R/H shooter, R/H cast gun) I tried some tissue on my glasses and it seemed to help, i also bought an easy hit bead, I have used a black marker to block out a spot on my glasses (non prescription) and fitted the easy hit temporarily but i cant see the red dot with both eyes open even with the glasses, Now i havent tried shooting yet but have been trying the gun in my living room (missus is away!) and aiming at everything from plates to trees but it just wont click what am i doing wrong?

You CAN'T see the easyhit bead at all or you can still see it with both eyes? If you can't see it at all then you have gun mount issues or the gun does not fit you. ( Excuse me if this is an insulting question but you have fitted the bead the right way round?). If you can see the dot with both eyes, as an easyhit user myself, I don't see how it would be physically possible to see the dot with both eyes once it has been fitted? The only other explanation would be that there isn't enough light being collected by the fibre optic bead but I can see mine ok even when practicing at night with just a table lamp on?

All you have to do is shout PULL.......See the target with both eyes open track the target, then close left eye a second before you pull trigger :unsure:

I tried all the gizmo's they dont work :hmm:

It will become second nature in time and you wont even know your doing it. I think it is actually correcting my eye dominance shooting like this.

Have you got a serious problem with your right eye, hence the glasses ?
Its not great but dont need glasses for driving the glasses are just some plastic shooting/safety glasses i wear for clays
You CAN'T see the easyhit bead at all or you can still see it with both eyes? If you can't see it at all then you have gun mount issues or the gun does not fit you. ( Excuse me if this is an insulting question but you have fitted the bead the right way round?).

pipe nearest the trigger? open bits next to the bead i cant see it with both eyes open only if i close my left.

The issue is i struggle to see the clays early enough with one eye closed (on crossers etc)

If anyone can give me live help I'll get the gun out and try it from what every one said about easyhit being miracles i was expecting more

Its not great but dont need glasses for driving the glasses are just some plastic shooting/safety glasses i wear for clays

pipe nearest the trigger? open bits next to the bead i cant see it with both eyes open only if i close my left.

The issue is i struggle to see the clays early enough with one eye closed (on crossers etc)

If anyone can give me live help I'll get the gun out and try it from what every one said about easyhit being miracles i was expecting more

Wouldn't call them miracles, I end up concentrating on the bead rather than the target (took me quite a while to get over that one) So, let me get this straight, you can see the bead fine with left eye closed but as soon as you open both eyes (without changing anything about your mount) the bead dissapears? And then I presume re-appers when you close your left eye again? When you have your left eye closed and can see the bead, can you see all of it, i.e. is it a full circle or only a partial circle?

Edited by Vipa

Wouldn't call them miracles, I end up concentrating on the bead rather than the target (took me quite a while to get over that one) So, let me get this straight, you can see the bead fine with left eye closed but as soon as you open both eyes (without changing anything about your mount) the bead dissapears? And then I presume re-appers when you close your left eye again? When you have your left eye closed and can see the bead, can you see all of it, i.e. is it a full circle or only a partial circle?

i see down the side of the bead both eyes open and left eye closed see the red dot so i blacked out the centre of the left lens on the glasses to give me more vision

Shoot left handed it takes a bit of getting used to but is simplest in the long run IMHO. I've never looked back

thought about that but my gun has RH cast.

BTW its a 28" SxS if that makes a difference

Edited by HDAV

you must have put it on the wrong way. you can not miss seeing it if its right. :unsure:

anni. a lot of the gizzmos DO work. :hmm:

Didnt realise you were left eye dominant B.

If your left eye dominant you will see the left side of the end of your barrells, because your left eye is tracking the target and that is what you are concentrating on the most.

Easyhit might work on cross eye dominance but not left eye, every one I know who has left eye dominance has taken theres off, if they tried it.

You can train your brain to start using your right eye, as it is your brain that determins these things. Ask TIMPS on here he knows how to do it.

Shot spot dosn't work because you can still see the left sides of the barrel through the misty spot, and it seems as though you have a smug on your lens.

It allso dosn't let you get a proper gauge on distance and depth because its smugging the clay out, you might aswell have your left eye shut.

I tried putting a black spot on my lenses blocking out the view of the end of the barrels but it just looked like a massive clay, I tried to nail it a few times.

Been there used them all. close your left eye the moment before you pull trigger, if you have a bad vision in your right eye then I dont know what you can do.

I have read many articles on left eye dominance, and alot of them said "left eye dominant forget shotgun shooting" very disheartening but total rubbish.

All my misses are down to me putting the gun in the wrong place and not dominant eye issues.

Find a bloody good coach and have at least two hours with him/her, it will be money well spent.

I have to say though that not all coaches are good just because they teach shooting. I`v seen a lot of people that think they can coach and have made things a lot worse. :unsure:

Find one that has a seriously good reputation, not necessarily the one in the gun shop or at your local club.

And no I`m not touting for business as I`m a bit too far away for you I think.

Find a bloody good coach and have at least two hours with him/her, it will be money well spent.

I have to say though that not all coaches are good just because they teach shooting. I`v seen a lot of people that think they can coach and have made things a lot worse. :unsure:

Find one that has a seriously good reputation, not necessarily the one in the gun shop or at your local club.

And no I`m not touting for business as I`m a bit too far away for you I think.

Can you recommend anyone in south wales Coach? the main grounds are SW2000 and treetops locally

Hey Guys n Gals......

Interested in this as being a very new clay buster, all of 14 weeks, when I bought my gun I was told I was left eye dominant - although despite me saying I was very new and not sure about gun mount. However, the gun was fitted by another member in the gun shop and took a lot of time making sure i mounted the gun correctly, then fitted the gun to me.

Since then, knowing this, even the other week i went to a game show and explained this on the Easy Hit sight, again they took time to check gun mount and did their test saying I was middle eye and needed the longer easy hit bead.

I have read many articles on eye dominance and so far the best I have come up with is, have a high thumb against the barrel ridge when holding the fore end, keeping both eyes open which was a Carl Bloxham tip out of a magazine, Clay shooting I think - sorry, best way I could describe it. The rest of it is try to mount the gun as consistently as possible.

I have tried closing one eye just before shooting and did have an improvement, but not as much as the tip by Carl Bloxham. I also bought an Easy Hit copy half the price but same thing, and found spent so much worrying about it all hit less than ever, and gave it a few shoots and got worse, took it off went back to the thumb thing and scores went right up.

Sometimes, think it is over exaggerated and over explained and often used as an excuse. I am just trying to mount the gun consistently, and keep banging at clays using the thumb technique as this has given me the best results thus far. I am also of the thinking that if you have an issue, just like a disability you learn to adapt and overcome.

As say I am very new to this, had lots of conflicting opinions by many people who know more than me, but this so far is working from me and I am seeing improvements,

Just my two pence :unsure:

I know that SW2000 is an awsome place and allows apsi coaches including apsi olympic coaches to teach there so give them a ring and ask. :lol:

I have heard some stories about it too I was after a recommendation for a coach (person) rather than a venue last time i rang them some miserable ****** put me right off :lol:

What does L1 Club L2 DTL/Trap L2 ESK L2 ESP SNR SGS mean? is L2 the top? CPSA site is not very easy to use and looks like it may be less than up to date

I have read many articles on eye dominance and so far the best I have come up with is, have a high thumb against the barrel ridge when holding the fore end, keeping both eyes open which was a Carl Bloxham tip out of a magazine, Clay shooting I think - sorry, best way I could describe it. The rest of it is try to mount the gun as consistently as possible.

Any chance of a link or a more in depth explanation? does that mean the thumb blocks your left eyes view?

I'm left eye dominant and have a poor vision through my right eye , hence the bottle top spec's :lol:

I will call for a bird then as soon as i see it shut my left eye making the target look alot further away :lol: something you have to adapt to .

If i use the easyhit bead i see double :lol:

I also tried the Thumb blocking the end of the barrels :lol: You hold the gun as usual and as you hold the forend with your left hand you flick the thumb up so it blocks out the end of the barrels.

Didn't work for me but worth a try :lol:

Dont let it get you down as you will find out what works best for you and then practice with it.

It worried me but I dont give it a thought now.

It dosn't seem to worry Magman either because he can shoot when he feels like it :lol:???

If you`ve had a bad experience with them mate then stay away. I know the ground is a bit special but I don`t know what their own club coaches are like.

Give this guy a ring. :lol:

JOHN BOND

Edited by Cranfield
Dopn't post telephone numbers or email addys on the Forum

Right i think beteen vaselins on the lens of my shooting specs (not prescritpion) and the easy hit (makes it easier to seem the bead i can keep both eyes open and sight the target (currently using an 8" plate 15' away to check)

Right coach, right gun and lots of practise. :lol:

I'm LED and RH shot, started last year, getting better with gun time.

I mount the gun in the house 20-30 times 4 nights a week.

We have the worst combination of LE an RH, so we have to learn to shoot left hand or work harder.

Good Luck

This is my little pet subject....

Unfortunately you get a lot of fantastic shots / coaches passing on advice but they have never suffered from cross dominance, they can smash clays for fun & teach most how to do it, but don’t understand the difficulty of cross dominance as they don’t see it through our eyes...

Everything suggested works to a point, it will increase your scores over doing nothing... As to the best its subjective... Everyone I have talked to that suffered the same problem as I had ( left eye dominant right handed & me and anni have talked about this a lot) tried them all came to the conclusion dimming an eye as the gun is mounted ( has to be gun down) or learning to change dominance is the way forward ( I will coincide shooting from the opposite shoulder works as i did this for a while as well but it’s as hard as changing dominance in my opinion)...

The gizmos work but there is always a target that they don’t seem too fair to well on... crossers and driven overheads being some.....

The easy hit is not bright enough in my opinion and lead me to look at the bead rather than the clay...

The best advice I can give is try them all and you will find one that suits but you but you have to give them all time not just 2 weeks and change to another method.... Me I changed my dominance and now see it from both sides as i remember what it was like before i did...

The dot on the glasses which was the first I used improved my scores no end but has to be my least favourite.... This is the problem, it worked instantaneously over doing nothing so instructors see the immediate benefit but don’t see the pupil progress, it was **** compared to dimming an eye or changing dominance but those take time to achieve effectively so not exactly on the syllabus in a 2 hour lesson, so instructors go for the easy quick fix not necessarily best long term solution.

But the good thing is plenty of great shots have overcome it :lol:

Hi original geezer. This is a subject I am very interested in.

I have tried some of the gizmos also. Left eye/central dominant and Right handed. I have not tried the thumb trick yet so will give that a go.

The patch over my prescription glasses, tried it over a few rounds of skeet, didnt umprove one bit but came away with a blackeye and swelling as subconsciously I was tilting my head over. Wont be doing that again.

Tried the easy hit very recently and to be honest I never really gave it much chance. The whole picture with both eyes open is just weird and I found it hard to focus on the clay.

Then tried closing one eye just before pulling the trigger. This also takes patience because you have to get your timing right. This doesnt come naturally to me anyway which complicates things a little , also I find that because of this I shoot the clay much later than other shooters, tracking the clay for longer. This wasnt too bad at my local club but when I shot my first and only proper comp I was well and truely ****** as the course had many stands with short "windows" of opportunity.

Also Im sure my dominance changes with the type of target e.g on L to R crossers or rabbits if the target moves past centre then my right eye takes over and Im positive that I shoot with both eys open.

I agree with Timps that it is very hard to explain to someone who shoots with both eyes open, find a coach who shoots with one eye closed or who has overcome this.

I have had a few lessons, most instructors will try and find the quick fix and send you on your way none the wiser!

I have recently booked a lesson with a coach on this website who I found out shoots this way. I will let you know how I get on.

As im now 40 Im hoping that middle age will force an eye dominance change to right eye and my problems will be solved :lol: