Wildcat Moderator

Bali

Hi

I have just had a new Wildcat Predator 8 fitted to my remmington 700 .223 and would like to know how often you guy's actually strip it down for cleaning or is the norm to give it a spray with wd40/gun oil after each outing

Nick

Hi Nick,

Rule of thumb is clean when it needs to be cleaned ie if there is a good build up of kak. i do mine every now and then. there is no harm in keeping a moddy clean. you wouldnt let your rifle get too dirty would you. im sure youll hear otherwise on here but i am ex army and know that a clean rifle and well looked after kit will save your life

Hi Nick,

Rule of thumb is clean when it needs to be cleaned ie if there is a good build up of kak. i do mine every now and then. there is no harm in keeping a moddy clean. you wouldnt let your rifle get too dirty would you. im sure youll hear otherwise on here but i am ex army and know that a clean rifle and well looked after kit will save your life

Cheers sharpshot

I always clean the rifle after every outing but there seems to be different views re moderators. I think I will keep on my usual routine and strip it down after a couple of outings or if it gets soaked.

Nick

I clean mine after every use.

I am not suggesting that is what everyone should do but I do it for the following reasons.

1 The mod lives on the rifle and even though I store it barrel down I don't want any crud falling on my crown or barrel.

2 Its easy to strip after each outing...especially if you grease/oil all the joints each time!

3 It's easy(ish) to clean if you do it every time.

4 No re-zeroing problems as may develop if you leave everything to build up.

5 if you don't do it every time you are likely to weld all the joints together, have a hell of a job getting it apart and a hell of a job cleaning it.

I have never had to re zero my rifles after a full P8 strip and clean!

ATB!!

Edited by Dekers

I am not suggesting that is what everyone should do but I do it for the following reasons.

1 The mod lives on the rifle and even though I store it barrel down I don't want any crud falling on my crown or barrel.

2 Its easy to strip after each outing...especially if you grease/oil all the joints each time!

5 if you don't do it every time you are likely to weld all the joints together, have a hell of a job getting it apart and a hell of a job cleaning it.

ATB!!

Thanks Dekers I've yet to try the Zero after taking it off

I think you are meant to take a mod of a rifle for storage. Not good practice to leave it on a powder burner as it can cause rusting.

Not a problem if you strip it and clean it, as I do with the mod and rifle...and then still leave it barrel down in storage!! :sick::shout:

Hi just jumping on post but is it normal to store rifles mussel down?

What is "normal"??

It isn't a problem in any respect, and anyone who has had their crown *****d by crud from the moderator will know the advantages!

As it happens guns generally fit better in the cabinet if you alternate them this way!! :good::yes:;)

ATB!!

Try reading this article from shooting uk, the first part is about getting the alignment and fit right the latter half is about how to clean, store and maintain your sound moderator. Hope this helps.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/181209/TO..._moderator.html

Thanks, I'm going to strip it down when I get home and store it upside down from now on!

ATB!!

:o