mangy fox sunday night

snowz

since i've had my rifle back i've not had the pleasure of christening it. Sunday day time i was out with the mrs and the dogs looking to christen the Tikka .223 with a long range bunny or crow and the mrs new Baikal .410 just bought off here. Not a lot out, was just driving round and rustled up 2 foxes in the field, they didn't hang around for a shot so headed home empty handed.

Decided to pop back out to the farm with my bro Sunday night to show him what lamping was and we spotted this mangy vixen 120yds away, sent the 60gr V max to put her out her misery

Image0097.jpg

Image0098.jpg

Image0099.jpg

spotted another fox in the field behind that was limping on front right poor but couldn't get a shot on this one, will go out in the week to look for this one

was it an attempted head shot or standing front on looking at you?

when i was looking through the scope to take the shot she was coming in head down to the floor straight in front of me, she then paused and i squeezed of the round, i was aiming for head and she raised it as/while i was taking shot so slightly lower impact than i was aiming hence the lower jaw and front chest impact

just shows why head shots are a bad idea, In this case not an issue but shows what a centrefire bullet does to a jaw if it goes a little low.

i think it all depends on the situation, and the shot that can be taken, this fox was head on coming straight towards me head down, the only shot on was a head shot. If she was side on then a vital body shot could of been taken or even a head shot but you can only take whats presented to you at the time, a dead fox is still a dead fox with or without its jaw, i can put up plenty of pics of body shot foxes with a lot more damage than a broken off jaw.

And one less lamb killer in the farmers fields

But i do agree with what your saying, it doesn't take much movement from the fox to make the shot change and instead of a clean kill you would get an injured fox instead.

Looking at the state of her it seems that whatever shot "did the job" it was the kindest thing to do, and like you said, that's one less to worry about!

We all should know what is the best shot to take in ideal situations but out in the field the "ideal shot" does not always present itself and you have to take whatever shot what you can and do the job as humanely as possible! If (by the slightest chance) the end result is not such a pretty sight then we don't show a photo of it.

(This is not pointing the finger at anyone at all, it is just a generalisation)

Edited by Frenchieboy

the mange is quite interesting as that looks like it is recovering from it, there are no red marks or scabs and almost looks like the hair is growing back. In the wild its rare to recover so there is a faint chance thats a released one

the mange is quite interesting as that looks like it is recovering from it, there are no red marks or scabs and almost looks like the hair is growing back. In the wild its rare to recover so there is a faint chance thats a released one

I agree al4x, we have shot 4 this year that are in the same way, all 4 were shot within 2 nights on the same farm we had 7 all told but 4 showing mange marks, i would bet all of them were released they all came in to the call flat out.

Alex

Edited by Shotgunspud

strange isn't it, I had a really mangy one last year and that stank of decomposing flesh and you could see the poor ****** had scratched it right through the surface layers of flesh. To my knowledge they don't get better without treatment, still if they call well so much the better!

she looked a lot worse than the picture makes her look, her tail was skinny and kinked cant say i noticed any worse smell than normal tho. The other fox i saw was limping so 2 foxes in close vicinity to each other not in good health

I see that you are in Herefordshire. If this fox was shot on land between Hereford and Moreton on Lugg there is a place near there that I believe they release a few now and then. (In the big lay bye near the old hop yard).

yes i'm from Hereford, i think i know where you mean but not sure if they do that or not. Foxes cover a lot of ground so could of came from anywhere

nice shooting :yes: hows the 410? :yes:

just replied on your foxing post.

went out sunday but no joy with the .410 nothing about till i had the fox later that evening,going back out the weekend to have another look to christen it.

Stalking on the weekend was good but no deer killed, other shooters in the area got the deer spooked and not hanging around or in usual haunts, will have to go back down for another go soon, had a fox down their tho on the friday night :yes: