Steel Shot

richg

Just an update, iv'e got some free time at present, so have been chasing the woodies these last few days.

I go out about 11am, and get set up for about 12.30. today (Tuesday) i shot 80, yesterday 49. Sunday 29. and Saturday 103.

Thats 261 in four afternoons. All with Gamebore 7.1/2 STEEL. Some were 28gram but most were 24gram.

Going out again tomorrow. Shooting mostly on chopped maize but was on rape today.

Just an update, iv'e got some free time at present, so have been chasing the woodies these last few days.

I go out about 11am, and get set up for about 12.30. today (Tuesday) i shot 80, yesterday 49. Sunday 29. and Saturday 103.

Thats 261 in four afternoons. All with Gamebore 7.1/2 STEEL. Some were 28gram but most were 24gram.

Going out again tomorrow. Shooting mostly on chopped maize but was on rape today.

Thats some good shooting :yes: i use same cartridge but not with those results :rolleyes:

hi fella, why do you use 7/halfs i thought 6s would be best or am i wrong? cheers matt

I use steel because all my pigeons go to feed birds of prey (can't use lead) and i use 7.1/2 because they are loaded for clays and only cost £34 for 250, if i could find steel 6s for that price i would use them.

As i said earlier, if i could get 5s or 6s for £34 a slab i would. I collected another 500. 7.1/2 Steel today and i asked about getting some 5s or 6s in steel, he said no problem, i have some right here, £56 for 250. £34 or £56. it was a difficult call i know but i went for the cheaper option (surprise) But apart from the price, they do the job, i kill a lot of pigeons with them.

36 this afternoon puts me over 300 this week.

Thats absolutely right, with maize the pigeons can fill their crops very quickly, so first thing in the morning they fill up and clear off back to the woods to digest it, not often coming back to feed till the afternoon. A big problem i find at the moment is the fact that there are so many maize strips about. one area i shoot has maybe 50 strips within a 15 minute radius, this means the birds just clear off to another one if shot at, also this still weather is not helping, we must pray for wind.

:shout: 24g steel 7.5's for pigeons?

I always thought you were meant to go at least one size up when switching from lead to steel, 7.5.. that would be the equivalent to using lead 8's on pigeon :sick:

Just a clay cart in my opinion.

I've used 8 and even 9 shot at decoying pigeon. They do the job if you keep within 30- 40 yards. I regularly use 7 1/2 in lead and outperform my mate who uses 5's.

I RECENTLY BOUGHT A GUN OFF RICH AND WENT DECOYING WITH HIM TO TRY THE GUN OUT HE SUPPLIED ALL THE CARTS 24g steel 7.5's for pigeons I WAS VERY SURPRISED I USE 32 6S I HAD A GREAT DAY WE SHOT 63 WITH ONE GUN IN A COUPLE OF HOURS MOST OF THESE SHOT BY RICH HE NOWS HIS STUFF FIRST TIME I MET THE GUY A REAL PLEASURE THANKS AGAIN WELL WORTH THE 180 MILE TRIP AND A GREAT GUN THANKS LINNY

Edited by linny

Oh god here we go........ perhaps I should use my 21gms 8s for deeking???

mmmmmmm........... or throw sticks at them...... or ...... 32gms of 6 which I usually do but its sounding a bit brutal in this thread!!!

Why not if you can get them in really close and not be tempted to take long shots it will kill them..

I reload my own cartridges and i use 32gms No 6 or 28gms No6 depends which bag i pick up.... :huh::yes:

but i also have a few 1000 No 7.5 in 28gms and would feel happy using these as well you just have to know the range you are shooting at and if you are decoying and they are coming in well most are shot inside 25yds... :yes:

Steel is sounding a cheap substitute but i would ask of you all when replying can you specify the make and model of gun you are using :yes:

I have a beretta urika 2 and it says i can use steel shot but the gunshop i bought it from said and i quote

"beretta say it will shoot steel but i wouldnt recomend you do":P?:oops:?:yes:?

Where does that leave me :yes:

So let me know what gun and has anyone damaged a gun using steel????:huh: BM..

Edited by berettaman

Steel is sounding a cheap substitute but i would ask of you all when replying can you specify the make and model of gun you are using :yes:

I have a beretta urika 2 and it says i can use steel shot but the gunshop i bought it from said and i quote

"beretta say it will shoot steel but i wouldnt recomend you do":P?:oops:?:yes:?

Where does that leave me :yes:

So let me know what gun and has anyone damaged a gun using steel????:huh: BM..

The gun i sold to Linny is a Remington 1187 Premier Auto 1/2 choke. and it's had thousands of steel cartridges through it without any ill effect or damage to the barrel. My new gun is the same model in camo, and it's on a steel diet all the time at the moment. iv'e never gone tighter than 1/2 choke, though the handbook says i can go full choke on steel.

The bloke in your gunshop is a complete pillock. And you can tell him I said that!

Your Urika 2 is designed for the U.S. market and heavy use with steel shot and will come to no harm whatsoever.

In the early days of the use of steel in this country, then a generally inferior product frequently fired through guns not intended for its use, there was allegedly some damage caused by it. I say allegedly because I could never actually find a gun damaged by the use of steel shot to inspect. Everybody knew someone whose gun had been ring bulged or scored in the barrel, but actually getting to see the damaged gun was another matter.

But that was then and your gun is specifically designed to cope with the issues raised by the use of steel.

The Beretta family of semi autos is very popular with wildfowlers, many of whom use heavy steel loads for preference when fowling. I do not know of a single one who has had issues with the gun arising from the use of steel shot.

The bloke in your gunshop is a complete pillock. And you can tell him I said that!

Your Urika 2 is designed for the U.S. market and heavy use with steel shot and will come to no harm whatsoever.

In the early days of the use of steel in this country, then a generally inferior product frequently fired through guns not intended for its use, there was allegedly some damage caused by it. I say allegedly because I could never actually find a gun damaged by the use of steel shot to inspect. Everybody knew someone whose gun had been ring bulged or scored in the barrel, but actually getting to see the damaged gun was another matter.

But that was then and your gun is specifically designed to cope with the issues raised by the use of steel.

The Beretta family of semi autos is very popular with wildfowlers, many of whom use heavy steel loads for preference when fowling. I do not know of a single one who has had issues with the gun arising from the use of steel shot.

I will make no secret that the shop i bought it from was northallerton shooting supplies and theres a lot of people around locally who have dealt with this man

and it seems they put a lot of stock into what he says so this comes as an enlightenment as i was going to buy some steel carts when i got my permision but held back on remembering what he said and paid alot more for some proper pigeon carts (produced localy)thats the sale name,but obviously now i could have saved myself a fair bit of dosh ,oh well se la vie :huh:

Edited by berettaman