Need a new gun dog..............................

Evil Elvis

Flatcoat Retriever

Sounds interesting

whots your reason for not want in a springer or a cocker hmm1.gif

Its quite simple, I just dont get them, not that I dont like them, simply they do nothing for me. :yes:

My pointer is now 12 and th emrs doesnt like labs, she grew up with Sheperds and I have to say I like them a lot but apart from deer tracking theyre not really good gundogs! :yes:

Lots of HPR breeds out there... Finding a good proven working strain could prove that bit harder mind!

I'm sure al4x will be along shortly with his view on things :yes:

For me... I'd play safe and have something like a lab, or a Toller.

You know you want a clumber.....

You're a roughshooter and do very little peg stuff so you want something that's gonna hunt 'em up and maybe retrieve if you're lucky, but be steady enough to do nowt 'til you want it to. Plus it's got to be cute 'cos you've got daughters!!

Failing that, I've got a mate with a chihuahua...

Lots of HPR breeds out there... Finding a good proven working strain could prove that bit harder mind!

I'm sure al4x will be along shortly with his view on things :lol:

possibly, though I would say that pointers are better in this country if you do more rifle shooting than shotgun, though mine is ok beating we shall see if she is ever spot on on anything but small syndicate standards. Rough shooting she shows a lot more potential and is good in that she works a lot slower than most of the normal shooting breeds. That said there to me is a big difference between the short hairs and the wires, wires tend to be steadier and more laid back. EE you're pretty much just left with a lab or retriever of some sort if you don't want a cocker or springer, no offence to anyone but I do see where you're coming from with that one and like you I have to say I did like the thread with the fox reds in. What you need to work out is what kind of shooting you're going to be doing and look for a suitable dog from that.

Oh, yeah, a toller's playing it safe alright--a safe bet to make somebody insane who's never trained one. Are there any trained tollers over there? They can be trained to do anything

100_0949.jpg

and don't have to be trained for tolling, but you don't want a toller if you've never trained a nonslip retriever unless you're inviting insanity.

As the original poster's coming from a pointer perspective, if he commits to working it, a spinone would be just the ticket as gundog, family dog, and a lot of gratification ahead as a reward for training and working it.

MG

What would your missus like EE as sounds like she is wearing the trousers on this decision tongueff.gif

Hmmmm there is an "influence"....she loves sheperds and shares my view on cockers and springers. Im now thinking pointer no 3...has to be an english though...Ive had orange and balck and white, a liver would be nice.......

Though i do love beryl the clumber it has to be said :lol:

the only thing I'll say about English ones is there are some hellishly dopy ones about, Obviously sheperds won't do what you want at all, I'm biased but the best pointer has to be the GWP from both nature / temperament and ability. Even if mine did try and retrieve the local hoody the other day you can't want for a nicer natured dog.

I am with Al4x, my young shorthair is nearly 2 and starting to steady up, great dog but a massive ammount of work.It looks like I might have secured myself a job as berufsjager (Professional hunter/gamekeeper/gilly) and as such have decided that I will need a second dog, this one will be a wirehair for all the reasons he has stated, plus the fact that they are harder than a shorthair.they will readily enter thick cover, and are hard enough to deal with wounded pig........they do need occasionally stiching up again I must say mind!!