Need a new gun dog..............................

Evil Elvis

Baz,

You are definitely not old enough for a lab / golden retriever and they are not for your (our) kind of shooting mate.

I really don't think an English Pointer is what you want from a working perspective either.

How's about a GSP bitch, I would not recommend a GSP male on anyone I consider a friend, or as has already been suggested one of the wire haired breeds?

Agree with that. Seen a few real big male GSPs too; way taller than the breed standard upper limit.

Without wishing to de-rail the discussion - not something I have thought about much before but how on earth do people get on with an "intact" dog and a new (younger) bitch in the same house?

I think it would be like WW3 in my house!

Agree with that. Seen a few real big male GSPs too; way taller than the breed standard upper limit.

Without wishing to de-rail the discussion - not something I have thought about much before but how on earth do people get on with an "intact" dog and a new (younger) bitch in the same house?

I think it would be like WW3 in my house!

Total nightmare- doggy holiday with (sympathetic) breeder was one solution

John was very helpful and Scout was one of his favourite trials dog so always

welcome.Otherwise the male will be a nervous wreck by the end of the season

and your neighbours less than impressed by the singing.

BTW if anybody has ESS with the Millsdrake bloodline I would be more than a little

interested to see photos his full name was 'Acorn Scout of Millsdrake'

He had one litter while with us and John said he had several previously.

I miss him greatly he was a credit to the breed and the toughest going ESS in cover

I have ever seen his location was never in doubt snapping branches made it

obvious. :huh::yes: :yes: :P:oops::yes:???:lol::good:

i have a 10 month old male german wirehair pointer and he is shaping up nicely. he has an excellent nose and is a keen hunter---he can go all day. he has a very good aptitude for retrieving and he has an affinity for water (hope to use him for light duck duty as well as upland work) he is naturally obedient and wants to please. his temperment is very good and he gets on very good with my wifes little house dogs. the gwp gundogs require alot of exercise ----------they are high energy and need an environment that will afford them space for running and playing. if left alone they can be quite destructive. mine has recently chewed up a commercial grade garden hose,and he routinely destroys my wifes potted plants and digs holes and has destroyed other things. most large gundog puppys will do that sort of thing. all in all he is a very loveable and enjoyable dog. he is good with my nine year old grandson , but is a bit too energetic for small children. i really like this breed.

p.s. my 10 month old pup is large ( approx 77 lbs. ) he is long legged and muscular. he will get a tad bigger. his disposition is excellent--but he is very, very energetic.

they can be a hand full and i would not recommend them to a person unless he had a proper home with adequate space for the dog to romp about and a gwp owner must be

willing and able to exercise them at least an hour afield most days. i have put aside my mountain biking for walking since i got this pup.

Edited by deadeye

:yes: I seriously wouldnt have a german pointer after witnessing a mate try to train one!!! He put in a lot of effort and whilst a stunning beast....hes a ***!! :good:

elvis,

take any breed that exists and you will have dogs that are superb and others that are tu*#ds. my pups sire and dame are both competant gun dogs and i have been around five of my pups siblings and they are all finding, pointing and retrieving both crippled and dead birds. all five siblings that i have seen demonstrate the ability to be nurtured into competant gun dogs. i have had labs, various spainels and an english pointer and an english setter and have been around gun dogs my entire life. you will find good and very poor in all these breeds. this is my first gwp, but he is ahead of the pack so far. i will grant you that they are extremely high energy and as pups they are a pure hand full around the house and i assure you that they will at times destroy and chew things up and no doubt will pi#$ off the wife etc.. don't get one if expect a perfect little angel that is a couch potato. such a dog would be worthless afield. the royal marines and para units select young men who are tough, energetic and aggressive because they are suited for elite military duty. the gwp is suited for serious gun dog duty and their main drive is to move and locate game. in selecting any dog of any breed take a long and serious look at the dogs sire and dame. don't buy a dog or take one for free unless you know what his linage is and make sure that the mother and father dog both demonstrate the characteristics that you are looking for---the apple does not fall far from the tree.

p.s. those lively bouncing boobs have clouded your judgement

Edited by deadeye

make sure you get an idea of both parents and yup a bitch is far easier. I've seen a couple of male GWP's that were humungous with owners that clearly weren't prepared for a boistrous very big unruly dog.

Yea i know a real mans dog thats what iv got and he is top of the list gwp all the way :good: ,if trained they will do what you want them to but they are head strong you need to be firm with them let them know who is boss you cannot give them 1mm. GO FOR A GWP :good: Wouldnt have him in the house though far to big anyhow gun dogs should be oot side, when getting one of these always look at the past history as there is alot of show types!

Edited by hutchie the white hunter