Best Bait for fox trap?

I Would Agree with Dekers, reserch, Most Importaint!!! , then bait the same time and spot daily, dog food has worked well for me with a mix of dead pigeons and rabbits to give foxy a nice change. also I use a nice metal big feed bowl and give it a good rattle Each time you leave the bait, also leave out water and some straw under a small shelter for him to have a nice kip after his supper!,( yes you did read right and several times ive caught them asleep in the straw!). You almost get the feeling you are being watched as I leave the bait :hmm: !

Then wait a suitable distance away, a short wait and usualy 'Bingo'

Rifle or shotgun depending on distance. Dont realy have the time to spend half the night out with the lamp, so bring them to you and in your own time. Got 12 so far this year using this method.

Mate of mine has a large fox cage trap and has built an inner smaller cage and puts a live chicken in, with food water etc, He swops chicken for another every 2 or 3 days so chicken does not get too bored.

Seems to work well but not sure about using live bait but the chicken does survive eventhough it may be slightly traumatised!

Best Wishes

Pippin Pup

LMSO are you for real? I dont have the time but "pippin pup" must surely be an anagram for some sort of p.. taker.

Nope its not an anagram, so perhaps you really do erect little houses for Charly complete with bedding and water?

Men in white coats come to mind... lol.

Cheers Rob.

Edited by dusk2dawn

Dekers, I would agree with you mate. The first week it was set, it was set off, but cunning fox managed to get out, and I really don't know how.

Today, I went to the trap and it had caught, but not charlie, I had a crow in it. So I knocked together a larsen trap and he is in there now as a call bird.

So far, no foxes, but I have put fresh pigeon in the trap today, and with luck it might work :hmm:

once the door is shut tight they very rarely do they get out not with me any way had a few try the hardest to chew throu the wire . you will find with foxes they dont like to feel the wire beneath there feet entering the cage also alot of traps get triggerd by foxes who have been caught before and released again they know the routine therefore push there paws throu the wire to claw the bait over to the side setting off the trap door .

no see if you can set it in a flower bed and then use lose soil to lightly cover the floor makeing sure the door frame is free from stones if on grass push the trap back and fourth till the grass comes throu and covers the wire :hmm: keep the bait centre of cage behind the treadle .i put some lose bait around front of cage small amounts then at the gate i spill anice little bit to get a feeding frenzey on the go then small amount inside gate by then he should have committed to his stomach mode i place a small plastic bag with dog food in it.the bag punctured and half under the treadle :oops: dont worry it can take a few days as they are not stupid and regonise a new object in the garden .

What is the best bait to use in a cage trap for fox?

I was thinking old stinky rabbit with guts hanging out. Would this be right?

Any suggestions appreciated.

All the very best,

SSS :hmm:

I used to shoot with a game keeper and he would use a dead tom cat, it had to have been dead for a while. Alwats got the ****** he was after ( dont ask where he got his toms from).

ATB Clynt

• 3 weeks later...

i just skipped to the last post to say horse hoof trimmings, if its already up tuff titties :good:

edit to ad titties is not on the auto remove list :lol:

titties titties titties titties titties titties titties titties titties titties titties titties titties titties titties titties titties titties titties titties titties titties titties titties titties

Ohhhhhhhhhhh that feels good :good:

Edited by pavman

For a fox trap, I would try getting a fresh dead rabbit with guts hanging out. Trail it on the ground in the area where the trap is set, which will produce a scent, which should help get quicker results. Then, put the rabbit in the trap, set the trap, and maybe wear gloves to keep the human scent off. One problem with foxes is if they smell human scent, it will be harder to catch them.

That's what I would recommend anyway.

Guys, I am having real problems with the trap. The bait is tied to the trigger, and as soon as the bait is touched, the door closes.

The problem I am having is, I haven't caught charles yet, what I have caught goes as follows:

First, a stoat took the roadkill pheasant which was in the trap,

Next, I caught 3 crows, one each day for 3 days with a pigeon as bait.

After that, I had no luck with dog food, so changed to rabbit.

The rabbit went rotten and was removed with no luck.

A few days after, I put another pigeon in, and caught a sparrowhawk, it was released and flew away happily.

Today, I went up the field to check it, and there was a badger in it! He was released and made for the hedge with some snorting noise!

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong!

• 3 weeks later...

Not much luck at all! And the worst part is, I know there is foxes there, I have shot many, and I disturbed a vixen and cubs sniffing around it a couple of weeks ago. I must be doing something right because its catching, just the wrong things!

SSS,

Your trap clearly works, but the foxes don't seem too keen. I spoke to a friend today who was having fox problems a few weeks ago, he struggled to start with using pigeons etc. Since he changed his bait he's caught 6. I can't believe his idea, Lamb Chops!!

I suppose he's got picky foxes, he is a butcher, so it's easy to get hold of tired chops, which helps!

Chris

Not reading the post fully is the trap new ? if so chuck it in a ditch for 6 months :blush: then go from there :oops:

Its not new, infact very old, and been stored in a field in grass about 18 inches tall!

It just seems to be amazing me, the things I am catching!

Who knows, I maybe the first to trap a big black cat! :hmm:

• 3 years later...