Beginners Question

BigDave15

Dave,I'm going to set myself up for a slagging off,but here goes........Unless you are a damned fine shot,go for the twenty bore every time,the .410 just does'nt leave enough room for error.If anybody tells you different,ask to watch them shooting decoyed pigeons with a .410,then tell me I'm wrong......... :evil:

This is a "no contest" question.

A 20 bore is more suitable for shooting decoyed wood pigeons than a .410.

Is there some reason that you don,t want to consider a 12 bore?

I had my first single barrel 12 bore at 11 years of age and my first double at 14.

A good fitting gun,with a recoil pad if necessary, is quite comfortable for a young person to use.

Other reasons include, the gun will probably be cheaper to buy and the cartridges definitely will be.

Have to agree with Cranfield here Dave.  If there is no good reason why you can't shoot a 12ga - this is what you should go for.  You said yourself that it's easier to hit the birds with a 20 compared to a .410, well it's easier to hit birds with a 12 compared to a 20!  Price and availability of both gun and cartridges are better too.   :thumbs:

Big Dave, Hopefully, once you have decided on a make and model, you will have the chance to try it out on clays before you buy.

Don,t be put off by the weight, remember when you are decoying, the gun is resting on your lap or elsewhere for 95% of the time.Its not as though you are having to carry it around all day.

Good Dad you,ve got there......worth keeping. :thumbs:

Well,there is reduced recoil(gas operated) and its a bit easier in a small hide as you don't have to break the gun and get it caught in the netting.My Benelli is inertia operated so it has only a little less recoil than an O/U,but I only use it on the geese :thumbs:

The only thing i can think of is the price

but i suppose you could go for an f.a.c up to 10 shot but the trouble  is i dont have one. just a shotgun certifcate but thats the great thing about pigeon shooting you can use any gun that you like, my dad likes the semi auto but he dosent do anything like game shooting if he did he might want to go for an over/under or the good old side by side. :thumbs:

Semi's give you extra shots, less felt recoil and as Deako says, are easily handled in the tight confines of a hide.  There is the problem of only having one choke, but generally you know what sort of shooting you'll be doing and so can choose the best choke for the job (you can also change chokes in seconds if need be).

Again, it boils down to personal preference and what works best for you.  We're supposed to be sharing opinions here, not arguing with eachother.

My first gun was a semi auto. What it taught me was good gun safety, as the gun cannot be broken. I found it had very little recoil & was a nice gun to use, the extra shot was very handy. I understand what your saying about the chokes, but it's only now, years later that I can switch from bottom to top barrell if I need to. I swopped my semi for an O/U because I was'nt shooting as well as I thought I could. In the end it had nothing to do with the gun , it was just me learning how to shoot. I think it is down to personal choice, & whatever your shooting with, it takes time to adjust. At the end of the day, if you enjoy it & your safe, it was worth the money. Anyway for what it's worth, thats my opinion.

Over the years I have owned too many shotguns.At one time my collection was around 30 guns.

Everything from a 3 shot bolt action .410 to a sidelock Army & Navy s/s.

I have enjoyed using all of the guns, but I shot better with some than others, for one main reason.

The gun fitted me and "felt" right.

The majority of us buy ready made guns and some people pay very little attention to "fit".

I consider weight a part of "fit" as well.

Thats why I suggest to people to test fire the gun, if at all possible.

I have owned Beretta and Remington gas autos and moaned when the regulations cut them back to 3 cartridges, but I have never seen the need for large capacity shotgun magazines.

What is going to hang around long enough to have ten shots fired at it ? :0

Well thank you all for your opinions. I have now got more info than I can handle but I will try to take it all in. I especially like the comment about "what is going to hang around for 10 shots", I have difficulty getting them to hang around for my second. I use an O/U at the moment which I am going to get fitted as I find I am underneath most birds when I take the gun up too quickly. I am looking down on the barrells as opposed to along them. But as the season has just started I will be a bit slower aiming and get the gun fitted at the end of the year and practise on a few clays so I dont miss out on the fun. Thanks again

Tim,

Don't be so touchy mate, I wasn't even commenting on your post in particular but the tone of the forum in general.  Go and take ten deep breaths or something!

(PS: semi's are the best)   :laugh:  :laugh:

Oh go on and have a laugh about it mate.