best time for pigeon shooting

Hubertus

what is in your opinion the best time for pigeon shooting in the year?in your country?

In Germany we are since this year only allowed to the pigeons in the time between 1. of November and 28. February. So there is no longer any shooting on the stubbles.

I had my biggest baggs in end of juli/august.

Waidmannsheil!

Hubertus

Hubertus, as you may know, we have a 12 month season for pigeon shooting, as they are classified as an agricultural pest.

I like pigeon shooting best in late Summer /early Autumn and Spring.

There are usually plenty of birds about and the weather is quite kind.

Winter shooting, is often cold, wet and difficult (for me).

In Germany we are since this year only allowed to the pigeons in the time between 1. of November and 28. February. So there is no longer any shooting on the stubbles.

Well at the rate which pigeons can breed and bearing in mind like you say the big bags are usually taken in the summer the pigeon population should skyrocket, its very hard to actually "reduce" the number of woodpigeon in a country you can control it and keep it stable though, therefore if the population does rise, and begins causing agricultural damage, they'll make it as pest and you'll have your full season shooting again with more pigeons about then ever :(

Any ideas why they introduced a season for pigeon in germany?

We had always a season for pigeons. But before it was from the 15. juli up to the 31. march. So much more longer. Now its nearby impossible to shot anymore pigeons. but we don't have so many compared with england.

In Germany its sometimes a little bit different...we can buy any rifle or gun we want to.. i could buy 20 rifles in .308 if i want to. but we have to make a very difficult test to get our hunting license. But if you succeed its much more easier with guns and rifles.

But the shooting seasons are worser....

Horrido!

Hubertus